Jump to content

I believe in Jesus again


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, ag_NO_stic said:

All I have to say is......if Thor's nailin Jesus, then maybe god will come around on the whole "hate gays" thing....

 

Ha ha, but again, Thor isn't a Roman. He isn't even of this earth.  That little "funny" isn't funny.

 

That joke I heard in sixth grade though, the one with the punchline "You're Thor? I'm tho thore I can hardly walk!"? Now that was funny.

Just my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have gone back to Christianity.   Yes, Jesus existed, and He's for real. He's going to come back any day now and beat the shit out of everyone that pisses me off and punish everyone that e

https://www.promisekeepers.org/   You got your tickets yet, Dude? You and I and End3 could all meet up there and fellowship, sing and cry together. You know, do man shit. Man shit for Jesus!

you probably have 1 opportunity to walk the street of gold once then you get stuck in the pews to sing hallelu fucking lah for eternity

Posted Images

On 10/21/2018 at 7:01 PM, Lost said:

Hey duderonomy :)

 

Can I ask if this is true that You believe agan in Jesus or Your whole post is a joke?

 

Cause I'm kind of confused while reading Your replies to others.

 

If You believe again, what happened that You changed Your mind?

 

Greetings :)

 

Greetings to you too Lost!     I'm sorry about any confusion I may have caused you. 

 

This might all be a joke by me, but what if it isn't?  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, duderonomy said:

 

I don't explain it.    If I had to take a guess though I would guess that culture, and not geography, is where you might want to look first. 

 

 

But what creates different cultures? You are totally ignoring the environments people evolved in for tens of thousands of years as if they have no bearing on a culture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VerbosityCat said:

But what creates different cultures? You are totally ignoring the environments people evolved in for tens of thousands of years as if they have no bearing on a culture.

 

Have you studied this? I mean, where did you get this idea?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, duderonomy said:

 

Have you studied this? I mean, where did you get this idea?

 

Do you have an alternate theory? I mean this isn't a gotcha. I really want to understand how you think this arises. I base this on common sense and observation as well as evolutionary principles. We observe that every creature is affected by its environment. Is this everybody but humans? Did we stop responding to our environment for some reason? Is there any rational reason you could tell me that people who have seasons and cold climates WOULDN'T see the world and interpret it spiritually in a very different way from people who live in a wildly different climate/terrain than that?

 

We know that the first religious impulses in humans were likely a form of animism.  This is something that comes DIRECTLY out of ones own environment. So why on earth WOULDN'T larger culture and spirituality also arise and evolve in that manner?

 

I'm trying to understand what your resistance to this idea is... what's underneath it? And do you have an alternate theory? How do you explain these things?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Moderator

Not that I have a dog in this fight; but I think there's probably a reason that there's an elephant god in the Hindu religion; but not in the Native American religions.  If I had to guess, I'd say the reason is that there are elephants in the environment in which Hinduism evolved; but not in the Native American environment.  Just a guess, though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Not that I have a dog in this fight; but I think there's probably a reason that there's an elephant god in the Hindu religion; but not in the Native American religions.  If I had to guess, I'd say the reason is that there are elephants in the environment in which Hinduism evolved; but not in the Native American environment.  Just a guess, though.

 

Sure, but what God or god or gods or Gods are not in the Hindu religion? 

 

Environment?  There are spirits, including the Great Spirit in Native American religions.

If you "had to guess" Prof, what would you say the reason would be for that?  Were spirits present in the environment in which the Native American religions evolved then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2018 at 7:11 PM, VerbosityCat said:

I'm trying to understand what your resistance to this idea is... what's underneath it? And do you have an alternate theory? How do you explain these things?

 

I have NO resistance to the idea.  You are the one bringing the claim that  religions are based on environments, so you have to bring the proof.

 

Your posts on this topic are full of assumptions and unsubstantiated claims.

 

If I have indeed returned to believing the Bible, then I would of course use what it says to explain these things. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Not that I have a dog in this fight; but I think there's probably a reason that there's an elephant god in the Hindu religion; but not in the Native American religions.  If I had to guess, I'd say the reason is that there are elephants in the environment in which Hinduism evolved; but not in the Native American environment.  Just a guess, though.

 

And why there is a "world tree" in the mythology of the celtic and norse/germanic tribes. (not that other places don't have trees but the KINDS of trees that were so prevalent in that area played a large role in the  mythopoetic rendering of the spiritual traditions)

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

 

I have NO resistance to the idea.  You are the one bringing the claim that  religions are based on environments, so you have to bring the proof.

