Goodbye Jesus

How did you choose your nickname?

Wertbag

I see a lot of unusual aliases in use here but even the more mundane often have a story as to how they came about. So how did you decide to use yours? 

My nickname Wertbag is from when I first learnt touch typing ~30 years ago (manual typewriter back then, but one skill that carried through to modern tech). The exercise asked for top row with the left hand then bottom with right. I slipped up and typed Wertba, but my brain read it complete. It amused me, was unique and i needed something for the bbs sites (like websites prior to the Internet) and have used it ever since. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Goodbye Jesus

Eugene is my middle name. I was 39 when I deconverted. 

• Like 5

I think mine is obvious. I was participating on a Christian site several years ago. I had reached the stage where I was challenging pretty much everything about Christianity. Needless to say I was not particularly popular on that site. 

I was looking for a new avatar and happened to stumble across Geezer. He was my perfect alter ego, so I adopted him and have been using him for many years now. The older I get the more appropriate he has become.  ;)

• Like 6

• Super Moderator

Having lived in the state for the past 33 years it is clear to me that the correct spelling truly is FLORDUH, emphasis on the DUH.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

My last nine years of faith were spent promoting a preacher on a website, and his catch-phrase was "Fire of God!" or "Fuego de Dios!" because he is a missionary in Mexico. I used those flames as part of the website. When I deconverted, I formed them into a question mark and used Fuego as my nickname. It's also the name of my orange cat/peacock (constantly whining because I'm not petting him at the moment, sounds a lot like a peacock).

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

"Citsonga" is simply "agnostic" spelled backwards, for lack of creativity when joining this board. Music has always been a passion of mine, so I did like how "Citsonga" had "song" in the middle. 

• Like 7

Apparently I have no creative ideas

• Haha 7

^^ That made me laugh, Jeff.

Mine is not that creative either.  A number of years back, I used to be a particpant under another name, needed to step away for awhile and decided to come back, hence, "freshstart."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Citsonga said:

"Citsonga" is simply "agnostic" spelled backwards, for lack of creativity when joining this board. Music has always been a passion of mine, so I did like how "Citsonga" had "song" in the middle. 

Having seen your name a hundred times I feel slow in not realising it was backwards. It sounds Asian and I think that is where my mind stopped. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Citsonga said:

Very clever. I thought it was  Swahili for "Jesus Saves!" B):jesus:✝️

• Haha 3

I used no creativity, basically it was just a statement on why I was joining the forum and TruthSeeker was already taken hence..

• Like 1

Nothing clever here, it just seemed appropriate.

• Like 1

In high school (late 1950s)some of the guys were naming a certain part of their body.  I dont remember how, but came up with Weezer.   Since I went to church regularly, some of the guys started to call me deacon weezer.  About 25 years ago when trying to come up with an unusual name for a motorcycle forum, I revived the name and have used different variations for different forums.  On the trail riding forum, and in the group I ride with now, I'm known as Weezer the Geezer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I used no creativity, basically it was just a statement on why I was joining the forum and TruthSeeker was already taken hence..

A good descriptive choice!

Same as Geezer. I figured I was older than most of the folks here. And the avitar is just a silly photo of Batman sitting on an elephant — a fitting image for a retired superhero.

• Haha 2

• Super Moderator

Because I'm a fan of Jimmy Buffett.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, buffettphan said:

Because I'm a fan of Jimmy Buffett.    

Not a fan of buffet dining? Damn, I'm bad at this game 😋

I really hadn't heard much about Jimmy Buffett, I knew the name but none of his music. I read up on Wikipedia and browsed some songs on YouTube. Its cool how our tech can help us fill in the gaps of our knowledge so easily. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Wertbag said:

I really hadn't heard much about Jimmy Buffett, I knew the name but none of his music.

He may be unheard of in NZ, but practically everyone in the US is at least familiar with his song Margaritaville. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Having seen your name a hundred times I feel slow in not realising it was backwards. It sounds Asian and I think that is where my mind stopped. 

Me too! It might be a kiwi mode of thinking.

