Goodbye Jesus

Verses that bug you in the bible

Questioningone

“God has a plan for your life” Jeremiah 29:11

So misquoted as that is not to Christians in general 

“The fool says there is no god”. Psalm 14:

james 1:5 yeah right..yep

proverbs 3: 5-6. Oh wow that worked! Lol! 

I tried  hard to believe this crap, it didn’t work for me! 

• Like 1

"In the beginning..." 

• Haha 1

The odd part was that no matter how many times we quoted verses and claimed promises, we always gave him a pass when he utterly failed to keep his promises or honor the verses. Believers have to keep telling themselves that god is faithful anyway and has a better plan. Try that in the business world when you don't keep a contract or promise. Have one of your reps tell the other company "Oh, just trust him. He has a better plan (that he won't explain or give you any clues about). In fact even death is better, because you get to be with him forever!! Now tell him again how utterly great he is! Steeeevvvvee Jooooobbbbsss glooorrryyy awwwwesommmm...."

For me, the part I hated the most was MIS-quotes, like "As a man thinketh in his heart, so it he". They would preach on that like it was some kind of New Age truism that what you think, you become. But the actual quote is "Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony, for as he thinks in his heart, so is he". Taken in full context, Solomon is warning his newbie son about politics. Other kings will want to make treaties and deals, throw big parties for you, give you lots of wine and women, but all the while their hidden (in his heart) intent is to kill you and take your kingdom. Kind of a different meaning, huh?

There is one, Proverbs 14:12 "There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death." So... we should do what seems wrong to us? Stupid verse. Yeah, people make mistakes. The implied meaning is that the Bible will always have the right answer even if it seems stupid. But as we found out from experience in reality, it really is stupid to trust made up stories and primitive myths instead of what we can test and see.

• Like 1

Ask and you will receive . . .

Yeah in my 20+ years as a Christian that only worked in hindsight with a heavy dose of rationalization.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuego said:

Proverbs 14:12 "There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death

Part of my canned evangelical training.  Part of the assumptive sales pitch I used at around 100 households, and, "closing" nearly half of them with "the prayer of acceptance".

The thought of it all makes me Ill.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fuego said:

The odd part was that no matter how many times we quoted verses and claimed promises, we always gave him a pass when he utterly failed to keep his promises or honor the verses. Believers have to keep telling themselves that god is faithful anyway and has a better plan. Try that in the business world when you don't keep a contract or promise. Have one of your reps tell the other company "Oh, just trust him. He has a better plan (that he won't explain or give you any clues about). In fact even death is better, because you get to be with him forever!! Now tell him again how utterly great he is! Steeeevvvvee Jooooobbbbsss glooorrryyy awwwwesommmm...."

For me, the part I hated the most was MIS-quotes, like "As a man thinketh in his heart, so it he". They would preach on that like it was some kind of New Age truism that what you think, you become. But the actual quote is "Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony, for as he thinks in his heart, so is he". Taken in full context, Solomon is warning his newbie son about politics. Other kings will want to make treaties and deals, throw big parties for you, give you lots of wine and women, but all the while their hidden (in his heart) intent is to kill you and take your kingdom. Kind of a different meaning, huh?

There is one, Proverbs 14:12 "There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death." So... we should do what seems wrong to us? Stupid verse. Yeah, people make mistakes. The implied meaning is that the Bible will always have the right answer even if it seems stupid. But as we found out from experience in reality, it really is stupid to trust made up stories and primitive myths instead of what we can test and see.

Conflicting verses saying something is right there and wrong there drove me up the wall! 

Psalms 137:9. "Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."

I need not elaborate on why this may disturb someone.

• Sad 1

Matthew 7:22-23 22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’

Favorite verses in the Church of Christ. Members were constantly reminded they could never be sure they were saved. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

Favorite verses in the Church of Christ. Members were constantly reminded they could never be sure they were saved. 

Yep. People should take a hint and quit the religion! :P

The second to last verse in the bible.  "Yes I am coming soon. Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RachelReynoso said:

The second to last verse in the bible.  "Yes I am coming soon. Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!"

Can't tell if that's a warning or some raunchy fanfic. 

Mathew 15:30 A vast crowd brought to him people who were lame, blind, crippled, those who couldn’t speak, and many others. They laid them before Jesus, and he healed them all.

51 minutes ago, NeverHealed52Years said:

Mathew 15:30 A vast crowd brought to him people who were lame, blind, crippled, those who couldn’t speak, and many others. They laid them before Jesus, and he healed them all.

What an asshole.  Happy to heal any and all that came to him back then, but can't be bothered to lift a finger for anyone now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

Psalms 137:9

I had one guy try and justify the genocide of kingdoms by saying "well they were horrible people. They worshipped demons and sacrificed babies. Would you let someone live who sacrificed babies?" 

So to protect babies your solution is to kill everyone including the babies? "Ha! In your face demon! We've killed all the babies so you don't get any! Bet you feel pretty beaten now!" 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daffodil said:

What an asshole.  Happy to heal any and all that came to him back then, but can't be bothered to lift a finger for anyone now.

