Sign in to follow this  
TruthSeeker0

'It's toxic': Former NHLer Carcillo on hazing and abuse

Maybe now, since prominent athletes are coming forward about abuse, it'll be taken more seriously, because it's not just a thing that happens to women

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/carcillo-hazing-hockey-culture-ohl-abuse-1.4922623

"That one kind of horrific story comes forward and it empowers other people to come forward with their horrific stories. The time seems right that we can come forward with these stories and maybe prompt some action."

At the same time, Johnson said Carcillo and others pushing for change face significant obstacles.

"Coaches and athletic directors, general managers are generally former athletes themselves, right? So they're also a part of that culture. And in terms of hazing, had it done to them and did it to others," Johnson points out.

"And that really normalizes behaviour, because everyone's doing it. So the biggest resistance I would say are actually the people that are in it. And it takes someone like we saw today with Dan kind of coming out and saying 'hey, I had it done to me and it was one of the worst things and almost ended my career'."

• Haha 1

It's almost like someone has a problem when TS posts because there's always the same typical reaction, but guess what, I don't give a shit for your opinion. 

Pro hockey players? The toothless guys who would rather fight on the ice than play the game? Who spend a good portion of their time in a penalty box? 

I used to go to hockey games. I saw a player chop out the eye of another with his stick. Many of them were bloodier than pro wrestlers. No pussies in that bunch, just animals. Perhaps it's time for a kinder, gentler hockey. I don't care, I don't follow the game anymore.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, florduh said:

Pro hockey players? The toothless guys who would rather fight on the ice than play the game? Who spend a good portion of their time in a penalty box? 

I used to go to hockey games. I saw a player chop out the eye of another with his stick. Many of them were bloodier than pro wrestlers. No pussies in that bunch, just animals. Perhaps it's time for a kinder, gentler hockey. I don't care, I don't follow the game anymore.

It used to be this way,  but the NHL had not been like this for years. I watch hockey religiously.  There's almost none of what you describe here going on anymore. Just FWIW.

1 hour ago, disillusioned said:

It used to be this way,  but the NHL had not been like this for years. I watch hockey religiously.  There's almost none of what you describe here going on anymore. Just FWIW.

As I said, don't follow it anymore. Maybe rugby still has "real men." 😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, florduh said:

I haven't followed it for close to two decades, last time I did I was in my teens, so I can't say anything about on ice behaviour, nor do I particularly care. Anyway, this article I just thought was a starting point for a discussion on hazing and abuse (clearly a hilarious topic for some people in this forum). There's been a lot of discussion about it in the Canadian media now due to the fact there's a sexual abuse investigation at one predominant Toronto private school.

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.