Goodbye Jesus

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

ag_NO_stic

Am I the only one on here that is not afraid of saying "Merry Christmas" even though I'm not religious anymore? It's not like I get mad if someone says "Happy holidays" to me, like they're just well wishes and good tidings, but I hate dancing around other people with my words all the time..... 

Just curious!

• Like 3

I don't care to mince words about it, either. I might say either "Merry Christmas!" or "Happy Holidays!"  That's just not something that I get worked up about.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

If I know they celebrate Christmas I say Merry Christmas. If they celebrate Hanukkah I say that. If I don't know what holiday someone observes I just say Happy Holiday. I don't care what they say to me.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, ag_NO_stic said:

Am I the only one on here that is not afraid of saying "Merry Christmas"

Fear is not at issue here.

What is at issue, for me, is that so many in my community are so presumptuous that everyone on the planet celebrates Christmas. So, when they issue that salutation I respond with "Happy Holidays!"

• Like 2

I've never understood people who actually think this is an issue. Say what you want. Celebrate what you want. Who cares?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ag_NO_stic said:

Am I the only one on here that is not afraid of saying "Merry Christmas" even though I'm not religious anymore? It's not like I get mad if someone says "Happy holidays" to me, like they're just well wishes and good tidings, but I hate dancing around other people with my words all the time..... 

Just curious!

I usually say something like, "Jesus is bullshit!!!!!".

No, really I think Merry Christmas is a nice seasonal greeting during a time of year that we could really use something to lift the spirits (in the Northern Hemisphere, at least). Christmas never made me feel bad. However, the hysteria over a false deadline to drain my bank account is getting annoying after 50 some years now, but, whatever.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've no problem saying Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Feliz Navidad, Happy Holidays or anything else. It's about the greeting, dont need to get fixated on the words. 

• Like 2

I am so relieved, y'all! I don't give a fuck either, but all the crazy Christians in my life love to make it sound like us "evil atheists" are "so offended/threatened by the Christ child" that we "avoid saying 'Christmas' at all costs," lololol. I sincerely wanted to know if it was just me that had no problem saying it. Thanks for taking time to respond!! :D

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

After all, "Christmas" is just the Christian name for a Pagan holiday. Many atheists and other non-Christians celebrate a secular Christmas because it's ubiquitous and fun if you do it right. Happy Easter, anyone? Thanksgiving? 

Besides, there are no atheist holidays. We have to appropriate them just like the Christians did so long ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, florduh said:

After all, "Christmas" is just the Christian name for a Pagan holiday. Many atheists and other non-Christians celebrate a secular Christmas because it's ubiquitous and fun if you do it right. Happy Easter, anyone? Thanksgiving? 

Besides, there are no atheist holidays. We have to appropriate them just like the Christians did so long ago.

Exactly. And I for one would be pretty upset if they got rid of the holidays and we had less time off.

• Haha 1

Screenshot_2018-04-08-00-38-52-1.png

• Haha 3

I'm not personally bothered by any of the greetings unless they're said with an attitude. Getting all worked up over someone simply trying to be nice is quite ridiculous. 

Despite what many Christians claim, most of the atheists I know don't get offended by a polite "Merry Christmas." The one's I've seen make a stink are Christians throwing a fit over a polite all-inclusive "Happy Holidays." Many Christians have a tendency to project their own attitudes onto others.

• Like 3

Me: “Have a nice day”

Them: “I prefer have a BLESSED day”

Me: “I hope you get a paper-cut”

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Citsonga said:

I'm not personally bothered by any of the greetings unless they're said with an attitude. Getting all worked up over someone simply trying to be nice is quite ridiculous. 

Despite what many Christians claim, most of the atheists I know don't get offended by a polite "Merry Christmas." The one's I've seen make a stink are Christians throwing a fit over a polite all-inclusive "Happy Holidays." Many Christians have a tendency to project their own attitudes onto others.

THIS

On 11/9/2018 at 11:23 AM, florduh said:

Besides, there are no atheist holidays.

Perhaps we should start one. What should we call it and when should we have it?

• Super Moderator

I'm all for as many fun  holidays as we can come up with, no matter what time of year.  In the meantime, there's always Festivus for the Rest Of Us on December 23.   😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, older said:

Whenever pleases Satan.

• Super Moderator
21 hours ago, older said:

Crucifiction Day on December 25th. 😈

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2018 at 5:51 AM, disillusioned said:

I've never understood people who actually think this is an issue. Say what you want. Celebrate what you want. Who cares?

Pretty much this.

Why worry about saying merry Christmas when it's a hijacked pagan festival? Rejoice in the knowledge that you are wishing someone a happy pagan day but they don't realise it because they didn't bother researching history. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like "May You Enjoy the Winter Solstice".  It's always nice to make astronomy festive when possible.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2018 at 8:44 AM, buffettphan said:

I'm all for as many fun  holidays as we can come up with, no matter what time of year.  In the meantime, there's always Festivus for the Rest Of Us on December 23.   😊

Great episode!

And here's Mr. Garrison from South Park spreading the holiday charm :

• Haha 2

On 11/9/2018 at 8:58 AM, ag_NO_stic said:

Just curious!

You're not alone. I usually just go with whatever. If someone is Happy Holidays, I say it back. If they're Merry Christmas, I'll say that. 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 7:58 AM, ag_NO_stic said:

Just curious!

Some private, for profit corporations decided to start saying "happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" some time back. Since conservatives hate the free market, and are over-sensitive snowflakes in general, they had a collective hissy fit when this happened, and went full McCarthyism on atheists, who supposedly instigated this nefarious plot. 

It never was, of course. it was private businessmen who made the decision not to overprivilege Christianity at everyone else's expense, a completely sound idea.

I have no problem saying "Merry Christmas." 

• Like 1

I'll probably start saying happy holidays to people that I know will have a hissy fit. Just because. 

• Haha 2