Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Bomber arrested in Florida

A 50+year old man has been arrested in Florida as the suspect in the recent mail bombs. It appears he is a radical right winger. It's being reported he has along criminal record.  

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

4 hours ago, Geezer said:

A 50+year old man has been arrested in Florida as the suspect in the recent mail bombs. It appears he is a radical right winger. It's being reported he has along criminal record.  

Right winger? Say what?!?!?! :)

So it turns out not to be a "false flag," but an actual not-very-bright Trump supporter? I'm shocked. 

According to Trumpo, the "real" victim in all this is Trump. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Blood said:

So it turns out not to be a "false flag," but an actual not-very-bright Trump supporter?

He was never a real Trump supporter.

• Haha 1

On October 26, 2018 at 3:40 PM, midniterider said:

Right winger? Say what?!?!?! :)

It seems to me that these nuts tend to be lone wolves & it also seems they tend not to be very smart. The bomber, the shooters in Kentucky &  Pittsburg tend to be on suicide missions with no plan to escape after completing their mission. 

The school shooters also tend to be lone wolves without a political agenda. 

The left, or so it seems to me, appears to prefer mobs disguised as protestors. Their acts of violance are done in larger numbers so they have less chance of being caught. They also tend to destroy property moreso than to kill people, with some noted exceptions. They have their lone wolves too, like the shooter at the softball practice. 

I think there are lots of things that send these disturbed folks over the edge.

Neither Trump nor his faithful followers will ever accept any responsibility for radicalizing nutjobs into taking action. The fact that Trump specifically named all the targets and claimed they were anti American shall remain ignored in one dirty little pocket of America. They might recognize the problem when the Imams whip their followers into a Jihad frenzy, but they can't ever allow themselves to see it here.

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

It seems to me that these nuts tend to be lone wolves & it also seems they tend not to be very smart. The bomber, the shooters in Kentucky &  Pittsburg tend to be on suicide missions with no plan to escape after completing their mission. 

The school shooters also tend to be lone wolves without a political agenda. 

The left, or so it seems to me, appears to prefer mobs disguised as protestors. Their acts of violance are done in larger numbers so they have less chance of being caught. They also tend to destroy property moreso than to kill people, with some noted exceptions. They have their lone wolves too, like the shooter at the softball practice. 

I think there are lots of things that send these disturbed folks over the edge.

Pittsburg , no political agenda that has been uncovered.

Kentucky, havent read about that one.

The mail bomber guy.... definite pro-conservative, anti-liberal agenda.

99% of normal Republicans don't do crazy shit like this.

99% of normal Democrats don't do crazy shit like this.

Crazy motherfuckers do shit like this, sometimes in the name of their political bent. But I think the bottom line is these people are just assholes and/or mentally ill.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, florduh said:

Neither Trump nor his faithful followers will ever accept any responsibility for radicalizing nutjobs into taking action. The fact that Trump specifically named all the targets and claimed they were anti American shall remain ignored in one dirty little pocket of America. They might recognize the problem when the Imams whip their followers into a Jihad frenzy, but they can't ever allow themselves to see it here.

I think both parties & the media are contributing to these psychos actions. If you think the left doesn't share some of the responsibility in these violent acts, then I respectfully suggest your political bias might be distorting your perspective. And I think social media has made contributions to this politically inflamed environment too.

IMO, the responsibility for these violent acts rest solely with the perpetrators that commit these horrendous acts. The person that pulls the trigger Is the one responsible for the results of their actions. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Geezer said:

If you think the left doesn't share some of the responsibility in these violent acts.......

Which violent acts? And by violent acts do you mean mass murder and attempted bombings of the specific people and institutions we're discussing or maybe you mean marching, blocking traffic, shouting or disrupting someone's dinner?

Look, the Left is crazy and the Right is crazy. Unfortunately it is currently the Right that has a bully in the bully pulpit egging them on. Their leader is quite clearly okay with violence, hatred and dehumanizing the "others." The lies and frenzied rhetoric will radicalize certain people already on the edge of sanity. Why make things even worse by trying to shift blame to the other side? 

9 minutes ago, florduh said:

Which violent acts? And by violent acts do you mean mass murder and attempted bombings of the specific people and institutions we're discussing or maybe you mean marching, blocking traffic, shouting or disrupting someone's dinner?

Look, the Left is crazy and the Right is crazy. Unfortunately it is currently the Right that has a bully in the bully pulpit egging them on. Their leader is quite clearly okay with violence, hatred and dehumanizing the "others." The lies and frenzied rhetoric will radicalize certain people already on the edge of sanity. Why make things even worse by trying to shift blame to the other side? 

