Joshpantera

Hurricane Michael, heads up Panhandle.

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Thanks Josh,

I am projected to be on the "clean side".  For those not familiar with hurricanes, the "clean side" is a reference to being on the least damaging side.  When a hurricane swirls around the eye, the rotation is counter clockwise.  If you are east if the eye, that is known as the "dirty side".  That is where the winds are stronger because they're coming off the open ocean with nothing to stop or slow them down. That is where they are most damaging and dangerous.  The clean side (west side, where I and my family are) gets winds that have been slowed by the land and is FAR less damaging.  Besides, this storm is a fast moving cat 2.  Most people don't start to get too concerned unless it hits cat 3.  

Neat site to see things happening:

Ventusky dot com

Pensacola Beach

kL

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 12:35 PM, Burnedout said:

Thanks Josh,

I am projected to be on the "clean side".  For those not familiar with hurricanes, the "clean side" is a reference to being on the least damaging side.  When a hurricane swirls around the eye, the rotation is counter clockwise.  If you are east if the eye, that is known as the "dirty side".  That is where the winds are stronger because they're coming off the open ocean with nothing to stop or slow them down. That is where they are most damaging and dangerous.  The clean side (west side, where I and my family are) gets winds that have been slowed by the land and is FAR less damaging.  Besides, this storm is a fast moving cat 2.  Most people don't start to get too concerned unless it hits cat 3.  

Michael quickly escalated to a Cat 4 last night. Upwards of 10' or more storm surge in the eastern panhandle. 

I surfed Anna Maria, Bradenton and Venice yesterday. There was storm surge on the west central coast for sure as we never really experienced a low tide. But the Panhandle is set for some pretty astronomical level storm surge: 

GULF TO RUSH ONSHORE, WASH AWAY BUILDINGS
  • Sad 1

Hey Josh and all,

I am doing fine.  I am writing this as of 7:08 am Wednesday.  As of the last I checked, the storm is about to make landfall at any time about where I figured it would, just east of Panama City.  The extent of what we are getting here so far is mostly just some normal rain, rather mundane. 

• Thanks 2

We also have members throughout the SE US who will be experiencing flooding and side effects inland as Michael goes through Georgia and the Carolina's who were just stricken with flooding a few weeks ago. 

Michael Projected Path

Update approx 9:55 AM,

We started to get heavier rain.  The local forcast by the hour expects us to get no more than 35 mph winds.  There may be wind gusts up to 50 mph, but that is no worse than just a normal thunderstorm. 

• Like 1

Stay safe BO. My son is in Charleston SC for a reunion with his submarine crew. He's scheduled to leave Monday morning if conditions allow. The Carolina's are likely to get heavy rains and flooding from this storm. The Carolina's definitely don't need any more rain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They are say its a CAT 4 - possibly the most powerful in a century

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2018/10/live-updates-hurricane-michael-wreaks-havoc-on-florida.html

Hope our Florida people stay safe.

Update 4:55 PM,

The storm is, for all intents and purposes, over here.  We got some rain, a small amount of wind.  Our electricity went out for all of about 3 minutes and then came back on.  We were quite fortunate.  The people in places like Panama City Beach, Mexico Beach, Apalachicola  and points inbetween there are likely going to have to put lives and property back together.  This was the strongest hurricane to hit the panhandle in quite some time, but not the state.  Hurricane Andrew was a cat 5 that hit homestead, just south of Miami in the early 90's.  It was only worse by minor degrees.  I had sooo many people contact me and my wife and we explained to them that where we were, the storm was not as bad as might appear in the media.  I hope nobody reading this has to deal with some disaster like this.  For some, it was an inconvenience, to others, it was a devastating event.  Either way, I am glad it is FINALLY over. 

