Goodbye Jesus

Almost outed myself

Fuego

My fundy bro-in-law asked if we'd found a church yet. I've been cloaked around him for the last 10 years since I deconverted, so I could still have some influence. But I'd had a couple of beers at a restaurant and while I considered simply telling him outright, I decided to just say no we haven't. I wasn't sure I could reason well at that time, and I'd like to be better prepared to talk. My wife says that it wouldn't go well if I did. But my "influence" is pretty darn limited since I only see them once or twice a year, so it's more for keeping the peace now. I don't really know how he'd react. He's going through some tough stuff personally, but they are still believers. So to keep things going as usual, I simply dropped the subject, as did he. I think his current trials have made him at least a bit less fundy, since that was the only time he brought it up, and let it go pretty easily.

• Super Moderator

Do you ever wonder how many people lie to you about who they are?

• Like 2

Good question. I'd guess most, to one extent or another. At least about the "skeletons in the closet". Most of us want to appear to be good or acceptable.

2 hours ago, florduh said:

I wonder about this daily and sometimes fantasize, briefly, about someone saying..."YEAH..ME TOOOOOO!" when I pronounce my atheism for my non churchyness. 

Hey, @Fuego

I would never advise people to come out as a non believer as the fallout can be rough. 

I will express my own relief and, yes some hardships, of being forthcoming, open and honest. I can tell you that, all told, coming out is a net win.

Still there's a time and a place - and Turkey day, or the like, with the fundy fams is not the venue as it might spoil some dinners/holidays and make me, and all atheists, look like pricks. 

No rush.

You'll know when it's time.

I hope your BIL professes doubt and frustration with religion at that time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, florduh said:

Yeah. And I'm sure a lot of them do. Hell, some of them pretend blatantly in front of me as if I'm not aware of their true, quite trashy, character and beliefs. Actually it's rare to meet genuine people, and I value them highly. Unsurprisingly there's quite a few of them in atheist circles. 

• Like 1