Goodbye Jesus

How to find myself after Christianity (hobbies)

Questioningone

Hello everyone

I’m trying to find myself after Christianity. I’m trying to find interests. I lost them all due to me thinking it was “idolatry”

I suffer from depression on top of things so it’s making it hard. Also physical health issues. 

I used to be into several tv shows and some kpop and I have recently tried to listen to that again, after ditching it in forsake of Jesus. I like the music but it doesn’t make me feel good like it used to. I’ve lost that side of me. Jpop doesn’t appeal to me at all anymore and I was into that a lot. 

I have no desire to see the tv shows again as they make me feel sick to think about. I trashed the dvds, films etc and don’t feel right about it as they were huge parts of my life which did destroy me as well.. it became obsessive and one caused issues in my life I don’t care to discuss. I feel they are just not “me” anymore. I did try a tv show and finished the season but just..meh... you know? It just isn’tthere for me anymore. The elements in it that go against Christianity bug me inside.

I also have started an online game I used to play which I find an average sense of enjoyment in. I ditched that and pretty much destroyed it due to me thinking it was an “idol”. It’s ok but can’t play it all day. 

I also have tried a film genre I was kinda into. Not a lot but I have seen two or 3 movies in full in this genre since my deconversion. I have no interest in anymore. Seen trailers and just the ones I saw were ok. 

I really want to find a tv show to binge on or something but it just isn’t working

I’m really into Japan and want to find some Japanese interest.... I am not into anime at all. I have tried to find an anime , I just find it an interesting country and I like the politeness, cherry blossoms, scenery, shops, fashion, stuffed animals... I like Sanrio as well a lot. But these aren’t “hobbies”. 

I tried colouring books but they just frustrate me. I used to be into sticker collecting... which I will try to get into but I have a limited interest in stickers so it’s not something to spend lots of time on.  I trashed many of my albums due to thinking it was “evil” what I was collecting (I thought Disney was 666 and wicked.. I had many Disney stickers I spent so much money on..hundreds!). 

A time long ago I was into pokemon but I think I lost interest in that due to the voice actor change. I tried to get into period drama movies but I just am not finding myself drawn to them. I was into them. 

I have an interest in healthy diets and do try to eat healthy every single day. 

Does anyone have any idea on how to find hobbies? I am meant to go walking for health but I’m really rundown and sick right now. 

• Like 1

Ouija board. 

Wow I’d love to go there

Can you get out of the house at all? Is mobility an issue? If not you could try different kinds of hobby groups, just a wider variety of them. Things that you hadn't pictured yourself trying before. Sometimes we surprise ourselves. 

How about finding an online social media site were people bitch about Christianism and Religiosity?

No.

That's lame.

Never mind.

• Haha 5

Oh wow, sorry you are struggling. Here is a list of possible options.

1) Color Pencil and Watercolor Color booking: Every subject matter that exists has color books. Most are pencils only. Some can be gently Water colored with not much water . There are books, pencils and paints in every quality level and price range. Something for everybody. My favorites are the middle price, ok quality paper, adult line Creative Haven Collection, (they have kids books too)by Dover Publishing. Can buy directly online from them  and many places. Some retail stores carry at least some of their very large collection.

2) Sit and Be Fit with Mary Ann Wilson R.N.. Excellent exercise that can be done standing or sitting or combo of both. Researched and put together by medical professionals not just the latest exercise trend guru. Easy, gentle, safe, effective. Especially for those with limitations. And even those without! She has a daily show on my PBS station. But you can also buy her last couple years of programs in DVD sets. Try your local library and youtube to preview before you buy if not carried on TV in your area.

3) Yarn, embroidery floss, crochet thread is No longer just for Knitters (I cant and hate traditional knitting and crocheting). Many companies carry Boutique lines of awesome yarns, threads  etc.. They are great for getting very creative with small looms, knitting SPOOLS, hand knitting(NO Knitting Needles, just use your hands), to make SOFT jewelry, arm sleeves, shawls. Or combined with beads and buttons etc. Then there are of course Yoyo, Pinwheel, Flower Makers from Clover that allows adding FABRICS etc. to the creative mix.  Excellent web sites exist that for free have a gazillion step by step how to's. And just looking at the photos of what others have done can fire up your internal creativity.

What I love about 1 and 3 is the fabulous colors. The textures are also cool. And the bling/shine. Many of the yarns have metallic threads and tiny sequins. There are also metallic threads. And of course most beads have at least some shine to them. Crayola for kids and expensive brands now make Metallic and Glitter watercolors and color pencils. I don't know if Red Heart has discontinued their great Boutique yarns. When I purchased many  years ago they were awesome. But It's a company to start with.