• Like 3

Hats off to the Cajun Navy. Those folks are all volunteers and have saved a lot of folks. Just saw a story about those guys.They have crews in 6 States now rescuing folks and helping rebuild homes. They have had crews in N Carolina since the floods hit helping folks rebuild. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Video of Aftermath of Hurricane Michael:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-10-14-victims-angry-frustrated-fema-response

I've been looking at class C motor homes. I don't want a big to do class A, just something I can load the family in and evacuate several states away if I have to. And be able to live comfortable out of the motor home when returning if the power is off for a long time. That, and I just want one for vacations anyways. But it seems like a good way of living through these hurricanes to boot. 

25 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-10-14-victims-angry-frustrated-fema-response

I've been looking at class C motor homes. I don't want a big to do class A, just something I can load the family in and evacuate several states away if I have to. And be able to live comfortable out of the motor home when returning if the power is off for a long time. That, and I just want one for vacations anyways. But it seems like a good way to living through these hurricanes to boot. 

That’s an excellent idea.  It’s one thing to leave town before the storm hits but it’s another thing to find a hotel room somewhere at a time like that. With a motor home that problem is solved.  I guess the biggest challenge is making the go/no-go decision before the roads get clogged by either traffic or storm debris.  If I lived down your way I’d certainly look into that.  Plus - as you said - the vacation opportunities it gives you.  I’d be interested to hear if you get one and in the costs involved. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThereAndBackAgain said:

That’s an excellent idea.  It’s one thing to leave town before the storm hits but it’s another thing to find a hotel room somewhere at a time like that. With a motor home that problem is solved.  I guess the biggest challenge is making the go/no-go decision before the roads get clogged by either traffic or storm debris.  If I lived down your way I’d certainly look into that.  Plus - as you said - the vacation opportunities it gives you.  I’d be interested to hear if you get one and in the costs involved. 

Well as far as staying away for a while, state parks and most camp grounds are cheap. $20 - $30 a night. All the power you use hooked up is part of the price. Then there's off the grid with the on board generator. Walmart parking lots and places like that. 

• Like 1

I was in Panama City today.  It was not in any really bad areas, but what I saw was not good. I saw buildings that were piles of metal, roofs that were peeled up like a tin can, trees down everywhere stores had to use generators because the few places where there is power, it is on and off, people with absolute terror in their eyes with a story to tell that was rather harrowing. That place will not recover for some years.  I was told of stories of bodies in around Mexico Beach and points east.  They found bodies floating in the Gulf of Mexico as well.  That area had it's own mini apocalypse.  

• Sad 2

Some personal video from some guys who were riding out the storm at or near ground zero.  

Here is a video of the aftermath, damage in the Panama City area, the damage is unbelievable.

I hope that the conservative people in Florida stick to the good old dictum of "lifting yourself up by the bootstraps" and refuse all government assistance on principle. They're totally against that, right? 

Here is some video from a couple of guys driving through Mexico Beach, FL, ground zero of the storm.

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-10-20-michael-unearths-shipwrecks-dog-island

At a Glance

• Fifteen ships washed ashore on Dog Island in 1899 during a Category 2 hurricane that became known as the Carrabelle Hurricane.
  • The 1899 storm only left nine houses standing in Carrabelle.
  • Storm surge from Michael unearthed the 119-year-old shipwrecks.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 5:18 PM, Blood said:

I hope that the conservative people in Florida stick to the good old dictum of "lifting yourself up by the bootstraps" and refuse all government assistance on principle. They're totally against that, right? 

They would except some undeserving soul would get the money.  So they have to take it.

I don't have a good analogy.  Hmmm.  It's probably like sticking a gun in Al Capone's face or something.  Ah shit.  That's a simile.

mwc

3 minutes ago, mwc said:

They would except some undeserving soul would get the money.  So they have to take it.

I don't have a good analogy.  Hmmm.  It's probably like sticking a gun in Al Capone's face or something.  Ah shit.  That's a simile.

mwc

Ahh...

The smart thing to do is have homeowners and flood insurance.  THAT is what the sane people do. ;)