I was reading this biography of Charles Templeton (who wrote “Farewell to God”, which I’ve not read) and it mentions two instances of spontaneous healing after Charles prayed for two individuals. It doesn’t explain how he came to view these subsequent to losing his faith. I’ve often wondered how such things can be explained, or maybe they just can’t. I can see why they’d be seen as evidence for God though... though I imagine perhaps they happen in other faiths too. Any thoughts on how to reconcile such events with a non Christian worldview?

https://etb-former-fundamentalists.blogspot.com/2012/04/charles-templeton-inside-evangelism.html?m=1

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
On 10/25/2018 at 9:46 AM, Kat34 said:

I was reading this biography of Charles Templeton (who wrote “Farewell to God”, which I’ve not read) and it mentions two instances of spontaneous healing after Charles prayed for two individuals. It doesn’t explain how he came to view these subsequent to losing his faith. I’ve often wondered how such things can be explained, or maybe they just can’t. I can see why they’d be seen as evidence for God though... though I imagine perhaps they happen in other faiths too. Any thoughts on how to reconcile such events with a non Christian worldview?

https://etb-former-fundamentalists.blogspot.com/2012/04/charles-templeton-inside-evangelism.html?m=1

Well, simply, somethings things happen. Even in non-religious, non-faith scenarios in hospitals, a body will do something totally unexpected without obvious explanation. A person expected to die gets better or something incurable just vanishes. This is not uncommon or undocumented. The reason I do not immediate jump to the divine as the reason for the anomaly is because if it was God or a spirit who did the healing, they are inconsistent AF. And that's the ultimate problem. A person may pray and against everyone's expectations a person gets better. Evidence of the divine, right? But would they have gotten better if the praying didn't occur? "Miraculous healings" do also occur in the absence of prayer so how do we resolve those?

At the end of the day, the only ones who can say they can perform miraculous healings reliably and consistently are charlatans. Other instances of faith healings have a lot of question marks and personal experience surrounding them. But to immediately point to the divine is a presupposition. Another flavor of "I can't explain it, therefore God."

But if you want to get into some really trippy and really well documented cases of bizarre medical effects happening, google 'The Placebo Effect'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've currently been reading about studies of these effects. And I agree with the sentiment below: 

13 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Well, simply, somethings things happen. Even in non-religious, non-faith scenarios in hospitals, a body will do something totally unexpected without obvious explanation. A person expected to die gets better or something incurable just vanishes. This is not uncommon or undocumented. The reason I do not immediate jump to the divine as the reason for the anomaly is because if it was God or a spirit who did the healing, they are inconsistent AF. And that's the ultimate problem. A person may pray and against everyone's expectations a person gets better. Evidence of the divine, right? But would they have gotten better if the praying didn't occur? "Miraculous healings" do also occur in the absence of prayer so how do we resolve those?

With the mind or some other explanation. 

Here is today's Curtis comic strip. I must concur with Curtis' thoughts.

Screenshot_2018-11-08-05-17-51-1.png

• Thanks 1

I think TV show healing is bull crap ~ but, I do believe it can be and  is done ~ not in Bible thrumping tent shows with shouting fresh water western preachers ~ but ```