Just a few things that you might look into if you love color, textures and playing like a kid again.

And like me need to use the creative side of your brain. I had totally lost all creativity. That part of my brain was dormant for so long.

• Like 1

The one thing that helped me the most was martial arts, and if you have a love of Japanese culture and history then that could appeal.  There are traditional martial arts like karate, jujitsu, judo and ninjitsu that have schools all over the world.  Martial arts improve fitness, flexibility, helps meet new people, sets achievable goals and gives useful skills.  Most schools are reasonably priced with the only expenses being a uniform and club fees.  But most of all it is good fun.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Questioningone said:

Does anyone have any idea on how to find hobbies? I am meant to go walking for health but I’m really rundown and sick right now. 

I'm a sucker for art! Have you tried painting or using colored pencils/markers? It doesn't matter if you don't think you can represent things accurately - it can be super fun just creating abstract blotches of color! Also if museums are accessible to you they are always excellent for visits.

As for Japanese culture... Have you tried checking out Japanese films (non-anime?). Kurosawa is a super famous and influential director. Did you know the original Star Wars (Episode IV) was inspired in parts by The Hidden Fortress?

These are just thoughts!

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Learn the Japanese language.

• Like 2

I like painting, writing, crochet/knitting, poetry, reading anything and everything, there is so much to read I never got into while religious, photography, baking, and  dabbling in graphic art. Next on my list is joining a group to improve or rather gain some public speaking skills.

• Like 1

When I deconverted, I read. I mean, I read a lot. Whatever I could find about science, tech, and space travel, I was into. Not so much any more, unfortunately. :/

• Like 2

We have had endless hours of great enjoyment and learning about different kinds of birds with spreading Birdseed around on the ground and hanging Hummingbird Feeders.

We don't buy the Seed feeders for numerous reasons. For the most enjoyment and to help the little sweeties the most it is best to just walk around your home tossing/scattering pinches of seed so it lands around and under the plants.

This has the birds scratching and pecking for the seed like they would normally do. It gives every bird a fair chance to get their share of  seed. You don't need to clean feeders (yuk). Doesn't bring Raccoons, larger birds, predators  etc. to your yard. The hanging and platform feeders are a draw for predators and species that you don't want around your birds.

You can watch the bird activity, social interactions, habits, personalities, moral codes, lifestyle, courtship rituals of each species...not just see some birds fly up, grab a seed and go away.

When they have their babies every year you can watch the fuzzy baby birds walk along beside mommy being fed seed as she picks them up and gives them to them. And later watch them learning to feed themselves. It is all great fun.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NeverHealed52Years said:

We have had endless hours of great enjoyment and learning about different kinds of birds with spreading Birdseed around on the ground and hanging Hummingbird Feeders.

We don't buy the Seed feeders for numerous reasons. For the most enjoyment and to help the little sweeties the most it is best to just walk around your home tossing/scattering pinches of seed so it lands around and under the plants. This has the birds scratching and pecking for the seed like they would normally do. It gives every bird a fair chance to get their share of  seed. You don't need to clean feeders (yuk). Doesn't bring Raccoons, larger birds, predators  etc. to your yard. The feeders are a draw.

You can watch the bird activity, social interactions, habits, personalities, moral codes, lifestyle, courtship rituals of each species...not just see some birds fly up, grab a seed and go away.

When they have their babies every year you can watch the fuzzy baby birds walk along beside mommy being fed seed as she picks them up and gives them to them. And later watch them learning to feed themselves. It is all great fun.  

Also fun is participating in the feeder count, I used to do that every winter. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:50 PM, TruthSeeker0 said:

Also fun is participating in the feeder count, I used to do that every winter.  

Hummm sorry If this is a stupid question... It's not you, it's me :) 

You mean counting how many show up at a feeder? I read somewhere that if I count how many Hummys I see at the feeder in one hour (?) and multiply it by number of daylight hours (?) I know how many are actually visiting my feeder...or something like that.

30 minutes ago, NeverHealed52Years said:

Hummm sorry If this is a stupid question... It's not you, it's me :) 

You mean counting how many show up at a feeder? I read somewhere that if I count how many Hummys I see at the feeder in one hour (?) and multiply it by number of daylight hours (?) I know how many are actually visiting my feeder...or something like that.

Not a stupid question at all https://feederwatch.org/

• Thanks 1

I am unsure. I’m trying to get into jewellery making but can’t where I live due to chemical fumes. It’s something I’m into but seems very expensive. I want to make cute kawaii jewellery to sell. 

I thought about stamp collecting but I’m only interested in certain types of stamps. Japanese or floral designs in particular. 

