Goodbye Jesus

No Christians around? Good. I HATE CONTEMPORARY WORSHIP SONGS!!!

Dexter

Now that there are no devote Christians to report me to my church or my family, I HATE CONTEMPORARY WORSHIP SONGS!!! God, they are just awful. Just whiney mopey drudges of insipid trite! 

Oh, this is not my first complaint as even as a Christian I'd gently critique that "I feel many of these praise songs are somewhat repetitive and... guitar-centric." But no, let's not mince words kiddos, it's musical cancer. It's made of music but it's gone completely rogue and is filling musical works with this tumorous mass that devours anyone with skill. These songs were written by stoned out college students who were trying to serenade some shallow girl who was completely enamored because her talentless boyfriend is an "artist" for being able to play 4 whole cords on an acoustic guitar. And I say talentless because most of this music is four cords and a handful of lines repeated FOREVER! “I could sing of your love forever?” YES! I believe you! Now stop it! 

Holy hell in a hurricane, batman! These songs are just awful. I would say they are like the high of snorting pixie sticks of they weren’t – so – aggressively – earnest. It’s like they have stumbled upon some secret first uncovered by the Gregorian Monks, only, it’s like they are pining over their highschool sweetheart who’s about to dump them. 

I am convinced with a little more repetition the singers will devolve into Pokemon. Yes, I’ll match up your Shouttothelord against my Goodgoodfather. You can keep your Woahs and your Yeahyeahs because they are about as effectual as a Rattata. Meaning you should grow out of it almost immediately! 

SO, IN SUMMARY!!! I don’t really have a strong affinity for modern praise and worship.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

If there was an ExC award for the best rant of the year, I'd vote for yours. On the target and exceptionally well written. You could get paid for writing like this!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No offense intended,  but for me personally, the traditional old time religious music is boring to the point I want to cover my ears and scream, "In the name of God please stop singing and playing these somgs! And why are you punishing the congregation by forcing them to sing all 5 verses!"

If I must listen to religious music I much prefer today's contemporary songs & music. I just turned 73 and it was only a few years ago that I began listening to oldies rock & roll. Now I'm into Journey, U2, The Rolling Stones, ACDC, Led Zeppelin, Foreigner and stuff like that that I used to tell my kids was junk. What can I say, taste changes with age. :woohoo:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You took the words right out of my mouth!  I used to sing along until they would get to the parts where they would repeat four words 5, 6, 8(!) times and I would just sigh, roll my eyes and wait for it to end.  Downright painful!

• Like 1

I grew up with funeral-like hymns for most of my childhood, accompanied by an organ and nothing else. So moving to a Pentecostal church with a band and lively music was like a dream for a young teen! Lol. Though admittedly some of the stuff is rather repetitive. 

8 hours ago, older said:

You could get paid for writing like this!

Thanks! :)

8 hours ago, Geezer said:

No offense intended, 

No offense taken. I do not claim to be the ultimate arbiter of truth. Well, anymore. I do not claim to be the ultimate arbiter of truth anymore. This rant is the product of years of unignorable irritation. It’s like K-Pop. Only, I can ignore K-Pop and pretend like it doesn’t exist. This was inescapable. 

6 hours ago, Daffodil said:

You took the words right out of my mouth!  I used to sing along until they would get to the parts where they would repeat four words 5, 6, 8(!) times and I would just sigh, roll my eyes and wait for it to end.  Downright painful!

Funny story, once I was running the slides on the main projector and one of the songs was “I could sing of your love forever.” As a semi-pro at live presentations I knew that to keep the words visually fresh you put no more than two repetitions per slide and make each slide just a little visually different to keep it interesting and not stale. But I was so sick of that song that I made one slide for the chorus that looked like this:

I could sing of your love forever

(X10)

The song leader was not happy!

1 hour ago, Stargazer95 said:

I grew up with funeral-like hymns for most of my childhood, accompanied by an organ and nothing else. So moving to a Pentecostal church with a band and lively music was like a dream for a young teen! Lol. Though admittedly some of the stuff is rather repetitive. 

