LogicalFallacy

Harassment, unwanted or undesired behaviour - where does it lead

Relevant to our recent discussions on the SCOTUS nominees potential past and current behaviour:

Cop takes photo of woman's bum

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/lifestyle/2018/10/cop-takes-photo-of-unsuspecting-woman-s-bum-at-a-drake-concert.html

So the first question would be, is this ok behaviour? I'd say no. Now one might point out that its a public place at a public event. Very true. But does that entitle people to go round taking photos that are clearly for a sexual purpose without consent? What about at a beach?

Here we have a cop taking pictures at the same time high profile events are taking place about sexual harassment and assault.

All I can say is some people are as thick as bricks.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Inappropriate and it should be easy enough to investigate and confirm the guy in question.  He will get punished in some way, would be interesting to see how but probably hard to find a follow up article.

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Relevant to our recent discussions on the SCOTUS nominees potential past and current behaviour:

Cop takes photo of woman's bum

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/lifestyle/2018/10/cop-takes-photo-of-unsuspecting-woman-s-bum-at-a-drake-concert.html

So the first question would be, is this ok behaviour? I'd say no. Now one might point out that its a public place at a public event. Very true. But does that entitle people to go round taking photos that are clearly for a sexual purpose without consent? What about at a beach?

Here we have a cop taking pictures at the same time high profile events are taking place about sexual harassment and assault.

No, I wouldn't put too much weight on the it's in public argument. If you do, you give people permission to take and spread photos not only of women, but of children as well. The beach in particular can be a popular place for these creeps. As someone who has had pictures of myself surreptitiously taken on the beach, after which I realized it wasn't only of me, but of several young girls who were oblivious to the situation, I get pissed off about that argument. Particularly when the creeps in question are making it plain as day that there's something really off about them.

14 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I would say it isn't okay behavior morally, but it's apparently okay legally, at least in Massachusetts.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/05/massachusetts-upskirt-court-legal

I read a story years ago about a guy using one of those mirror-canes to look up the skirts of minors in a store of some sort, like a Target or something.  He got away with it too, because people outside don't have an expectation of privacy.  This is definitely an area where the law needs to catch up to the times.

14 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I've heard many a policeman say that they don't catch the smart ones.  I guess it applies in the reverse as well.

At the very least that was inappropriate behavior, but the world changed forever when the Iphone was invented. Now, virtually everyone has a camera and video recorder with them pretty much all the time. If you're a female, on a public beach, with a really tiny bikini on, then you should expect you will be the subject of some photos and videos. 

If anyone is doing anything in public they would not want family and friends to know about, then you need to wise up. Everyone is a target now. The Iphone sees everything and in most cases it is instantly posted to some social media platform. 

If you and your significant other pose for nude photos.......well, need I say more? :wacko:<_<

As far as I know you'll be facing charges in Canada if you intentionally take these kinds of pictures in public and the police find them on your gadget. We had a case where a university Prof installed a camera in the women's bathroom in a public campground and he was charged. I reported my own incident and the park wardens went after the creep, but I didn't stick around to find out what happened.