 

Your posts on this topic are full of assumptions and unsubstantiated claims.

 

If I have indeed returned to believing the Bible, then I would of course use what it says to explain these things. 

 

 

I explained to you my reasoning. Then Redneck professor says basically the same thing I do except with an example and you carry on a normal convo with him but not with me. No because I'm making some totally  "wild and wacky assertion". Dude I'm not talking about levitation here. I'm talking about the very BASIC evolutionary idea that all science-minded people accept that a creature is affected by its environment. Like where the fuck else does culture and religion spring? The head of Zeus? Jesus Fucking Christ. Are you for real here?

 

I present to you a REASONABLE idea which you seem to think is "out there" somehow. And you have NO alternate theory or argument of any kind. It's just absurd.

 

Plus there is tons of material on this inside anthropology and archaeology and all these various related groups who study these things. This is NOT some "fringe" idea. But you paint it as such as if I'm asking you to believe some totally weird supernatural thing. This is a totally normal idea espoused by most honest people who have done ANY extensive studying of cultures and how they arise. This is not a new idea. Google it. Damn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VerbosityCat said:

 

 

I explained to you my reasoning. Then Redneck professor says basically the same thing I do except with an example and you carry on a normal convo with him but not with me. No because I'm making some totally  "wild and wacky assertion". Dude I'm not talking about levitation here. I'm talking about the very BASIC evolutionary idea that all science-minded people accept that a creature is affected by its environment. Like where the fuck else does culture and religion spring? The head of Zeus? Jesus Fucking Christ. Are you for real here?

 

I present to you a REASONABLE idea which you seem to think is "out there" somehow. And you have NO alternate theory or argument of any kind. It's just absurd.

 

VerbosityCat,

 

Taking umbrage and playing the poor me character won't improve your argument.  You read what I said. Maybe you should read it again?

 

Plus, I have been carrying on a normal convo with you for a few days now, so WTF are you talking about?   How many responses have I made to you compared to how many I made to the Prof?   No really tell me how many?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

 

VerbosityCat,

 

Taking umbrage and playing the poor me character won't improve your argument.  You read what I said. Maybe you should read it again?

 

Plus, I have been carrying on a normal convo with you for a few days now, so WTF are you talking about?   How many responses have I made to you compared to how many I made to the Prof?   No really tell me how many?

 

 

What you're doing is wasting both of our time because you have no intention of carrying on any kind of conversation in good faith. You are behaving as if I've said something bizarre, something that isn't such total common sense that you feel the need to be like "you REALLY believe that?" as if it's absurd. And YET... redneck professor basically agrees with the premise and you don't grill him to "prove" this totally normal idea that any rational person should be able to come to. Also, there is no "poor me" in this. I just find the way you argue so dishonest.

 

I spent several posts trying to explain this to you and why it's logical. And I even asked you if you had an alternate theory or idea. Surely if my idea is so stupid you have an alternative, but nope. Turns out my idea isn't so crazy since redneck professor said the same goddamn thing and you didn't feel the need to interrogate him.

 

If you can't figure out why this annoys the SHIT out of me, there is no helping you. I'm disengaging now. You can swim in your own ignorance and believe cultures are magic for all I fucking care.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, VerbosityCat said:

 

 

What you're doing is wasting both of our time because you have no intention of carrying on any kind of conversation in good faith. You are behaving as if I've said something bizarre, something that isn't such total common sense that you feel the need to be like "you REALLY believe that?" as if it's absurd. And YET... redneck professor basically agrees with the premise and you don't grill him to "prove" this totally normal idea that any rational person should be able to come to. Also, there is no "poor me" in this. I just find the way you argue so dishonest.

 

I spent several posts trying to explain this to you and why it's logical. And I even asked you if you had an alternate theory or idea. Surely if my idea is so stupid you have an alternative, but nope. Turns out my idea isn't so crazy since redneck professor said the same goddamn thing and you didn't feel the need to interrogate him.

 

If you can't figure out why this annoys the SHIT out of me, there is no helping you. I'm disengaging now. You can swim in your own ignorance and believe cultures are magic for all I fucking care.

 

It would have been much easier if you had said "I can't back up the bullshit ideas I have and I know it, so I'll just blame you for everything".

 

Since we have no post numbers, I'll repeat what I sad to the Prof just a couple of posts ago. Funny you didn't see where I also "interrogated" him:  

 

I said;  "Sure, but what God or god or gods or Gods are not in the Hindu religion? 

