Sign in to follow this  
Fweethawt

Please, Vote Democrat In November!

5 hours ago, Geezer said:

I find myself wondering what is the difference between a religious fundamentalists & a political fundamentalists? 

I've been thinking the same thing lately. But I would be remiss not to point out that the bulk of the political fundamentalists are on the Left. Things have changed of late. You'll recall me saying on ex-C years ago that the Republicans were the political manifestation of evangelical Christianity. But how many Republicans these days are calling for sodomy laws or laws against blasphemers? Heck, how often do you hear about a Ten Commandments monument case these days? It happens, but it doesn't dominate the national discourse. Aside from abortion, I don't see conservatives trying to use the State to stop me from living my ex-Christian life. It's the Left shouting down speakers and stopping free expression. These people are a bunch of Christians without Jesus, forcing me to attend their church.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bhim said:

I've been thinking the same thing lately. But I would be remiss not to point out that the bulk of the political fundamentalists are on the Left. Things have changed of late. You'll recall me saying on ex-C years ago that the Republicans were the political manifestation of evangelical Christianity. But how many Republicans these days are calling for sodomy laws or laws against blasphemers? Heck, how often do you hear about a Ten Commandments monument case these days? It happens, but it doesn't dominate the national discourse. Aside from abortion, I don't see conservatives trying to use the State to stop me from living my ex-Christian life. It's the Left shouting down speakers and stopping free expression. These people are a bunch of Christians without Jesus, forcing me to attend their church.

I agree with your thoughts. I can find several Democratic issues that I can support; its the Democrats tactics and censoring of free speech that I find so troubling. 

I think one of our faults is the two-party system. If we had several viable parties and proportional representation, perhaps we'd do a better job of working together.

• Like 6

Not sure about left or right but the political fundys I dont like are the ones rabidly telling me I MUST vote. As if any of these candidates on the ballot are worth a shit. As if one will doom my state or county or city if the 'bad' one gets elected.

We are supposed to 'research' the candidates then vote for the lesser of two evils. :) I don't think I'll vote for any evil, lesser or greater,  this election. 

• Like 1

Midnite:

But if you don't vote, then someone else's vote counts a little bit more and the greater evil just might win. And while the greater might not "doom" your state or county, he/she/it can certainly cause a lot of damage.

18 hours ago, midniterider said:

Not sure about left or right but the political fundys I dont like are the ones rabidly telling me I MUST vote. As if any of these candidates on the ballot are worth a shit. As if one will doom my state or county or city if the 'bad' one gets elected.

We are supposed to 'research' the candidates then vote for the lesser of two evils. :) I don't think I'll vote for any evil, lesser or greater,  this election. 

I don't think says you "must" vote, but it's frequently said that you should vote.

And you should. It is a civic duty if nothing else, it's just not enforced as a requirement.

Also, the entire concept of a greater/lesser evil is that one is worse and would do more harm.

It isn't really responsible to not vote.

• Like 1

Yeah, never again. 

The Christian fundamentalists and their delusions are a major driving force in the Republican Party. I'm pretty much a one-issue voter. I'm for the non-fundamentalist party. Every time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blood said:

The Christian fundamentalists and their delusions are a major driving force in the Republican Party. I'm pretty much a one-issue voter. I'm for the non-fundamentalist party. Every time. 

This is a much bigger issue than many people realize. The fundies are actively working to put their religious beliefs into law, working incrementally from the bottom up. City council, county supervisors, and state legislatures are much more important than many people think. The fundies are in it for the long term, and work at it one law at a time. It can start with things as innocuous as school dress codes and behavior policies, and sneak up on folks through the election of a district attorney who makes the decisions on who to prosecute for what. At the state level, that's where Congressional districts are determined. A political party that owns the state house can gerrymander the districts to keep their party's people going to Washington. And if a fundie governor gets elected, expect to see fundie judges being appointed, and we know what will happen then. On the national level, there is no chance that anyone who is an atheist will ever be elected president, Article 6 of the Constitution notwithstanding.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Blood said:

Here you go. A piece describing how the fundies are willing to sacrifice our entire democracy and everything else if they can stop abortion.

I encourage you to read this piece:

https://nyti.ms/2yMeJqH

Here's a quote:

At the Unionville pastors’ event, Mr. Perkins asserted, “We are in a spiritual war.” He left little room for doubt that, in his view, “the rulers of darkness” and “the spiritual host of wickedness” are to be found on the Democratic Party’s side of the aisle.

These folks are exceptionally well organized and are pulling out all the stops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DrHl9dbXQAECcwz.jpg

Wow its magic. Fwee tells people on the interwebs to vote democrat and after 8 years they regain control of the house! How does that woo stuff work?

Also will you try it in the 2020 election and see if you can get the Dems to gain congress and the house?

:D 

6 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Wow its magic. Fwee tells people on the interwebs to vote democrat and after 8 years they regain control of the house! How does that woo stuff work?

Also will you try it in the 2020 election and see if you can get the Dems to gain congress and the house?

It was just the placebo effect. Random chance. Spontaneous remission of conservatives. (haha)

Nothing to see here.

