Goodbye Jesus

Voices from the past

Kat34

17 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I would recommend Dan Barker's book, I could really relate to it.

Some people find it harder to leave the fears behind, I likely found it easier than most. All of it came down to the fact I don't believe in original sin or anything in Genesis, and there's no need to examine anything else after that is debunked. That and the fact that I will not worship evil.

I’ve heard that Dan’s book is really helpful for former fundamentalists but possibly less so for people from a less literalist tradition who were allowed to believe in evolution and an old earth etc. If you think it addresses issues pertinent to Christians of any flavour I’d be happy to check it out?

Goodbye Jesus
21 minutes ago, Kat34 said:

I’ve heard that Dan’s book is really helpful for former fundamentalists but possibly less so for people from a less literalist tradition who were allowed to believe in evolution and an old earth etc. If you think it addresses issues pertinent to Christians of any flavour I’d be happy to check it out?

Imo Dan addresses the big questions, regardless of what flavour of Christianity you are from (although if I recall correctly he is a former fundamentalist of the literalist tradition).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kat34 said:

Which book is the overall best for former fundies? I see a handful by him on amazon. 

On 11/21/2018 at 11:56 AM, Kat34 said:

- Human history is the story of people trying to get things right without God and constantly failing. 

Human history is the story of "atheists?" 

That doesn't make any sense at all. In fact, human history is the story of people who were clearly NOT atheists, not without god, trying and failing to get things right WITH their respective gods. And now, finally, with atheism as a relatively new thing, trying something different. 

The rest of this idiot's claims follow behind his first initial lack of comprehension. And display the writers inability to first try and conceive what an absolute, all encompassing god even means to begin with. None of what he's written makes any sense against a comprehensive look at the absolute or transcendent, and what that necessarily entails. This is a good example of what I expect to see continue dying off in this world. And it's challenge, debate and education that will kill it off.