My home church actually underwent that evolution while I was growing up. I started on old hymns that my dad and I enjoyed because he sang bass and I sang Baritone. Then we went through some weirdly unpleasant hybrid phase that made no one happy then finally to contemporary. Don’t get me wrong, I do not pine often for the old hymns but to a low-key singer they were more in my register than the alto range contemporary music is often sung at. 

——————

To be completely fair, I don’t hate ALL contemporary. I like Days of Elijah. It suffers from repetition too but at least it feels like the song was written by someone having fun and has a nice folk sound to it. I also liked In Christ Alone because that song writer actually learned his scales and arpeggios. But I still stand by my rant. After years of subjection, contemporary is just abysmal and I can’t tell the difference between songs half the time. If you like it, that’s fine. I won’t call you a bad person for that. I’ll just think it silently. :) 

8 hours ago, Geezer said:

No offense intended,  but for me personally, the traditional old time religious music is boring to the point I want to cover my ears and scream, "In the name of God please stop singing and playing these somgs! And why are you punishing the congregation by forcing them to sing all 5 verses!"

If I must listen to religious music I much prefer today's contemporary songs & music. I just turned 73 and it was only a few years ago that I began listening to oldies rock & roll. Now I'm into Journey, U2, The Rolling Stones, ACDC, Led Zeppelin, Foreigner and stuff like that that I used to tell my kids was junk. What can I say, taste changes with age. :woohoo:

Oh my self, the old hymns are awful!!  😂. Even in my most devout days I couldn't stomach some of these and would look around at the congregation, standing, singing away like drones, words to a song that has absolutely no relation to modern syle and vernacular. 

"There's a new name written up in glory, and it's mine (and it's mine), oh yes it's mine (oh yes it's mine)..."

"I'll fly away, oh glory iiiii'lll fly away. When I die, hallelujah by and by, iiiii'lll fly away!"

One of the churches my dad pastored had a music minister who thought it was fun to have the congregation put a bunch of "powers" in "power in the blood". He'd say "let's see if we can get 7 powers in there this time!" And we'd all sing "there is pow pow pow pow pow pow pow'r, wonder working pow'r >gasp for air< in the bloooood of the laaaamb!"

🤣🤦🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, MamaCaz said:

One of the churches my dad pastored had a music minister who thought it was fun to have the congregation put a bunch of "powers" in "power in the blood". He'd say "let's see if we can get 7 powers in there this time!" And we'd all sing "there is pow pow pow pow pow pow pow'r, wonder working pow'r >gasp for air< in the bloooood of the laaaamb!"

🤣🤦🙄

This was introduced to us but this 87-year-old revival minister who was was always jumping and dancing on stage. Dynamic fellow. But my dad and I enjoyed the original because in the sheet music, the bass clef does a very interesting crescendo that I cannot easily describe in text but it would throw off the more timid singers around us. That was kind of our entertainment. 

Oh! But in term of outdated vernacular... So we were doing a Christmas special one year and I was asked to be in the choir. Well, that was an issue because I had just built our new presentation system and was still training others how to rub it. But my mother guilted me into it (she wanted video of dad and I signing together). But come the day of the special, all my trainees, kids, were in the program too! When I built the system, I had set it all up to be controllable from my iPad. It was for debugging purposes but I’d never dare use it for a live performance! But I had no choice. My iPad could control but not edit. Everything had to be queued in advance so I am rushing trying to get this done. One of the songs was “What child is this” Didn’t have it in my dadbase but it’s a common song. Import lyrics and queue. 