"Environment?  There are spirits, including the Great Spirit in Native American religions.

If you "had to guess" Prof, what would you say the reason would be for that?  Were spirits present in the environment in which the Native American religions evolved then?"

 

I guess you must have missed that exchange. That's fine.

 

You are new, and angry. Full of ideas, but still learning. So am I, but I'm a little further along.

 

Also, don't forget where I said this to you:  "Plus, I have been carrying on a normal convo with you for a few days now, so WTF are you talking about?   How many responses have I made to you compared to how many I made to the Prof?   No really tell me how many?"

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duderonomy said:

 

It would have been much easier if you had said "I can't back up the bullshit ideas I have and I know it, so I'll just blame you for everything".

 

Since we have no post numbers, I'll repeat what I sad to the Prof just a couple of posts ago. Funny you didn't see where I also "interrogated" him:  

 

I said;  "Sure, but what God or god or gods or Gods are not in the Hindu religion? 

"Environment?  There are spirits, including the Great Spirit in Native American religions.

If you "had to guess" Prof, what would you say the reason would be for that?  Were spirits present in the environment in which the Native American religions evolved then?"

 

I guess you must have missed that exchange. That's fine.

 

You are new, and angry. Full of ideas, but still learning. So am I, but I'm a little further along.

 

Also, don't forget where I said this to you:  "Plus, I have been carrying on a normal convo with you for a few days now, so WTF are you talking about?   How many responses have I made to you compared to how many I made to the Prof?   No really tell me how many?"

 

 

 

 

 

I've been out of Christianity 20 years. I'm probably old enough to be your mother.

 

You are ridiculous. And arrogant. But good luck to you.


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Moderator
5 hours ago, duderonomy said:

 

Sure, but what God or god or gods or Gods are not in the Hindu religion? 

 

Environment?  There are spirits, including the Great Spirit in Native American religions.

If you "had to guess" Prof, what would you say the reason would be for that?  Were spirits present in the environment in which the Native American religions evolved then?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there is no buffalo god in the Hindu religion.  Again, just a guess... based on environmental factors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, VerbosityCat said:

 

I've been out of Christianity 20 years. I'm probably old enough to be your mother.

 

You are ridiculous. And arrogant. But good luck to you.


 

 

I see some of your post got edited. If you need me to, I'll put in your original response. I have it in full so let me know. Otherwise I'll just say good luck to you too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there is no buffalo god in the Hindu religion.  Again, just a guess... based on environmental factors.

 

Then we are back to where I said this:       "Environment?  There are spirits, including the Great Spirit in Native American religions.

If you "had to guess" Prof, what would you say the reason would be for that?  Were spirits present in the environment in which the Native American religions evolved then?"

 

Now that I think of it, the idea of a spiritual god or gods are found in many areas of the globe many of which have differing environments.

 

I can only assume that you would conclude then that spirits are quite real in various environments, and that's why they show up in various religions. Would that be a correct assumption?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 6:45 PM, duderonomy said:

 

I have NO resistance to the idea.  You are the one bringing the claim that  religions are based on environments, so you have to bring the proof.

 

Your posts on this topic are full of assumptions and unsubstantiated claims.

 

If I have indeed returned to believing the Bible, then I would of course use what it says to explain these things. 

 

Proof is only for mathematics. Your returning to Christianity is an unsubstantiated claim. I want videos of you in church.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Moderator
15 hours ago, duderonomy said:

 

Then we are back to where I said this:       "Environment?  There are spirits, including the Great Spirit in Native American religions.

If you "had to guess" Prof, what would you say the reason would be for that?  Were spirits present in the environment in which the Native American religions evolved then?"

 

Now that I think of it, the idea of a spiritual god or gods are found in many areas of the globe many of which have differing environments.

 

I can only assume that you would conclude then that spirits are quite real in various environments, and that's why they show up in various religions. Would that be a correct assumption?

If I had to guess, which I don't, I'd say "spirits" and "gods" were just a means of explaining the inexplicable for early humanity.  The reason these are universal in humanity is because we are all the same species, whether evolved in Africa or China.  There is no evidence, and therefore no reason to accept, that spirits and gods really exist in any meaningful way.

