Goodbye Jesus

How a church loses a doctrine

Dexter

The years that followed the second World War were not easy. While history recounts the victories of the Allies and the era of prosperity that began for the United States, it was not immediate prosperity for all. Millions of men had returned to an economy that had learned to operate tight and lean, and a culture that had learned to ration and live without. The nation was growing but it was not equipped to absorb over a million strong, able-bodied men back into the workforce. Times were hard and starvation was again a familiar companion to those who had grown up in the pre-war depression. Communities bound together and in a small Denominational Church of Christ nestled deep in the midwestern corn fields, people found support in each other. No one had two pennies to rub together but in this farming community, no one would starve. They met every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and twice on Sunday to praise God and tend to each other's needs. Their voices raised to the heavens but never would an instrument play. For the church leadership knew that the Good Book laid out the framework for worship and that framework did not include instruments. Yet it was not thought to dwell on much during teaching and ministering for almost no country church had instruments. Such things were not practical.

But time continued on, industries grew, idle men found work. Even at this remote little Church of Christ, the farm hands and foremen found an extra dollar sitting in their pocket and the community took a cautious sigh of relief. Some families started to buy practical luxuries, a sewing machine, a freezer, a cow, a tractor; one family chose to visit their kin-folk who lived a long way away in a very different community. It was another God-fearing community just like the little Church of Christ. However, during this community's Sunday worship, their voices were propelled to the heavens awash with a sound of beauty from a brilliantly gleaming, perfectly tuned piano. 

Upon their return to their Church of Christ community, their spirits were high and they rallied their in-laws, cousins, second-cousins and friends to talk about their spiritual experience, and described the sounds that cascaded through that distant church like the Spirit of God was stirring within them. All who heard were in wonder and wanted to experience the melodies of God. In their excitement they resolved to get a piano for this tiny Church of Christ. They dug deeply into their pockets, giving as much as each could give. One family even had a daughter who was learning to play at school that could play for the church. Then unbeknownst to all but the conspirators, a glistening new piano was brought into the church. 

On the morning of the Lord's day, the rest of the community was shocked to come into that small church to worship the Lord and find the sweet melody of a piano being played. It gave new life and beauty to the songs they lifted to the heavens. Some were skeptical but before the end of service, the community's spirits soared with the sweet melody of a musical instrument. Many sang with tears streaming from their faces, others smiled feeling that the dark times were over. All spoke to the leadership that there was no greater surprise any of them could have ever experienced. Now, at last, they felt hope and optimism for the future. 

In a hastily assembled meeting of the church elders and preacher, silence so absolute that only the buzzing of flies could be heard settled upon the men who just stared at each other, their Bibles open and showing signs of having been unceremoniously riffled through. Long moments passed until the oldest of the church elders gently closed his Bible and asked, "So tell me, how important actually is that doctrine?" 

And so the Non-Denominational Church of Christ continued to worship together in brotherly love as a new era of peace finally started to melt away the fears and hardships of war.

----

Author's notes: While, of course, a dramatization, this is basically how my church went from a non-instrumental Church of Christ to a non-denominational Christian Church. The basic details were recounted to me by one of the old-timers in the church who actually knew they were supposed to be non-instrumental but was himself surprised when a piano showed up one day. But everyone loved it so much (and probably the politics didn't dare allow the church leadership to tell the most influential families in the church to send it back) that everyone just went along with it and never again was any mention made about it. He told me this story after I started asking around why our church was named "Church of Christ" when we were not affiliated with the Church of Christ denomination. 

• Super Moderator

Somebody might have smoked a cigarette while that piano was being built, or shipped.  If so, the demons attached to said cigarette are now attached to said piano.  This is why churches without music are holier than churches with.  And also probably the reason you rejected the live of jesus. 

As a Elder in the Church of Christ I would have been deeply offended if a piano should ever enter The Lord's House of worship. Nowhere in the Bible does scripture authorize instrumental worship while worshipping the Lord. If the Bible does not authorize it, then it is SIN! And sin, sir, is the road that leads to hell! 

I am no longer a Christian, but my wife is now a Methodist and I occasionally attend services with her. The Methodist now only have a piano in worship service, they also have a monstrous organ too. And if that is not enough sin.....GASP! They have female preachers too!  And I'm sure their decent into hell began when someone dare allow a piano into the church building!  

The road to hell is paved with pianos. Pianos today.......female preachers in the pulpit tomorrow! Burning in HELL forever, and ever! Repent sinners before it's too late!  Ushers! Pass the collect plate now!  :fdevil: Amen and amen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2