I cant paint or do any Arty stuff... I’m clumsy!. I tried origami but I’m sooooo bad at that. I want to make cherry blossom crafts or something with a Japanese or a floral design if I can. Not into knitting or sewing I’ve had so many bad experiences with that. 

I did do dot to dot books and also have tried sticker by number which was ok but frustrating these two hobbies. Don’t find them peaceful. 

I am trying sticker collecting right now. Trying to finish an album. 

I have tried anime but it just doesn’t hold my interest. I’ve seen a few j movies which were ok. Not into Japanese movies apart from the ones I saw. I might see “your name”. I was never much into Studio Ghibli. I used to like Kiki’s delivery service and Arrietty (was a big fan of that).i liked “when marnie was there” and “whisper of the heart” I used to like several movies and also period drama movies. I used to be huge into pokemon, digimon... I might see Mirai when it comes out. And might see Mary and the witch’s flower. I used to love barbie movies.

I also tried “whipple” a craft set a few years ago.. went everywhere... looked awful lol. Never had luck with kits. The whipple originates from Japan.. no surprise there. 

I am buying a hemp bracelet kit or picture bracelet kit soon. No doubt going to fail. I like craft stuff but I’m no good at it! I also tried paper flowers years ago but it was a fail too. 

i did consider geocaching but not into that idea it seems kinda dangerous and I can’t travel.

I play onlline bingo and the app of cooking mama (Japanese origin too lol). It’s casual and ok for me. Will delete cooking mama soon because it’s just the same recipes every day. 

If if anyone knows any Japanese games I’ll try them out. I seem to gravitate towards Japanese stuff for some reason 🤔 

As for exercise I’m very weak, tired and have trouble even moving due to exhaustion. I want to do it but it’s hard. I want to go for daily walks. I had planned an hour a day but it didn’t work. 

I also have tried learning japanese but I’m not a good learner and it’s incredibly hard for me.... just not interested enough either. I would like to know it but it’s overwhelming learning a language. I did attempt learning Italian which I did like..but abandoned that for my faith. I found it an interesting language. 

I used to own tamagotchis. I’ve been wanting to try animal crossing for a few years and Mario kart and Nintendo in general as I didn’t grow up with it and feel I missed out. I want to play something with princess peach. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Questioningone said:

I am unsure. I’m trying to get into jewellery making but can’t where I live due to chemical fumes. It’s something I’m into but seems very expensive. I want to make cute kawaii jewellery to sell. 

I thought about stamp collecting but I’m only interested in certain types of stamps. Japanese or floral designs in particular. 

I cant paint or do any Arty stuff... I’m clumsy!. I tried origami but I’m sooooo bad at that. I want to make cherry blossom crafts or something with a Japanese or a floral design if I can. Not into knitting or sewing I’ve had so many bad experiences with that. 

I did do dot to dot books and also have tried sticker by number which was ok but frustrating these two hobbies. Don’t find them peaceful. 

I am trying sticker collecting right now. Trying to finish an album. 

I have tried anime but it just doesn’t hold my interest. I’ve seen a few j movies which were ok. Not into Japanese movies apart from the ones I saw. I might see “your name”. I was never much into Studio Ghibli. I used to like Kiki’s delivery service and Arrietty (was a big fan of that).i liked “when marnie was there” and “whisper of the heart” I used to like several movies and also period drama movies. I used to be huge into pokemon, digimon... I might see Mirai when it comes out. And might see Mary and the witch’s flower. I used to love barbie movies.

I also tried “whipple” a craft set a few years ago.. went everywhere... looked awful lol. Never had luck with kits. The whipple originates from Japan.. no surprise there. 

I am buying a hemp bracelet kit or picture bracelet kit soon. No doubt going to fail. I like craft stuff but I’m no good at it! I also tried paper flowers years ago but it was a fail too. 

i did consider geocaching but not into that idea it seems kinda dangerous and I can’t travel.

I play onlline bingo and the app of cooking mama (Japanese origin too lol). It’s casual and ok for me. Will delete cooking mama soon because it’s just the same recipes every day. 

If if anyone knows any Japanese games I’ll try them out. I seem to gravitate towards Japanese stuff for some reason 🤔 

As for exercise I’m very weak, tired and have trouble even moving due to exhaustion. I want to do it but it’s hard. I want to go for daily walks. I had planned an hour a day but it didn’t work. 

I also have tried learning japanese but I’m not a good learner and it’s incredibly hard for me.... just not interested enough either. I would like to know it but it’s overwhelming learning a language. I did attempt learning Italian which I did like..but abandoned that for my faith. I found it an interesting language. 

I used to own tamagotchis. I’ve been wanting to try animal crossing for a few years and Mario kart and Nintendo in general as I didn’t grow up with it and feel I missed out. I want to play something with princess peach. 

