Goodbye Jesus

OH, the irony of my apostacy!

MamaCaz

On 12/4/2018 at 5:59 PM, Kat34 said:

From what I gather, Calvinists subscribe to once saved always saved. They have to, because everything happens according to God’s will. So surely all those kids who pray the sinners’ prayer then later change their views are actually still saved. And in that case, given how impressionable young children are, surely any child could be convinced to pray it and mean that prayer genuinely. Totally unethical but we could all choose to get our own children to do that and be saved. But that would potentially contradict the idea of them being chosen from the beginning of the world. 

I think Calvinists would claim that if someone left the faith, then they were never truly saved to begin with. Either they never really believed it in their hearts, or they just thought they were saved but actually weren't. I have no idea how they make it work but I think it's something like that. And so it's only the ones who are "truly" saved who will persevere until the end, and that's what they mean by once saved always saved. But it's not just Calvinists who believe this. Some non-Calvinists do too. 

This raises the question of how a person is supposed to know whether they're truly saved or just deluding themselves into thinking they're saved, and will someday fall away. By their logic, there is no way of knowing until they die while still believing in Christ. So much for the assurance of salvation that Calvinists ramble on about.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stargazer95 said:

I think Calvinists would claim that if someone left the faith, then they were never truly saved to begin with. Either they never really believed it in their hearts, or they just thought they were saved but actually weren't. I have no idea how they make it work but I think it's something like that. And so it's only the ones who are "truly" saved who will persevere until the end, and that's what they mean by once saved always saved. But it's not just Calvinists who believe this. Some non-Calvinists do too. 

This raises the question of how a person is supposed to know whether they're truly saved or just deluding themselves into thinking they're saved, and will someday fall away. By their logic, there is no way of knowing until they die while still believing in Christ. So much for the assurance of salvation that Calvinists ramble on about.....

Yes I think you’re probably right actually. And by way of reassurance the Holy Spirit would tell them they are a child of God. Whereabouts in UK are you btw if you don’t mind me asking?

45 minutes ago, Kat34 said:

Whereabouts in UK are you btw if you don’t mind me asking?

Northern Ireland. And yourself? 

21 minutes ago, Stargazer95 said:

Northern Ireland. And yourself? 

Ah... I’m in England. 

1 hour ago, Kat34 said:

Ah... I’m in England. 

Ah okay 

• Sad 1