So while singing in the choir, I had my iPad which didn’t look too out of place. Everyone else was holding song books so I am sure the people who saw me just had a silent “kids these days” gripe. All was going well (as well as could be hoped for with a two-man system running in remote operation) but as I could see the upcoming slides I had a silent gasp. It was an older form of the song “...the ox and ass are bleating...” At the terminal I could’ve done a quick edit but not in remote. Well, nothing to do but to plow through! Set slide - active. It was the funniest thing to hear the congregation stumble on that word. It was like they were sinning or something. Some sang out loud and bold “ASS!” Others dropped to a barely audible mumble. Some looked around with a guilty conscience and some turned to glare at the empty operators terminal then get terribly confused how no one was there. One of my priceless memories.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Dexter said:

Funny story, once I was running the slides on the main projector and one of the songs was “I could sing of your love forever.” As a semi-pro at live presentations I knew that to keep the words visually fresh you put no more than two repetitions per slide and make each slide just a little visually different to keep it interesting and not stale. But I was so sick of that song that I made one slide for the chorus that looked like this:

I could sing of your love forever

(X10)

The song leader was not happy!

🤣  Awesome!  Those stupid songs don't take any talent or creativity whatsoever, and yet people weep and fuss over them.  It's just insane!

• Super Moderator
On 10/31/2018 at 12:10 AM, Geezer said:

I just turned 73 and it was only a few years ago that I began listening to oldies rock & roll. Now I'm into Journey, U2, The Rolling Stones, ACDC, Led Zeppelin, Foreigner and stuff like that that I used to tell my kids was junk. What can I say, taste changes with age. :woohoo:

U2 is not oldies, geezer.  They've just been around since before jesus.

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator

I used to be able to predict which song would be next based on whatever song was being sung at the time and the general mood of the worship team.

On a side note, I also discovered that the holy spirit cannot fully move upon the church unless it is preceded by a major key change.

• Haha 3

The stuff that isn't tripe and also isn't boring is just too emotional. It's manipulative, and it makes me angry.

There are Church of Christ song writers whose music doesn't appear in other church's hymnals, and in fact, I'm referring to people from the "Non-institutional" CoC that most mainline CoC folks are unaware of. (Glenda Schales, Craig Roberts, Some of these people have written a lot of new music in the last 20 or so years that's well done both musically and lyrically, but they know how to get to you emotionally. When I was still a believer I was really into it and I was really choosy as a song leader, both in leading songs that weren't just repetitious or boring, or too hard for the  church to sing (it's acapella four-part music), and I almost never led two songs in the same key in a single service. But (I may have told this story before) after going to a singing school one year and feeling the intense emotion (partly due to exhaustion from lack of sleep in a college dorm with poor air conditioning), I really got burned out. I actually got burned out on all music. It's maddening having a song stuck in your head ALL OF THE TIME. I've quit listening to music in the car on my commute, and my brain is a lot quieter now. I will occasionally put on an LP on Saturday, or if I've played all of my podcast episodes I might play some music in the car. I have over 2500 songs on my phone and I still occasionally buy something (some Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie recently). But cutting back drastically has really helped my peace of mind.

When they put music on the screen in the NI-CoC it has the music, not just the lyrics. No way to edit on the fly!

I grew up in a mainstream coC that sung only hymns, and they sung them completely wrong....I could read music, and no one else in the congregation could. So...they sang everything wrong. It was maddening.

At least some music is upbeat. My church music was all about us sinners and the blood of the lamb. So macabre, dunno how I ever liked it. 

On 11/1/2018 at 3:00 PM, Lerk said:

When they put music on the screen in the NI-CoC it has the music, not just the lyrics. No way to edit on the fly!

Interesting! Did that music contain instruments? Was the computer not considered an instrument?

On 11/4/2018 at 2:53 AM, Dexter said:

Interesting! Did that music contain instruments? Was the computer not considered an instrument?

It's just SATB notation. Shape notes! In most CoCs they do not object to using a pitch pipe (or phone app) to get the pitch, though I know of at least one church where a pitch pipe is not allowed because one person objects. As long as you're not playing the tune on an instrument, you aren't violating their rule that the music must be a capella.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:02 PM, Dexter said:

I say talentless because most of this music is four cords and a handful of lines repeated FOREVER!

Worship songwriters keep it simple on purpose. They know that most churches don't have skilled musicians leading worship, so they make the songs easy enough that any random person who's learned a few chords can play them. 

Even when I was a Christian, I didn't care for much that was on worship albums. There was some that I liked, but man there was a bunch of lousy garbage to wade through to find the few that actually sounded good.