Could I give a little advice. Sometimes when we try new things but have set our minds with the preset "I'm likely going to fail" or "I'm probably not going to like this" it doesn't turn out too well because we have already half made up our minds before we begin. So it's better to just try things without any expectations at all and we might be surprised. 

As well, if you suffer from exhaustion and your mobility is limited, setting a one hour goal for exercise is way too much in particular if you're just beginning or trying to get back to a rythm. You'll become discouraged when you can't do it so you won't try again. Aim for 15 minutes or so and increase it gradually. 

Same goes for learning languages. We are all learners and can do it but it needs to be broken down into small objectives we can achieve, or we will give up. Starting out with flash cards or learning the language a fun way really helps. The key is don't put pressure or expectations on yourself and do it just to have fun. Therefore if you end up learning something it's just an added bonus.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Questioningone said:

Yeah, I cant do the jewelry making using soldering and metals and glues...the glues are the worst for me. That is why I do beads, buttons, knitting SPOOLs, small looms, Pinwheel, Flower, YoYo makers, string the beads/buttons etc. on beading thread, ribbons...the only dangerous object is a sewing needle and beading needles (which aren't sharp pointed). I keep it safe, healthy. I don't buy the necklace clasps so I don't need crimp beads, crimp tools, beading wire and wire cutters. I keep it really simple...my, and many of the really awesome professional creations I have seen on the internet, use the same round rings that are used in ladies bras (cut off and save rings before throwing away an old bra) to tie the necklaces/bracelets on...and other simple ways to close them. Walmart always has dollar, 2 dollar, 5 dollar bins of fun items. The bead stores are very expensive.

• Like 1

It can be hard to find/rediscover hobbies after religion. I used to love cooking and for a long time after life fell apart, I wanted nothing to do with it. A year later, I’m loving it again.

i try to stay flexible with hobbies. I’ve never been a person to pick one thing and stick with it. Recent things I’ve tried have been needle felting- use a special needle to repeatedly jab a ball of wool(very therapeutic, lol). Also belly dancing- look up videos by Irina on YouTube. I also live in an older house and have kept busy by painting rooms, or the wood trim.

Ive watched many kdramas on the app viki. 

I enjoy using Pinterest. Even if I don’t pick up a particular craft, I do enjoy collecting ideas. 

Tryto to be patient with yourself. Losing religion is an immense change. 

• Like 1

I don't know if I have an answer.  I'm actually rather like you.  I find it hard to take interest in lots of things.  I never watch TV.  When I turn the thing on I just scan down through what's showing and then turn the blasted thing off again.  And I've never understood why anyone was interested in watching sports.  Are they just ..... well, no sense offending the sports fans at this site. Can't remember the last time I went out to a movie.  For almost the last two years I have more or less "sequestered myself" to write some books (one of which I have published). That is what is keeping me going.  Do you have any interest in writing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wadori said:

I don't know if I have an answer.  I'm actually rather like you.  I find it hard to take interest in lots of things.  I never watch TV.  When I turn the thing on I just scan down through what's showing and then turn the blasted thing off again.  And I've never understood why anyone was interested in watching sports.  Are they just ..... well, no sense offending the sports fans at this site. Can't remember the last time I went out to a movie.  For almost the last two years I have more or less "sequestered myself" to write some books (one of which I have published). That is what is keeping me going.  Do you have any interest in writing?

No not at all. 

53 minutes ago, Questioningone said:

No not at all. 

When I was able to do so I used to dance, kayak, hike and play tennis. (I forever regret that I never tried hang gliding.)  My physical disabilities pretty much preclude these things now, but those would be my other suggestions from my own experience.  But you, of course, would have to go with what you like.  One could create a list of a hundred or so different hobbies or activities to choose from, but I assume you could do that yourself.  It's just a matter of finding what appeals to you.  There are lots of groups out there that are involved in various "causes" or "efforts":  environmental, social justice, etc. I'm not sure just what I would be doing right now if I weren't writing.  When I finish I'll have to figure it out too.  Sorry I don't seem to be able to be much more help, but good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I’m finding it hard to remove god from my life. God filled a deep void I had in my heart a lot and nothing fills that now. I’m trying to find hobbies but nothing is working. I can’t be a Christian, it made me miserable every day and so upset. 

I’ve also been wondering what to do with all the bible studies and books, posters..etc I have got. Including bibles and posters even. Seems a waste to throw out. I had achieved a certificate as well. 

Hey @Questioningone

Let's revisit that walking thing - assuming you are not too sick to get out of the house.

Exorcise is one of the best things for deprogramming and relieving depression.

Take some tunes or talk radio along (secular dammit!)   :yelrotflmao:

How's the weather where you are?

• Like 1