2 hours ago, midniterider said:

It was just the placebo effect. Random chance. Spontaneous remission of conservatives. (haha)

Nothing to see here.

We could go places with this conversation... but it would derail the topic :D 

11 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

The penalty for voting is electing the candidate you thought you wanted.

On 11/3/2018 at 3:59 PM, older said:

Here you go. A piece describing how the fundies are willing to sacrifice our entire democracy and everything else if they can stop abortion.

I encourage you to read this piece:

https://nyti.ms/2yMeJqH

Here's a quote:

At the Unionville pastors’ event, Mr. Perkins asserted, “We are in a spiritual war.” He left little room for doubt that, in his view, “the rulers of darkness” and “the spiritual host of wickedness” are to be found on the Democratic Party’s side of the aisle.

These folks are exceptionally well organized and are pulling out all the stops.

What did I tell you? "Conservatism" these days is mostly just a euphemism for "end times fundamentalist nutjob." 

Question for the US folks: I observe that there are nut jobs all over the political spectrum and in the US this seems prevalent. You have Neo Nazis, and religious folks on the right who would be prepared to go to holy war, and on the left you have members of Antifa who run people out of restaurants and barricade houses. Not to mention the willingness of both parties to engage in political war.

Does this concern you, or is this a lot of noise from a vocal minority that gets reported a lot because it stirs people up?

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Question for the US folks: I observe that there are nut jobs all over the political spectrum and in the US this seems prevalent. You have Neo Nazis, and religious folks on the right who would be prepared to go to holy war, and on the left you have members of Antifa who run people out of restaurants and barricade houses. Not to mention the willingness of both parties to engage in political war.

Does this concern you, or is this a lot of noise from a vocal minority that gets reported a lot because it stirs people up?

I think only the extreme behavior makes the news. People in this town dont talk politics much, face to face nor beat each other up for their political stance. I dont think real life is a political powderkeg. The media just makes it appear that way to make money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Yes to both. Yes, it concerns me because people do act. We see this in those in the government who push their extreme positions upon the rest of us, and in the individual nut cases who shoot up schools, bars and churches.

And yes, it is a minority. Most of the folks just go about their daily chores. But the extreme makes the news because Joe Sixpack making his shift M-F and vegging out on football all weekend doesn't draw attention.

4 hours ago, Blood said:

What did I tell you? "Conservatism" these days is mostly just a euphemism for "end times fundamentalist nutjob."

That's one that worries me a lot. I fear an end-times fundie getting his finger on the nuclear button. 

5 hours ago, Blood said:

A Mr. Perkins in Unionville says something at a pastor's event and it makes you think that most "Conservatism" is  just a euphemism for "end times fundamentalist nutjob."?

Sounds to me like you think things through Blood. Maybe I've been too critical of you all these years.

2 hours ago, Burnedout said:

Those "fundamentalist nugjobs" are no different than the fundamentalist nutjobs on the left, aka, Antifa and BLM.  Other than ideology, I don't see any difference.  Oh, I guess there is one, the ones on the right don't carry the baggage of all that self-loathing.  :ph34r:

Eh? Yes they do. They are sinners and need saving for something they never did. Can't get much more self loathing than that. 

8 hours ago, duderonomy said:

A Mr. Perkins in Unionville says something at a pastor's event and it makes you think that most "Conservatism" is  just a euphemism for "end times fundamentalist nutjob."?

Sounds to me like you think things through Blood. Maybe I've been too critical of you all these years.

There are millions just like Mr. Perkins in the conservative movement. 

Perhaps you're in denial?

I'm sure you've seen the daily news reports here in the USA, LF. Buildings burning, bodies in the streets, people strangled with their own MAGA hats. Some hate group calling themselves the "Libtard whinybot special snowflakes" are beating up conservatives and taking away their guns. I had a helluva time getting my Prius through the mess to go to work. I just hope Starbucks is still open. I really could use a diet mocha latte with an add shot.

It's all on the news right now, LF. :)

• Haha 1

More fine conservative widsom ...

Acting Attorney General Matthew G. Whitaker has said that judges should have a “biblical view,” that he could not support nominees who are “secular” and declared that federal courts should be the “inferior branch” of government.

Whitaker’s comments, made during an unsuccessful bid for the U.S. Senate in 2014, have drawn new scrutiny since President Trump named him Wednesday to replace ousted Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

In an April 25, 2014, debate, moderator Erick Erickson asked the candidates about their faith. Whitaker said that, if elected, he would want judges who “have a biblical view of justice, which I think is very important …”

Erickson interjected: “Levitical or New Testament?”

“I’m a New Testament,” Whitaker answered, according to an account at the time in the Des Moines Register. “And what I know is as long as they have that world view, that they’ll be a good judge. And if they have a secular world view, where this is all we have here on Earth, then I’m going to be very concerned about that judge.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-a-senate-candidate-whitaker-said-he-could-not-support-secular-judicial-nominees-and-that-courts-should-be-inferior-branch/2018/11/09/608e23a4-e45c-11e8-8f5f-a55347f48762_story.html?utm_term=.772df461ebc9

ATM, all I can honestly say is that I'm extremely glad to not be an American.

No offense,  friends. I love ya. 

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.