Goodbye Jesus

Hello

Miriam

Hello all - I am an evangelical Anglican from Australia. I am what you'd call "conservative" - I'm not here to shove my beliefs in your face which is un-biblical anyway, I just want to read some of your posts, if I post it will never be to insult or anything like that, I will just state what I believe and why, in answer to something most likely.

Thanks for having me!

Miriam

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Goodbye Jesus

Welcome.  I hope you enjoy your time here.

All are welcome, @Miriam.

Keep an open mind while here. You will be better for it.

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

Thanks for the welcome! 

Hi Miriam!  Welcome 😃 

Hi there and welcome, Miriam! How did you find us and what made you sign up?

OTRR

Welcome to the site Miriam!

I just want to learn about your viewpoint a little, by listening, but also sharing mine and seeing what you say.

• Super Moderator

Welcome.

Feel free to peruse relevant threads in the Lion' Den to get a feel for our viewpoints here. I think just about every scenario has been covered, though of course you may ask us questions. We don't really have many questions about the Christian belief system due to the fact that we have been devoted and sincere regarding the belief and we have been Biblical scholars, teachers, missionaries and preachers. Ex-Christians obviously were once Christians of one brand or another but have discovered that the belief doesn't hold up to scrutiny. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's OK, I don't expect you to agree with me, I'm just wanting to understand, hear what you say in response :)

(I'm not trying to convert anyone, I am here for my own benefit)

Thank you for your answer, Miriam, and welcome again!

On 12/26/2018 at 11:54 AM, Miriam said:

Hello all - I am an evangelical Anglican from Australia. I am what you'd call "conservative" - I'm not here to shove my beliefs in your face which is un-biblical anyway, I just want to read some of your posts, if I post it will never be to insult or anything like that, I will just state what I believe and why, in answer to something most likely.

Thanks for having me!

Miriam

Welcome. I am an ex conservative fundamentalist myself. The bible does say "go ye therefore and teach all nations," therefore I do not think one can say that proselytizing is unbiblical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It just says in the bible to tell people the gospel news "with gentleness and respect" - bible bashing isn't very respectful, I think.

• Super Moderator

I have nephews that live down Canberra way.

Welcome, @Miriam! Even if you don't agree with our conclusions a heightened awareness and sensitivity between people, through communication, will be beneficial to everyone!

Redneck - I'm in Melbourne :) 

9 hours ago, DestinyTurtle said:

Welcome, @Miriam! Even if you don't agree with our conclusions a heightened awareness and sensitivity between people, through communication, will be beneficial to everyone! 

Thank you - I don't think everyone here agrees with that, though. I've spent my whole time racing around answering you guys, I've only been able to ask two questions, and what I've basically got back is hostility - my apologies to the people on this forum who have treated me with the utmost respect, for this I thank you. How about we start from the top?  

12 hours ago, Miriam said:

Thank you - I don't think everyone here agrees with that, though. I've spent my whole time racing around answering you guys, I've only been able to ask two questions, and what I've basically got back is hostility - my apologies to the people on this forum who have treated me with the utmost respect, for this I thank you. How about we start from the top?  

Just take into consideration the landscape of our forums which Floriduh already touched on. We're an online community of former christians of both liberal and conservative bents, many of whom were in clergy type positions, teachers, and leaders within both denominational and non-denominational congregations. You're not addressing life long atheists and anti-religionist's who were never born into or converted over to christianity. 

Having said that, there's a certain level of natural hostility towards christians by those who have left. And the reasons for that hostility range from mental to physical abuses that people have suffered at the hands of their respective faiths. This isn't very different than posting on a board for former rape victims or anything similar. These victims will understandably hold certain strong biases and opinions. The same is true when you gather together people who have been lied to, manipulated, coerced, etc., etc., by their respective churches and / or church communities. 

Despite the above, you've also been met with the utmost respect by some members. I'm just saying take everything you encounter here with a grain of salt and keep in mind the landscape of the domain that you're posting, inquiring, and being answered from within. If anything crosses a line somewhere we will certainly step in to moderate it. Just summon one of the moderation team if you think that is happening. And feel free to question away. 

Welcome aboard. 

• Like 2

Greetings, Miriam. Though we've already chatted a little bit in other threads, I'd like to welcome you to the board here.

13 hours ago, Miriam said:

There's a lot of anger being expressed here. I'll be honest and say I'm processing some anger myself, but more specifically about particular theologies and teachings rather than Christianity as a whole (although you'll hear me make broad spectrum criticisms on occasion). I'm here largely to validate and share experiences/feelings with people who have struggled with experiences with abusive beliefs like I have. A lot of us live in areas or have lives where we're constantly surrounded by Xians who criticize and demonize people like us, and I guess this is where the steam comes out. That's not to say there isn't some genuine discussion and reasoning happening here -- there's a lot of that too. There are all types. I think it's important to understand that context in order not to take things personally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DestinyTurtle said:

There's a lot of anger being expressed here. I'll be honest and say I'm processing some anger myself, but more specifically about particular theologies and teachings rather than Christianity as a whole (although you'll hear me make broad spectrum criticisms on occasion). I'm here largely to validate and share experiences/feelings with people who have struggled with experiences with abusive beliefs like I have. A lot of us live in areas or have lives where we're constantly surrounded by Xians who criticize and demonize people like us, and I guess this is where the steam comes out. That's not to say there isn't some genuine discussion and reasoning happening here -- there's a lot of that too. There are all types. I think it's important to understand that context in order not to take things personally.

It's probably a lot to handle for a Christian that enters this forum, but one should not enter it expecting only polite feelings and nothing else. Yes there is anger here for several reasons, and when a christian posits their position, there are going to be rebuttals, angry ones included. If one cant handle this and takes it personally it's best not to be on these forums. This is a forum for recovery, and many are recovering from abuse and mistreatment and feelings of betrayal and bitterness. Christians on here may not realize that their comments, as innocent as they are in simply stating their own position, are inadvertantly provoking some to reaction and the feelings are going to come out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

3 hours ago, DestinyTurtle said:

1 hour ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

It's probably a lot to handle for a Christian that enters this forum, but one should not enter it expecting only polite feelings and nothing else. Yes there is anger here for several reasons, and when a christian posits their position, there are going to be rebuttals, angry ones included. If one cant handle this and takes it personally it's best not to be on these forums. This is a forum for recovery, and many are recovering from abuse and mistreatment and feelings of betrayal and bitterness. Christians on here may not realize that their comments, as innocent as they are in simply stating their own position, are inadvertantly provoking some to reaction and the feelings are going to come out. 

Exactly!  If one spends just a few moments checking out our little area of the internet, they should readily see our purpose as it is clearly stated in the Guidelines.   

These forums exist for the express purpose of encouraging those who have decided to leave religion behind. It is not an open challenge to Christians to avenge what they perceive as an offense against their beliefs.

Speaking for myself (as myself, not as a moderator),  when I go to a website new to me, I check out their guidelines/rules AND I read a lot of posts before I begin posting there.    While  Christians are allowed to post here, it seems obvious that most of our christian visitors don't bother with doing a little bit of research before blasting into our living room.  It's most irksome when they say they're not here  "to proselytize"  (yeah right!) and commence to argue with whatever we say.   So anyone who whines about not being respected here has no one but him/herself to blame.  Or as webmasterdave also says in the Guidelines:

Ex-Christian.Net strongly believes in freedom of speech. We believe everybody should have the freedom to post whatever they like on their own websites, within the boundaries of the law. Anyone who finds the moderation policies of this site too constraining is free to create another website tailored to fit his or her personal preferences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Welcome, Miriam. As has already been said here, there is quite a lot of anger and resentment towards religion from members here, including myself. I honestly try to keep my emotions in check, but it's not easy sometimes. This from a guy who left the church in 1988 lol. Most of us here have a few things in common, the most likely thing being that religion stole part of our lives...in my case, my childhood. I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

• Like 2

Welcome.  Have you been to the  "GOT QUESTIONS?" Section?  If not, I invite you to do so, and answer the questions to, "Questions for Christian Apologists."  So far, no one has answered the question(s) there.

Edit:  I posted this before reviewing her other numerous posts.  Was assuming she was more or less introducing herself.  Any bets on whether she will return?  Or if she eventually becomes one of us?  

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

Any bets on whether she will return?  Or if she eventually becomes one of us?  

Interesting question. Someo of our probing was making her uncomfortable I think. She might be back.... or brush us of as ungodly lost souls. Shake the dust off her feet from our rejection - that sort of thing.