Goodbye Jesus

Where is the ToT and politics thread?

PurpleLilac

I’ve heard ToT and politics mentioned but I don’t see either. Do I do not have enough posts to see them yet?

There has got to be a discussion about last night on this board somewhere. 👀 

Also,can someone please explain the up and down arrows that look like volume control symbols? Is this the “voting” I’ve heard referenced? Is there a sticky I can read to learn more about how this specific forum works?

12 minutes ago, PurpleLilac said:

I’ve heard ToT and politics mentioned but I don’t see either. Do I do not have enough posts to see them yet?

There has got to be a discussion about last night on this board somewhere. 👀 

Also,can someone please explain the up and down arrows that look like volume control symbols? Is this the “voting” I’ve heard referenced? Is there a sticky I can read to learn more about how this specific forum works?

I wondered what TOT is too...

• Like 1

"TOT" is Totally Off Topic, which is one of the subforums on this board. It's the only place here that political threads are allowed.

If you want to check it out, be forewarned that some of the threads there can get a bit nasty. There are a few people who don't know how to play nice, and it really shows there. 

It's easy to find. Just click the ex-christian.net banner at the top of this page to get a list of the subforums that you can go into. For convenience, I'll also provide a direct link to Totally Off Topic here: 

https://www.ex-christian.net/forum/14-totally-off-topic/

Also, yes, the arrows are for voting on the replies in the Got Questions subforum. Readers can choose to sort the replies by votes or by date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally off topic. Check the forums down around the bottom.

I think, due to the ahhhhh fiery nature of the ToT it's restricted? Not sure, you'll have to ask @SkipNChurch or @Joshpantera

My advice is if you want in, then be prepared to read stuff you don't like and deal with it reasonably rather than getting upset and complaining. Just my 2 cents.

On the up and down arrows in the Question forum - yes they are for voting the "best" answer to the question.

All other boards here use like symbols rather than voting. So you can like, laugh, sad or confused other posts. Apparently you can't be angry, or dislike it :D :P 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@MamaCaz@PurpleLilacOnce you guys get permission for that, you might very well just want out of it. Just my opinion, but it's not a worthwhile area of the site worth spending time on. It has a few select people who are there to troll and act like dicks, thus they mainly stick to that area of the site. Why the others bother to engage with them, I don't understand.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

@MamaCaz@PurpleLilacOnce you guys get permission for that, you might very well just want out of it. Just my opinion, but it's not a worthwhile area of the site worth spending time on. It has a few select people who are there to troll and act like dicks, thus they mainly stick to that area of the site. Why the others bother to engage with them, I don't understand.

You have peaked my interest 😳

But yes,this is good to know. 

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I think, due to the ahhhhh fiery nature of the ToT it's restricted? Not sure, you'll have to ask @SkipNChurch or @Joshpantera

My advice is if you want in, then be prepared to read stuff you don't like and deal with it reasonably rather than getting upset and complaining. Just my 2 cents.

People are allowed to complain, and get upset as well, about dickheaded behavior. Or any behavior for that matter if they don't like it. Free speech y'all, since we're so into it and have had so many conversations about it. Just my opinion. 

PS yes your "reasonably" set me off there. Cus I get ticked at the implications there, sounds too similar to all that "only those who can take the heat here end up staying" philosophy. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

People are allowed to complain, and get upset as well, about dickheaded behavior. Or any behavior for that matter if they don't like it. Free speech y'all, since we're so into it and have had so many conversations about it. Just my opinion. 

PS yes your "reasonably" set me off there. Cus I get ticked at the implications there, sounds too similar to all that "only those who can take the heat here end up staying" philosophy. 

My point being that we all know what the ToT is like. We have warned the new folks what ToT is like. Therefore no point in going in there, and then wailing to the Mods about xyz's opinion or stupidity we don't like, short of it being bannable shit like threats etc.

By reasonable I mean give shit back to them or ignore it, not complain that people are arseholes in the TOT, because be warned all: People are sometimes arseholes in the TOT.

However, if one learns to ignore the shitty stuff, and only respond to posts worth responding to you can have some good conversations.