That was one thing I always questioned..why doesn’t god speak like he did to people in the bible? They heard him audibly... and the healing! No Christian ever answers directly... all they say is “oh he does speak, you aren’t listening!” 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Geezer said:

Matthew 7:22-23 22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’

Oh, yeah! pretty damm scary verses when you think about it. So these people could do exorcisms and miracles, and yet weren't "saved". Goin' straight ta hell. Yeah, that's ridiculous!

10 hours ago, Wertbag said:

I had one guy try and justify the genocide of kingdoms by saying "well they were horrible people. They worshipped demons and sacrificed babies. Would you let someone live who sacrificed babies?" 

So to protect babies your solution is to kill everyone including the babies? "Ha! In your face demon! We've killed all the babies so you don't get any! Bet you feel pretty beaten now!" 🤔

But those dead babies is in heaven, now.  Dontcha git it?   😀

“Do good to your enemies”

no.. just no. Doing so means you get exploited and people think you are  gullible and a pushover 

• Like 1

Where I live a very large segment of the population thrives on and gets their sick kicks and fun from abusing, annoying, attacking and even harming others and their property.  The more you turn the other check and don't respond or respond in love and "do good to your enemies"  the more they laugh and scoff and  keep doubling down on their evildoing. Until they get the reaction they are after. They are so warped they will keep it up for decades, yes folks true statement, decades. They won't stop till they achieve their goal. We have seen numerous times, some one being very abusive to the neighborhood because they are still attacking someone who had moved away years ago.  Yet the sickos are still attacking someone who isn't even there.  It is like they feed on it ...how sick and evil is that! I earnestly tried for decades to pray for and love and do good to my enemies....and boy did I suffer at the hands of evildoers and nutcases!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, Fuego said:

The odd part was that no matter how many times we quoted verses and claimed promises, we always gave him a pass when he utterly failed to keep his promises or honor the verses. Believers have to keep telling themselves that god is faithful anyway and has a better plan. Try that in the business world

So true. So true!!

• Like 2

On 12/10/2018 at 5:51 PM, Questioningone said:

“God has a plan for your life” Jeremiah 29:11

So misquoted as that is not to Christians in general 

“The fool says there is no god”. Psalm 14:

james 1:5 yeah right..yep

proverbs 3: 5-6. Oh wow that worked! Lol! 

I tried  hard to believe this crap, it didn’t work for me! 

Technically, it's "the fool has said in his heart that there is no god." Annie Laurie Gaylor adds "the wise person say it out loud!"

Jeremiah annoyed me when I was a believer, because I was taught to consider the context. The passage is talking about how the god is going to prosper the nation of Israel, not saying that it micromanages everyone's lives all through history. Plus, it came with a caveat... the god wanted to prosper them, but he also threatened to destroy them!

2 hours ago, Lerk said:

the god wanted to prosper them, but he also threatened to destroy them!

"Ima hurt you 'cause you don't love me enough bitch! Now tell me again how great I am..."

• Like 2

At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, "Who touched my clothes?"

-Mark 5:30

Ok, so it didn’t bug me so much but it made everyone I was talking to about it (including the preacher present) deeply uncomfortable. It was an innocent Bible study and I said.

”That’s really interesting! So God’s power is something that he can perceive to flow and it can do so outside his knowledge. Granted, Jesus did not always seem carry the omniscience of God the Father. Presumably God the Father revealed knowledge to Jesus as appropriate. Still it’s interesting that Jesus can perceive his own power in a tangible way and not know to whom it flowed. I wonder if the triggering event for its activation was God willing it without Jesus’s knowledge or if the woman’s acts were the triggering mechanism outside of God’s direct influence, i.e. a fundamental atribute of reality itself...” 

I was thanked for my perspective and curiosity but told not to look too deeply into God’s power. That was not for us to understand. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dexter said:

At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, "Who touched my clothes?"

-Mark 5:30

Ok, so it didn’t bug me so much but it made everyone I was talking to about it (including the preacher present) deeply uncomfortable. It was an innocent Bible study and I said.

”That’s really interesting! So God’s power is something that he can perceive to flow and it can do so outside his knowledge. Granted, Jesus did not always seem carry the omniscience of God the Father. Presumably God the Father revealed knowledge to Jesus as appropriate. Still it’s interesting that Jesus can perceive his own power in a tangible way and not know to whom it flowed. I wonder if the triggering event for its activation was God willing it without Jesus’s knowledge or if the woman’s acts were the triggering mechanism outside of God’s direct influence, i.e. a fundamental atribute of reality itself...” 

I was thanked for my perspective and curiosity but told not to look too deeply into God’s power. That was not for us to understand. 

One of my many confusions..such as Jesus being God in the flesh and somehow “praying” to God... I.E himself. Soooo much confusion 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Questioningone said:

One of my many confusions..such as Jesus being God in the flesh and somehow “praying” to God... I.E himself. Soooo much confusion 

And,  ironically...god is not the AUTHOR of confusion....so how did he AUTHOR a confusing book?