Sign in to follow this  
Daffodil

New Zealand ratifies TPP against the will of the peop[e

This is why I am independent.  Neither side holds the interests of the people as paramount.  @LogicalFallacyIs this true?

• Thanks 1

If you are the usual relatively uniformed public minority who gets stirred up about something you don't really understand then yes it's true.... for those few who felt the need to wail about that which they did not understand it's been ratified against their will.

A very unofficial news poll puts it at 55% in favour of. But I see a lot of comments of people saying not fussed, or don't understand it so no opinion. To be honest I haven't looked at in depth to really understand it, but I do understand that we are a small Island nation that cannot stand in isolation. We are not big like the US so we can't tell people to fuck off. Sadly. But that's the reality of living in paradise :D;) 

As far as independent - National party got this thing rolling, but they were willing to make concessions to keep their big trading partners happy. Labour came into power during 2017 and managed to get a few things through which was surprising as all the right wingers here said Labour would sell the country out... instead they fought for NZ interests. It's weird - our parties seem to be reversing poles at times. What you'd expect a right wing party to do the left are doing and vice versa. Gota admit Greens and NZ First are pretty steady on their policies. There seems to be pretty much broad cross party support for it so it's going to be ratified by which ever government with the various parties seeking various concessions depending on political flavours of the year.

And yes I'm independent. I'll vote for who I think is the best worst case for the country.

I note that Trump pulled the US out of the TPP, but then was making noises about wanting back in. Not sure where that's gone?

The TPP started out as a good idea but like most of these good ideas it was taken over by corporate interests.  I don't know about a lot of what is in it but the stuff about copyrights, digital rights and all that sort of things is pretty draconian (EFF).  I was glad that the TPP didn't happen for us but I imagine that it's only a matter of time that this is implemented.  The corps want it.  They basically wrote it and it's good for them and their interests.

mwc

• Thanks 1

NZ has political discord, just like the U.S.? :49:  I'm shocked!   :o

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Geezer said:

NZ has political discord, just like the U.S.? :49:  I'm shocked!   :o

Nah bro. No where near as bad. Like not even on the same planet bad. We are far less bipartisan. Our parties actually work together a lot on issues getting cross party support for a lot of stuff.

Our discord to you is total harmony :D 

Your discord to us is anarchy :P 

However stupid politicians are still stupid so there's that in common?

2 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Nah bro. No where near as bad. Like not even on the same planet bad. We are far less bipartisan. Our parties actually work together a lot on issues getting cross party support for a lot of stuff.

Our discord to you is total harmony :D 

Your discord to us is anarchy :P 

However stupid politicians are still stupid so there's that in common?

In other words your discord is a milder, softer, more loving version of discontent. I will admit I wish we had that here, but we don't. What we have is approximately 325.000.000 people, and many of them are armed, along with a Constitution and Bill of Rights and supposedly freedom of speech, at least in theory. And a whole lot of people that don't agree on much of anything. 

if or when your population reaches 300 + million people your discord may look at lot more like ours. ;)

3 hours ago, Geezer said:

In other words your discord is a milder, softer, more loving version of discontent. I will admit I wish we had that here, but we don't. What we have is approximately 325.000.000 people, and many of them are armed, along with a Constitution and Bill of Rights and supposedly freedom of speech, at least in theory. And a whole lot of people that don't agree on much of anything. 

if or when your population reaches 300 + million people your discord may look at lot more like ours. ;)

I think by then we'd be introducing population control measures lol

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.