Goodbye Jesus

“America’s New Religions”

TABA

"We’re mistaken if we believe that the collapse of Christianity in America has led to a decline in religion. It has merely led to religious impulses being expressed by political cults."

“Now look at our politics.  We have the cult of Trump on the right, a demigod who, among his worshippers, can do no wrong.  And we have the cult of social justice on the left, a religion whose followers show the same zeal as any born-again Evangelical. They are filling the void that Christianity once owned...”

I don’t always agree with Andrew Sullivan, but he is always worth reading...

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2018/12/andrew-sullivan-americas-new-religions.html

• Thanks 2

Politics is IMPORTANT!!!!! Because....ummm...reasons. :)

Trump is the devil incarnate!  He will destroy us!

Hillary is the devil incarnate!  She will destroy us!

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 11:40 AM, ThereAndBackAgain said:

"We’re mistaken if we believe that the collapse of Christianity in America has led to a decline in religion. It has merely led to religious impulses being expressed by political cults."

“Now look at our politics.  We have the cult of Trump on the right, a demigod who, among his worshippers, can do no wrong.  And we have the cult of social justice on the left, a religion whose followers show the same zeal as any born-again Evangelical. They are filling the void that Christianity once owned...”

I don’t always agree with Andrew Sullivan, but he is always worth reading...

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2018/12/andrew-sullivan-americas-new-religions.html

I don’t agree that Christianity has collapsed. It is losing popularity and getting smaller but it isn’t going away any time soon, or maybe ever. Like any living organism it will evolve and change in order to survive. 

Most christians I run into nowdays just seem to make shit up wildly as they go. You cant fight it with Bible-knowledge cause they dont care. 

Me:  “Bible says... “

Them:  “Oh thats ok, I just do...”

As fundamentals fall, there is an increasingly huge puddle of people doing/saying/believing whatever they feel like. They will have their own personal little denomination based on nothing and yet still count themselves in the Christian camp. Weird. 

Prob always been that way but I see it more now personally

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

Most christians I run into nowdays just seem to make shit up wildly as they go. You cant fight it with Bible-knowledge cause they dont care. 

As fundamentals fall, there is an increasingly huge puddle of people doing/saying/believing whatever they feel like. They will have their own personal little denomination based on nothing and yet still count themselves in the Christian camp. Weird. 

This is true. And bizarre. I guess it's just part of christianity going on for this long. These people probably equate christian with good, so they're christian. The details they are blind to, as long as they're in the good camp, or the "correct" camp. 

The Egyptian religion of resurrection went on for some 2,000 years and by the tail end of it, the myths were extremely hybridized with Greek and other cultures. The originals were washing out over time. Eventually it became irrelevant for the most part, even though some people in esoteric circles kept it alive on small scale within secret societies and what not. I look at that and wonder if christianity will repeat the same basic pattern, because it's just a religion the popped up at the end of the Egyptian religions popular periods and took the resurrection aspect and ran with it. 2,000 years later, it doesn't look a whole lot different in comparison to the Egyptian religion in terms of washing out via 'anything goes' regardless of the original formats. Disregarding what the bible even says in the first place looks like a religion well beyond peaked, and now on steady decline. 

The political cults entering the picture during this decline.

58 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

These people probably equate christian with good, so they're christian. The details they are blind to, as long as they're in the good camp, or the "correct" camp. 

Nailed it, @Joshpantera.

That's why is can be challenging to hang it up. When you make the big announcement or just stop attending the weekly fundyfest you are also, in some eyes, eschewing the "good" part of society or just "our" cross section of it. I'm doing my best to show the fams that I'm still the same buttnugget I always was. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

Well, when you can literally justify anything - even completely opposing ideas - with the Bible, why not!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MOHO said:

buttnugget

Buttnugget? :lol: WHAT is a buttnugget?

• Haha 2

Well, Never, if you separate the word into it's component parts I'll bet you can figure it out.

7 minutes ago, older said:

Well, Never, if you separate the word into it's component parts I'll bet you can figure it out. 

:huh: :o :blush::D:lol::yelrotflmao::lmao: