RachelReynoso

game changer

The most profound thing i ever heard was in my Alcoholics Anonymous book. It said. "Either God is everything or God is nothing. " That was my game changer. The christian God is certainly not everything. But shouldnt god BE everything? That was When i said goodbye to God as i thought i knew Him and embraced God as All That Is. 

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

23 minutes ago, RachelReynoso said:

...and embraced God as All That Is. 

Explain yourself, young lady! :glare:

On 12/11/2018 at 6:50 PM, RachelReynoso said:

That was When i said goodbye to God as i thought i knew Him and embraced God as All That Is. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism

Pantheism is the belief that reality is identical with divinity,[1] or that all-things compose an all-encompassing, immanent god.[2]Pantheist belief does not recognize a distinct personal anthropomorphic god[3] and instead characterizes a broad range of doctrines differing in forms of relationships between reality and divinity.[4]

<snipage from wiki>

That is a game changer, isn't it. 

• Like 1

The most profound thing i ever heard was in my Alcoholics Anonymous book. It said. "Either God is everything or God is nothing. " That was my game changer. The christian God is certainly not everything. But shouldnt god BE everything? That was When i said goodbye to God as i thought i knew Him and embraced God as All That Is. 

You gotta be careful about statements that make general, overarching claims about "God" - as everyone has a very different understanding of what the word means. However, if that statement helped you compartmentalize and understand something about the concept of God in a way that you were able to move past certain toxic Xian beliefs, then I'm glad. Welcome to X-Xian!

I do have mixed feelings about AA, on the one hand, it helped one of my good friends quit his compulsive drinking.  However, it replaced that addiction with a god one.  I may not be an expert in psychology or addictions but I'd say that one is truly free from these ills until they are can stand on their own mentally.  In other words, be able to operate without the crutches of either mind altering substances or mind altering imaginary friends. 

"Either God is everything or God is nothing. "

Welcome to X-Xian! Xianity as it is today doesn't actually teach that God is everything (even if they pretend that it does - they don't really think about what that sentence means). They teach that God is a very specific, very opinionated, possibly temperamental (depending on who you ask) entity with a lot of concerns about what humans should do, which is a far cry from "everything".