Sign in to follow this  
Questioningone

How to find myself after Christianity (hobbies)

42 minutes ago, Questioningone said:

Update. I’m finding it hard to remove god from my life. God filled a deep void I had in my heart a lot and nothing fills that now. I’m trying to find hobbies but nothing is working. I can’t be a Christian, it made me miserable every day and so upset. 

I’ve also been wondering what to do with all the bible studies and books, posters..etc I have got. Including bibles and posters even. Seems a waste to throw out. I had achieved a certificate as well. 

Don't put a time limit on anything, including when to let go of the religious stuff.  Just allow everything to happen and don't fight it too much. I threw out my religious things one at a time and on certain days when I was ready to let it go. If you pick up a hobby and don't like it, try again. Or do them all. Be as OCD as you want. Read for a while, take a walk, do some housework, watch history youtubes, keep investigating why you are not a believer anymore. Just do what you want. I know it can feel empty for a while but that vacuumed hole well start to fill in with other things. But it takes time so don't be hard on yourself. I went back to work. I hate it but it's the best thing in the world for me. Best of luck...and keep posting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Questioningone said:

Update. I’m finding it hard to remove god from my life. God filled a deep void I had in my heart a lot and nothing fills that now. I’m trying to find hobbies but nothing is working. I can’t be a Christian, it made me miserable every day and so upset. 

I’ve also been wondering what to do with all the bible studies and books, posters..etc I have got. Including bibles and posters even. Seems a waste to throw out. I had achieved a certificate as well. 

Give yourself time, and plenty of it. This isn't a matter of changing your life in a matter of weeks or months, but years. Patience is key. I would also see a secular therapist and talk about this with them. It helps a lot with learning to cope and gain a new perspective.

As to those, well if god is out of your life and religion made your miserable, I would celebrate with a bonfire, watch them go up in smoke and say hello to a brighter future. Seeing them on the shelves will only hold memories for you you don't need at this point. Another option is just donate them to a used book store.

• Thanks 1

Regarding your exhaustion have you had that diagnosed? Certainly a lot of potential reasons for it (diet, parasites, sleep issues, illness, allergies etc). If you know the cause then its a question of whether it is resolvable or if you don't then you should focus on getting that corrected. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Questioningone said:

You will get used to it. I am sure that there are volunteer organizations in your area...Lions club, volunteer fire department, community recreation committees...I'd bet that any of those could use some of your time. 

As for the books, posters, and whatnot, I would recommend that you do get rid of it, but on your own time, of course. Don't give it to anyone else, because that wont do them any favors.

How about reading books by atheist authors such as Richard Dawkins? I found that the more I read about the fallacies and dangers of religion, the more determined I was to stay away from it. :)

• Like 1

On 12/25/2018 at 12:07 PM, Margee said:

My reply is to Questioningone: I’m finding it hard to remove god from my life. God filled a deep void I had in my heart a lot and nothing fills that now. I’m trying to find hobbies but nothing is working. I can’t be a Christian, it made me miserable every day and so upset. 

I joined Toastmasters International. They're a worthy group to join. They have weekly meetings where it's a place for personal self-improvement as well as a place to help you to be a better communicator in your workplace, helps you to improve public speaking, make new friends and have fun. Google to find a group near you.

• Like 2

Taken an interest crystals. I bought a rose quartz necklace. I tended to avoid crystals as I thought it was witch-ish but even during my Christian days I did buy a rose quartz bracelet. I wore it today. I’m also researching crystals in healing andtried to see my own aura. Yesterday it seemed blue and today bluish, pinkish and purple. I’m practicing. Going to buy a chakra bracelet sometime. I’m looking at it for healing. Probably waste of time and total bulls*** (ok yes it is) but I am experimenting. I’ve found the “mystical” world interesting since I was a kid. I also have been looking at my own birth chart. I used to be into those a lot and palmistry and graphology. 

If I had my own home I’d buy chimes, candles  and crystals and dolphin ornaments and stuff like that. 

I’ve been drawn to rose quartz since I was a teen.. think because it’s my favourite colour. Actually it is a stone of my star sign too.  

Also found a neat kpop song I’m totally into.. listened to it on repeat 

• Like 2

On 12/27/2018 at 2:50 AM, Questioningone said:

Taken an interest crystals.

I don't pretend to understand a theory behind it, but I find crystals and rocks very grounding and emotionally calming!

On 12/25/2018 at 8:16 PM, Questioningone said:

Hey there, it took me years to get rid of my Christian books. There's even a thread about this somewhere. I think a lot of people feel/felt the same.

What about joining a secular choir?

I don't sing right now, but I miss it. That's actually one of the things I miss the most.

I could not wait to get rid of all the religious books. Sneaking the dozen or so bibles out of the house without my spouse noticing was another matter.

Japanese tattoos are freaking awesome... I mean if you get bored and want a more permanent change... :D

• Haha 1