1 hour ago, Citsonga said:

Worship songwriters keep it simple on purpose. They know that most churches don't have skilled musicians leading worship, so they make the songs easy enough that any random person who's learned a few chords can play them. 

Yes, if only. How many churches could perform this, one of the most glorious pieces of music written?

• Like 4

^  ^  ^

I've previously written on this board about attending a service at York Minster, one of the largest cathedrals in northern Europe. The organ and the boys' choir just blew my brains out. And, frankly, if I lived there I'd go from time to time just for that. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ficino said:

Yes, if only. How many churches could perform this, one of the most glorious pieces of music written?

7 hours ago, older said:

^  ^  ^

I've previously written on this board about attending a service at York Minster, one of the largest cathedrals in northern Europe. The organ and the boys' choir just blew my brains out. And, frankly, if I lived there I'd go from time to time just for that. 

Now you’re talkin!  Stuff like this will continue to stir the soul (in the broadest sense of the word) for ages to come, even in those of us who believe none of the theology. 

BBC Radio 3 broadcasts a weekly Choral Evensong from locations around Britain.  Fortunately it’s available worldwide:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tp7r

8 hours ago, older said:

^  ^  ^

So would I, the only Xmas music I really listen to anymore are the British and Austrian boys choirs. I once listened to the St Paul's choir sing Handel's Messiah in the cathedral and would do it again. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 6:30 AM, MamaCaz said:

Oh my self, the old hymns are awful!!  😂. Even in my most devout days I couldn't stomach some of these and would look around at the congregation, standing, singing away like drones, words to a song that has absolutely no relation to modern syle and vernacular. 

"There's a new name written up in glory, and it's mine (and it's mine), oh yes it's mine (oh yes it's mine)..."

"I'll fly away, oh glory iiiii'lll fly away. When I die, hallelujah by and by, iiiii'lll fly away!"

🤣🤦🙄

This right here...hilarious. Ahh hahahahahaha! THERE IS POWR  💥💥💥💥💥 LOL! We did the same thing! I loved when we did this and haven’t even thought of this in years lol. 

20 hours ago, Citsonga said:

Even when I was a Christian, I didn't care for much that was on worship albums. There was some that I liked, but man there was a bunch of lousy garbage to wade through to find the few that actually sounded good. 

Sooooooo true. Even on Christian TV where they supposedly get the most talented singers/musicians who make a living at it and have record contracts etc.  and are broadcasting it Worldwide....most of it is unbearable to listen to. Christian musicians have little to NO talent..

The Pentecostal larger gatherings would drone on and on singing repetitiously for 2-3 hours BEFORE  any talking/preaching/teaching even started. Especially in the larger services and the more well known ministries.

They were always freaked out about and strongly against meditation mantra chanting. (And meditation w/o mantras.)  Or anything that involved repeating words was considered chanting to get the devil, demons, evil spirits to show up.  BUT, their 2-3 hours of repetition singing hypnotizing and putting people in trances making it easier to brainwash and manipulate them was Ok ?? Crazy.

They thought you had sing and worship until you were hoarse, mind numbingly braindead and exhausted  to CONJURE UP the presence of the Holy Spirit, God and Jesus. You couldn't just sing a few words of praise, thank them for a couple things,  talk to them and they would be there.

Sorry if I repetitiously :) rant sometimes. I am in early stages of deconverting and still have some sensitive emotions about some stuff.

• Like 2

In my late twenties,my husband and I got weary of the Assemblies of God (our background) and went to a church closer to CoC but with instruments. It was a relief to me to just sing and not wonder when someone would break out in hysterics or tongues or prophecy. Anyway, I remember one night we visited a Pentecostal church to hear a speaker from the Answers in Genesis people 🙄 and the worship leader was singing the same line over and over,with intensity. The music swelled,the crowd stirred and I remember thinking, “Oh. I remember this.” I had to get away from it for a few years to realize how emotionally manipulative it was. 

Nowadays,I’m enjoying the Beatles,Katy Perry,Bruno Mars and a bunch of other ones I didn’t listen to for thirty years, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1