Goodbye Jesus

How many people have fully read the bible?

Wertbag

13 hours ago, Weezer said:

Growing up in the main stream Church of Christ, it was interesting that the Old Testament was seldom referenced, and we were not encouraged to read it.  And even after going off to a church related "Christian" college, when I took the required Old Testament course, there were certain books we skipped over.

Even when I was still devote, I cringed when I heard a preacher or believer cite the Pentateuch (Genesis-Deuteronomy). While I told myself that it wasn't irreconcilable (it is but I hadn't come to terms with that yet) the analogy I gave to Christians who were incensed that I suggest we not use those books was like this. The Pentateuch is 'Nuclear War with Russia' level apologetics. Yes, you can probably condemn your opponent with those books, but if they are even mildly well-versed in scripture they can turn them back on you too. Mutually assured destruction. 

13 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Now I'm left wondering, do the negative connotations of calling people sheep arise from the christian reference? I'm guessing no, and it's simply based on the animals themselves.

I don't know the etymology of the expression but I'd assume it's Biblical. Don't get me wrong, I've dealt with sheep and they are annoying stupid creatures. But the Bible uses the imagery of the sheep to such an extent that I don't see how it couldn't have permeated into the vernacular.

• Super Moderator
21 hours ago, mich said:

I was just pondering the other day about sheperds and sheep... shepherds have a hidden agenda.. it's not really love..they want what they can get out of them..their wool, their meat...

Having raised sheep for many years, I can assure you that christians would vomit to discover how often I sold sheep to Muslims.  For meat.

Looking especially at religion and politics in society, I have come to the conclusion that the Jesus idea of people being like sheep is accurate.  Many of them just graze along, eating whatever tastes good, and is easy to find, not paying any attention to where they are going and what predicament they might be headed toward.  Politicians and powerful people and corporations understand the concept very well.  Promise the sheep good grazing, and they will follow you anywhere, without question.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I tried with all my power to read it all. I tried for years. I only successfully finished genesis, about 35 chapters of exodus, about half of Joshua,  the gospels and verses from other books. I did bible studios but wasn’t really “reading” it. I got good marks. I have residing issues.. not dyslexia but something else. Maybe depression... 

I couldn’t find it in me to be interested in the boring law, prophecy books etc. I tried with all my power to pray over reading, pray before reading... audio tapes. I just couldn’t do it.. it hurt me internally for some reason..my mind would drift. I even tried hiring Christian books. Nothing ever worked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps your intuition was serving you well?  On some level you knew it didn't make sense?

I don’t know but I feel relieved I don’t have to bother anymore. I didn’t know why I felt that way.... 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't tried reading the entire thing from cover to cover, but our Southern Baptist preacher did a (very long) series of sermons where he read it to us verse by verse.  

What  amazes me is that I don't remember him reading or discussing what is now one of my favorite bible verses - Ezekiel 23:20.  "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

How could I have missed that? :)  Probably was still dozing after all the begats.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TexasFreethinker said:

I haven't tried reading the entire thing from cover to cover, but our Southern Baptist preacher did a (very long) series of sermons where he read it to us verse by verse.  

What  amazes me is that I don't remember him reading or discussing what is now one of my favorite bible verses - Ezekiel 23:20.  "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

How could I have missed that? :)  Probably was still dozing after all the begats.

He probably either conveniently skipped verses like that or read them quickly and then distracted the congregation by drawing attention to something else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Citsonga said:

He probably either conveniently skipped verses like that or read them quickly and then distracted the congregation by drawing attention to something else.

You're probably right - it also helps that it's a little less obviously sexual in the KJV which we used exclusively since it was the version used by the apostles :) 

• Haha 1

Forgot about that verse. 🤢 

I have. The Pentateuch was a bit repetitive, I have to say (Leviticus).

I guess I made it through because it was a Bible School requirement and I was fundie (very) light back then.