IMO of course.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

My point being that we all know what the ToT is like. We have warned the new folks what ToT is like. Therefore no point in going in there, and then wailing to the Mods about xyz's opinion or stupidity we don't like, short of it being bannable shit like threats etc.

By reasonable I mean give shit back to them or ignore it, not complain that people are arseholes in the TOT, because be warned all: People are sometimes arseholes in the TOT.

However, if one learns to ignore the shitty stuff, and only respond to posts worth responding to you can have some good conversations.

IMO of course.

Some have a high tolerance for shitty stuff. Others don't. Reasonable people imo expect people to keep dickhead behaviour to a minimum.

I don't know why the ToT has to exist in the first place. People can find other forums for other topics, since the purpose of this site is to support Ex Christians. But that's just my opinion and I'm not the site owner or a mod, so that's enough from me. I'm just happy I'm banned from ToT.

43 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

So have you had success? Or are you still banging your head on the wall? :banghead:

34 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

So have you had success? Or are you still banging your head on the wall? :banghead:

Unscientifically I would say my post count to "worthless" troll posts have decreased by 95%, with the remaining 5% allowed for a bit of jabbing when I'm in the mood.

Of course these results depend entirely on how you define "worthless and troll".

38 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Some have a high tolerance for shitty stuff. Others don't. Reasonable people imo expect people to keep dickhead behaviour to a minimum.

I don't know why the ToT has to exist in the first place. People can find other forums for other topics, since the purpose of this site is to support Ex Christians. But that's just my opinion and I'm not the site owner or a mod, so that's enough from me. I'm just happy I'm banned from ToT.

Well I was thinking about a similar argument for the Spirituality forum (Like go find somewhere else to spout nonsense), but then I realised for some people THAT is support. Likewise with the TOT. Some of us enjoy banging heads with others that they are familiar with around here. No one is forcing anyone else to go in there and bang heads.... or sheep. *Looks at Dude*

Some of the posting is egregious, but its often pointed out by others that particular posts/topics are egregious. Again we get into the whole freedom of speech here, but short of violence I prefer any speech over being hauled to court for blasphemy.

Not all ToT is argument or trolling. There are some interesting things there from time to time. There is currently an amusing thread about the Darwin awards, and I posted my travel checklist, which some folks have found useful.

You can usually tell from the title whether you want to read the post, and it's easy enough to just click away from it.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Well I was thinking about a similar argument for the Spirituality forum (Like go find somewhere else to spout nonsense), but then I realised for some people THAT is support. Likewise with the TOT. Some of us enjoy banging heads with others that they are familiar with around here. No one is forcing anyone else to go in there and bang heads.... or sheep. *Looks at Dude*

Fine, point taken. Some people's nonsense is other people's serious business. 

22 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Some of the posting is egregious, but its often pointed out by others that particular posts/topics are egregious. Again we get into the whole freedom of speech here, but short of violence I prefer any speech over being hauled to court for blasphemy.

Fine again. Keep the ToT. I could go on but meh, people make the choice of spending time in there. 

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, older said:

Not all ToT is argument or trolling. There are some interesting things there from time to time. There is currently an amusing thread about the Darwin awards, and I posted my travel checklist, which some folks have found useful.

You can usually tell from the title whether you want to read the post, and it's easy enough to just click away from it.

There's also a recipe exchange thread in ToT.  

5 hours ago, older said:

Also a fishing thread which I intend on posting kayak adventures to. Agree there are lots of good topics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

kayak adventures

Oohh. Please make that a separate thread. My sister is an addict and would love to read it, but she doesn't care about fishing.

32 minutes ago, older said:

Oohh. Please make that a separate thread. My sister is an addict and would love to read it, but she doesn't care about fishing.

Lol... that should read kayak fishing adventures.... but sure I'll post it. There will be lots of non fishing stuff.. probably a few "I got dumped in the surf" stories. Hoping to get a go pro cam too.... if I can find some spare cash laying about.

14 hours ago, older said:

For sure there's some stuff on there I wouldn't mind reading, but oh well.