 

But early humans recognized that they had different moods, personalities, and thought patterns.  When a storm occurred, it was not difficult for them to liken that to anger.  Afterwards they could see the rainbow and liken it to happiness.  From that point, it was an easy, and for them logical, leap to personification of inanimate objects into "spirits" and "gods". 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

If I had to guess, which I don't, I'd say "spirits" and "gods" were just a means of explaining the inexplicable for early humanity.  The reason these are universal in humanity is because we are all the same species, whether evolved in Africa or China.  There is no evidence, and therefore no reason to accept, that spirits and gods really exist in any meaningful way.

 

But early humans recognized that they had different moods, personalities, and thought patterns.  When a storm occurred, it was not difficult for them to liken that to anger.  Afterwards they could see the rainbow and liken it to happiness.  From that point, it was an easy, and for them logical, leap to personification of inanimate objects into "spirits" and "gods". 

 

Nope. You can't have elephant gods where there are actual elephants unless you also admit to spiritual gods where there are actual spirits if you are going to claim 'environment'.  

 

No offense Prof. You know I respect you, but the argument you posited is weak beyond belief IMHO.  Your last paragraph is an insult to anyone older than seven and speculation and unfounded assertions to people of any age.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, midniterider said:

 

Proof is only for mathematics. Your returning to Christianity is an unsubstantiated claim. I want videos of you in church.

 

Where are the videos of you not in church if you are really an ex-Christian? Substantiate, man!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 2:52 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there is no buffalo god in the Hindu religion.  Again, just a guess... based on environmental factors.

 

As I understand it ( I admit I could be very wrong), the Water Buffalo is not worshiped in the Hindu religion because it has something to do with death. It carries the god that rounds up the dead or something. 

In full disclosure, I kind of knew this but I took a two minute Google tour anyway and that's all the time it gets tonight. So anyway yeah, the mighty buffalo is there in Hinduism and has its own back story and everything.

 

Anyway the point is that the buffalo factors into  Hindu religion because it is there in the environment just as spirits factor in to so many religions around the globe because they are there in the environment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Moderator
3 hours ago, duderonomy said:

 

As I understand it ( I admit I could be very wrong), the Water Buffalo is not worshiped in the Hindu religion because it has something to do with death. It carries the god that rounds up the dead or something. 

In full disclosure, I kind of knew this but I took a two minute Google tour anyway and that's all the time it gets tonight. So anyway yeah, the mighty buffalo is there in Hinduism and has its own back story and everything.

 

Anyway the point is that the buffalo factors into  Hindu religion because it is there in the environment just as spirits factor in to so many religions around the globe because they are there in the environment. 

Image result for water buffaloimage.jpeg 

 

There is a difference between water buffaloes and buffaloes.  Surely you realize this.  I don't want to say you were being dishonest in your post; I'll stop at simply disingenuous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Moderator
3 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Nope. You can't have elephant gods where there are actual elephants unless you also admit to spiritual gods where there are actual spirits if you are going to claim 'environment'.  

 

No offense Prof. You know I respect you, but the argument you posited is weak beyond belief IMHO.  Your last paragraph is an insult to anyone older than seven and speculation and unfounded assertions to people of any age.

Actually, I can.  Because elephants actually exist.  They exist by every standard of science.  They can be examined, studied, even ridden upon.  They are, quite literally, everything that spirits are not.  You can say that spirits exist in the mind; so do elephants.  The difference is that elephants still roam the earth whether I am thinking about them or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:37 PM, duderonomy said:

 

It would have been much easier if you had said "I can't back up the bullshit ideas I have and I know it, so I'll just blame you for everything".

 

Since we have no post numbers, I'll repeat what I sad to the Prof just a couple of posts ago. Funny you didn't see where I also "interrogated" him:  

 

I said;  "Sure, but what God or god or gods or Gods are not in the Hindu religion? 

"Environment?  There are spirits, including the Great Spirit in Native American religions.

If you "had to guess" Prof, what would you say the reason would be for that?  Were spirits present in the environment in which the Native American religions evolved then?"

 

I guess you must have missed that exchange. That's fine.

 

You are new, and angry. Full of ideas, but still learning. So am I, but I'm a little further along.

 

Also, don't forget where I said this to you:  "Plus, I have been carrying on a normal convo with you for a few days now, so WTF are you talking about?   How many responses have I made to you compared to how many I made to the Prof?   No really tell me how many?"

 

 

 

 

Dear Heavenly Father.....I'm praying for my re-newed brother Dude, that he might find Grace for this person.  Amen....pass the plate while we sing verses 1,2, and 4 of #702, I am Thine O Lord...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.