Sign in to follow this  
Learnagain

Are atheists happy

On 12/9/2018 at 5:10 PM, Learnagain said:

I am still fearful that non Christians will be a bad influence on me if I hang around them. Most of them don't seem as happy about family life and seem less connected with the people around them. 

My family feels the same way and honestly that is why I will never confide how I really feel.  More than likely you are surrounded by people who don’t share your same belief about god.  Even people whom you think do have a differing view of that same god.  No two people think exactly alike even about the same topic which they agree upon.  Anyhow,  people are people.  Religion does not make a person moral.  Telling a person they must not do something that is obviously wrong just because of a belief system in a being that will punish them does not create a moral compass.  Everyone has the capacity within themselves to do good and not so good things.   Claiming you have a relationship with any god does not allow a person to claim a moral high ground.  To do so, belittles others around you.  Stop viewing those who do not hold your same beliefs as immoral.  I do not need an ancient book to tell me right from wrong.  How do people learn these things without being told or taught these things?  Well they can be taught in other ways or told by other facets of society that are not particularly religious like laws and societal norms.  I do not need however even a law to tell me that taking another person’s life is wrong.  The only time I would personally condone that is self defense and really even then I myself might have a difficult time carrying it out.  I mean it’s common sense.  

And to answer your question, are atheists happy?  They are as happy or as sad as anyone else in this world.  Happiness and joy are not uniquely connected to religion or any personal relationship with a god.  In fact, I am much much happier than I ever was before, jumping through imaginary hoops, forcing myself to believe in things I did not want to.  It was agony. I could not reconcile with myself the things being pushed down my throat.