I will agree that recent events have been committed by right wing leaning extremist. Your reference to left wing "demonstrations/protest" being nothing more than blocking traffic and  disrupting someone's dinner is patently absurd & ridiculous. You are being intentionally intellectually dishonest & that is beneath you.

People have lost their life in some of these protest. Businesses have been looted and burned to the ground. Police have been attacked and assaulted. The gunman in Arlington shot Republican representatives because they were Republicans. 

I am an independent politically. I have no loyalty to either party. I am pro law enforcement, military, law & order. I am not in favor of open boarders. I am in favor of gay rights and marriage, I'm okay with abortion up to the point that the baby has a heartbeat. I am very much against sexual harassment & bullying people. I am also for free speech and that makes me against political correctness.

I can differentiate between the good and bad things both in Obama & Trumps Presidencies. I attempt to vote for the most qualified candidate regardless of the political affiliation. 

In in other words, when it comes to politics, I try and not become a brain dead fundamentalist that sees only one side of that coin.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Geezer said:

I will agree that recent events have been committed by right wing leaning extremist.

I thought that was the topic here.

You need to Google "left wing violence" if you want to assemble a list. You need only to read a paper, watch the news or listen to conversations about current events to see the rise in right wing violence every damn day for the past two years. Yes, those on the left do bad things, but the radical right is our current problem, and what makes it worse is they are driven to frenzy by the president himself. The synagogue killer didn't like Trump and didn't think Trump was radical enough, but he took Trump's message of hysteria and misinformation and blamed Soros and the Jews for the caravan.

21 minutes ago, florduh said:

I thought that was the topic here.

You need to Google "left wing violence" if you want to assemble a list. You need only to read a paper, watch the news or listen to conversations about current events to see the rise in right wing violence every damn day for the past two years. Yes, those on the left do bad things, but the radical right is our current problem, and what makes it worse is they are driven to frenzy by the president himself. The synagogue killer didn't like Trump and didn't think Trump was radical enough, but he took Trump's message of hysteria and misinformation and blamed Soros and the Jews for the caravan.

Perception is reality. I see both the left and right radical elements as a serious problem. I don't see either one being less radical than the other one or any less dangerous. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Geezer said:

Perception is reality. I see both the left and right radical elements as a serious problem. I don't see either one being less radical than the other one or any less dangerous. 

I also see radicals of any stripe as a big problem. Just from the numbers it would appear that currently bad actors from the right are much busier, and what bothers me most is that they are led by a president of the USA, the president of all of us. One must really be blind and indoctrinated to deny that the primary proponent of division is in the White House.

None of these observations should be taken to mean I support the Democratic Party or radical left wing ideas. I have voted for Republicans and supported Republican platforms in the past and could do so again, but the Republican Party has been hijacked and have abandoned all their principles in favor of playing to our lowest common denominator, Trump's base.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:31 PM, Fweethawt said:

He was never a real Trump supporter.

No true scotsman fallacy there eh? :D 

4 hours ago, Geezer said:

IMO, the responsibility for these violent acts rest solely with the perpetrators that commit these horrendous acts. The person that pulls the trigger Is the one responsible for the results of their actions. 

This is basically the equivalent of arguing that all of us live in an invisible bubble that is completely impervious to the environment and people around us, and in fact our behaviour isn't influenced at all by any other factors outside of ourselves. Talk about putting your head in the sand!

On 10/27/2018 at 4:53 AM, Geezer said:

A 50+year old man has been arrested in Florida... 

Florida Man strikes again! We should have known it was him... 

• Haha 1

On October 28, 2018 at 7:57 PM, TruthSeeker0 said:

This is basically the equivalent of arguing that all of us live in an invisible bubble that is completely impervious to the environment and people around us, and in fact our behaviour isn't influenced at all by any other factors outside of ourselves. Talk about putting your head in the sand!

Unless there is evidence of a conspiracy the individual that committed the crime would be the only person charged. That noted, I get your point, but the fact the person that commits a violent act may have been influenced by other factors doesn't attach guilt to whatever or whoever may have influenced the person that committed the crime..

Although the political left seems to be trying to make "thoughts" a crime they have been unsuccessful so far..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burnedout said:

Kind of reminds me of that nut, one Ted Kaczynski.

The difference being Kaczynski knew how to build an effective bomb and was smart enought to evade capture for many years..And that made him far more dangerous. The Florida bomber, fortunately, was totally incompetent. 

• Thanks 1

Not a single "bomb" went off  despite being mankee and machine handled by USPS.  Not a very good bomb maker if pictures

released to gullible fools are to be believed.

Just another tool used to keep people at each others necks and off antics of our Real Owners manipulation.

kL

6 hours ago, Geezer said:

Unless there is evidence of a conspiracy the individual that committed the crime would be the only person charged. That noted, I get your point, but the fact the person that commits a violent act may have been influenced by other factors doesn't attach guilt to whatever or whoever may have influenced the person that committed the crime..

Although the political left seems to be trying to make "thoughts" a crime they have been unsuccessful so far..

There's a problem if people think those in high office shouldn't be held responsible for the kind of social climate they cultivate. This is separate from who gets charged with crimes. It's called taking accountability for your shit talk etc, except nowadays in America at least it's something to be admired. 

18 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

There's a problem if people think those in high office shouldn't be held responsible for the kind of social climate they cultivate. This is separate from who gets charged with crimes. It's called taking accountability for your shit talk etc, except nowadays in America at least it's something to be admired. 

Charles Manson never killed anyone. Neither did Hitler. Do they bear any responsibility for the mayhem committed by their followers? Why or why not?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, florduh said:

Charles Manson never killed anyone. Neither did Hitler. Do they bear any responsibility for the mayhem committed by their followers? Why or why not?

Based on the evidence collected after Manson's arrest, he was sentenced to life in prison. Why? He was clearly a conspirator in the murders. There was proof that he exercised authority over his followers. They acted on his commands. 

The same applies to Hitler. The defense his soldiers and officers put forward was that they were soldiers and were therefore unable to disobey a direct command under penalty of death. The court rejected that defense but I think the court erred, at least in some situations. Soldiers are trained to follow "lawful" commands from superior officers without hesitation or questioning  the authority of the one giving the command. Trust me, American troops in WWII faced with the same dilemma, with few exceptions, would have carried out their superior officer orders because they knew they would be executed if they didn't. 

I have no doubt some German soldiers carried out their orders reluctantly fearing execution if they didn't. Others agreed with Hitler and gleefully carried out their orders. Those soldiers should have given severe punishment including death if the evidence supported their willing participation. 

In theory a subordinate can challenge the legality of the order, but only after the fact and after making a formal written charge. The chance of such a charge being upheld is slim unless the original order was clearly egregious and indisputably illegal. As far as I know German soldiers did not have an option. If there is evidence the soldier or officer in question carried out their orders out of fear for their life then that should be an acknowledged mitigating circumstance that affects the time, length, and kind of punishment administered.  

In all of these types of situations tribal mentally exists and that, IMO, is the root of the problem. When people just accept what they are told to believe or follow the orders of a leader without hesitation, or questioning the appropriateness or legality of such orders, then the result is often chaos

1 hour ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I don't disagree, but unfortunately the world doesn't work that way. People that hunger for power can't seem to ever get enough of it. And there is also the problem of definitions. What some would call civility and progress others might define as anarchy and lawlessness. I learned a long time ago there is no such thing as fair. Fairness requires someone gain something at the expense of someone else that will lose something. Life produces winners and losers and that has always been so. 

19 minutes ago, Geezer said:

The same applies to Hitler.

I'm not referencing soldiers carrying out immoral orders, most of them will do that. First, Hitler convinced the populace that the Jews were at the root of all Germany's problems. He portrayed them as enemies of the people and even dehumanized them, thus preparing the citizens to accept a physical attack on their "enemy."  Still don't see any problem with such things happening right here right now? No parallels at all?

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

I don't disagree, but unfortunately the world doesn't work that way. People that hunger for power can't seem to ever get enough of it. And there is also the problem of definitions. What some would call civility and progress others might define as anarchy and lawlessness. I learned a long time ago there is no such thing as fair. Fairness requires someone gain something at the expense of someone else that will lose something. Life produces winners and losers and that has always been so. 

Ah, I've always suspected this is much of what lies at the core of differences between cultures and societies, because some you see, are more concerned with their citizens getting a fair chance at life to begin with. So don't blame me when I point fingers at America and say that a good deal of Americans subscribe to the philosophy that they owe nothing to nobody, including any form of assistance, because life just isn't fair and that's that. We don't all think that way thankfully, nor do a good many Americans, but it's what put in place on a policy level that counts. Which reminds me I'm still not finished that book called Fairness and Freedom, which compares US values/the system to others. I would recommend, it's a good read. I'm just glad I don't have such a cynical cold outlook, and you see I do gain a lot by giving to others. Not in material terms, but then again that's all that counts to some people. 

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.