Well I've always been logical and analytical minded, and as I studied I realised Christianity was full of fallacies so I combined the two to remind myself to be logical and not fall for fallacies… ironically at the time I was not aware that logical fallacies were actually a thing! Therefore most people probably look at my name thinking about logical fallacies, but its not a reference to that, its be logical, don't fall for religious fallacies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

http://gerald-massey.org.uk/massey/dpr_01_historical_jesus.htm

[snipped from lecture]

4.    The personal existence of Jesus as Jehoshua Ben-Pandira can be established beyond a doubt. One account affirms that, according to a genuine Jewish tradition "that man (who is not to be named) was a disciple of Jehoshua Ben-Perachia." It also says, "He was born in the fourth year of the reign of the Jewish King Alexander Jannæus, notwithstanding the assertions of his followers that he was born in the reign of Herod."  That would be more than a century earlier than the date of birth assigned to the Jesus of the Gospels! But it can be further shown that Jehoshua Ben-Pandira may have been born considerably earlier even than the year 102 B.C., although the point is not of much consequence here.  Jehoshua, son of Perachia, was a president of the Sanhedrin—the fifth, reckoning from Ezra as the first: one of those who in the line of descent received and transmitted the oral law, as it was said, direct from Sinai.  There could not be two of that name.  This Ben-Perachia had begun to teach as a Rabbi in the year 154 B.C. We may therefore reckon that he was not born later than 180-170 B.C., and that it could hardly be later than 100 B.C. when he went down into Egypt with his pupil.  For it is related that he fled there in consequence of a persecution of the Rabbis, feasibly conjectured to refer to the civil war in which the Pharisees revolted against King Alexander Jannæus, and consequently about 105 B.C.  If we put the age of his pupil, Jehoshua Ben-Pandira, at fifteen years, that will give us an approximate date, extracted without pressure, which shows that Jehoshua Ben-Pandira may have been born about the year 120 B.C. But twenty years are a matter of little moment here.

I was making light of the "amalgamation" aspect of the jesus myth. The story rolls the records of many different jesus's into one character. Some of the story is about this old Talmud person, others use part of Josephus's many jesus's he described. They all have little parts and pieces that get rolled into the one big story. This pandira / pantera guy dating to before the common era. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am a big H. P. Lovecraft fan, and enjoy reading "Cthulhu Mythos" tales written by HPL and his pals, One of his friends, Clark Ashton Smith, came up with a bizarre "bat-toad-sloth" deity named Tsathoggua :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsathoggua

I always thought that this mad god was just as cool as HPL's much-more famous Cthulhu, so I adopted his name!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Surrounded by fundies - family, friends, families friends, 90% of the community (seems like it anyway) ... you get it.

I don't subscribe AND and do my OWN investigations. 

Goes for both life philosophy as well as politics. 

Also I've never been a joiner. I have never "gone along" with the crowd - EVER! I think this may have saved my life in college back in the early 80's when cocaine seemed to be ubiquitous. 

That said, and for anyone who has not read the bottom of one of my welcome messages to the newbies, MOHO is an acronym for Mind Of His Own.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2018 at 7:00 PM, Joshpantera said:

http://gerald-massey.org.uk/massey/dpr_01_historical_jesus.htm

[snipped from lecture]

I was making light of the "amalgamation" aspect of the jesus myth. The story rolls the records of many different jesus's into one character. Some of the story is about this old Talmud person, others use part of Josephus's many jesus's he described. They all have little parts and pieces that get rolled into the one big story. This pandira / pantera guy dating to before the common era. 

Interesting. I figured your name was Josh and you're a fan of the metal band Pantera. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Citsonga said:

Interesting. I figured your name was Josh and you're a fan of the metal band Pantera. 

I figured he drove one of these...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Tomaso_Pantera

• Haha 2

Well, as embarrassed as I am, I will admit how I got my board name.  I was still praying at the time when I joined Ex-c even though I continued to post questions every single day. And I was still very much into magical thinking. So, I imagined I had an angel to help me through my deconversion and I called her, ''Margee'', with 2 ee's. Lol

I have to admit, she's become part of who I am and I think sometimes she might even be my ''higher self''!! Lol 

Love and ((hugs)) to you

• Like 6
  • Haha 1