Goodbye Jesus

If the question doesen't have to be Theological

Vartan

Have you ever or do you now use a Frantz Oil Filter ```  Used them for years ~ they allow for clean oil ~ no particles larger that 2microns  ~ there are particles larger than that in oil right from the can ```

You know these filters ~ right ~ Bathroom paper is the medium ```

Any thoughts on the subject ```

A guy I once knew said something in another context that I've always remembered: "If it was that great, everyone would be doing it."

I've put over 200,000 miles on a number of vehicles and done nothing more than change the oil and filter according to the recommended interval. I use either Penzoil or Delo 400 depending on the engine, and a good-quality filter. One engine at 200K still had compression within factory specs.

I don't know if you are being serious or sarcastic with the question.  But as a side, when I was a kid I can remember my dad having an old car in which you could use a roll of toilet paper for a filter.  And he did.

If you are serious, I agree with older.  Expensive filters are a waste of money.   As a matter of fact, a filter than strains very small particles will plug up faster than a cheap filter, which means it will need to be changed more often. 

And oil is oil.  If it has the same rating, get the cheapest you can find.  But I have started using synthetics in later years.  It doesn't evaporate, or "break down" as fast as conventional oil, which means you can run it longer.  Like older said, my cars have run over 200k, and I have sold them to friends who driven them for several years after that.  

By the way, my advise on oil and filters comes from a friend who is 75 years old and has been a mechanic all his life, and a professional race car driver.   Decades ago I ask him what kind of oil he used, thinking it was probably some exotic brand.  His answer?  "What ever I can get on sale at Wal-Mart, unless my sponsor supplies it."  One of his sponsors at the time was an oil company.

HA! I'm not sure this is the kind of question they are referring to for this section.

Hi , Not kidding I do use these filters ~ I'm a Journeyman mechanic ~ have recently installed them on both daughters cars ``` Oil doesn't ware out it get contaminated with carbon, moisture and ware particles ~ the filter removes these ~ without water there is no acid formation ``` There is a difference in oils ~ both Delo and penzoil mentioned are fine oils ```

Thanks for coming back on this thread  and thank you older ```

21 hours ago, Vartan said:

contaminated with carbon, moisture and ware particles

The filter removes water? How?

And what about the fuel that works its way down and dilutes the oil?

I have the same question as older about how the filter removes water.  

A tiny bit of fuel can get into the oil, but fuel injection on cars today are so efficient that very little fuel is wasted and gets into the oil.  Unless the cylinders and rings are worn, allowing blowby.  That is one reason cars can go so much longer between oil changes. 

And crancases are a closed system today which means any fuel or water that gets into the crankcase is evaporated by engine heat (if it is driven long enough to warm up good) then sucked into the intake system and burned.  Another reason you can go longer between oil changes.

Yes, those are good filters.  Use them if you want to, but they are overkill, and in my opinion, you are wasting your money.  I have been in these oil/filter arguments before, and they usually accomplish nothing.  Everyone goes away and continues to do their own thing.  HA!  Similar to religious and political arguments.

And from your comment above,

23 hours ago, Vartan said:

Thanks for coming back on this thread  and thank you older ```

It appears you don't appreciate my comments, so I won't bother you anymore unless you ask.

Sorry about all of that above.  You caught some of my frustration that did not belong to you.

Water is absorbed by the paper ~ not much petrol get by the rings ~ petrol will  respirate from a engine at operating temp ~ through the crankcase breather into the intake manifold ~ anything remaining is taken by the filter roll ```

I've collected them over the years (the filters )  they stop engine crap that the spin on filter let's pass through ``` 

No problem Weezer ~trail riding ~ on what ```

Some oil ~ multi grade oils are better or worse by what they add to make them multi grade ~ I've read about a think called: "Shearing"  that is said to happen to the multigrade additive ```

1 hour ago, Vartan said:

No problem Weezer ~trail riding ~ on what ```

Being a very small guy, I ride a Honda CRF 150rb that has been modified for off road trail riding.  I also have a Honda CRF 230L for riding on the street.

Where is Calavada?  And what is Austvats?

I thought maybe you rode a horse ```

Ranch in California and in nevada ``` Austvats is the Armenian word ~ God  ```

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vartan said:

I thought maybe you rode a horse 

Had one as a kid growing up on the farm.  They are interesting creatures, but have always been more attracted to things mechanical.

• Thanks 1

I love the Weezer ~ they  permit an engine to run in clean oil ~ and the engine is better for it always...

On 11/18/2018 at 1:30 PM, Weezer said:

Had one as a kid growing up on the farm.  They are interesting creatures,

I've been on one. Never again. If it doesn't have a steering wheel and a brake pedal, I'm not getting in or on it.

• Haha 1

The one I had could be contrary at times.  Kinda like a mule.  Was glad to graduate to a car!