Sign in to follow this  
Thurisaz

Sapkowski's "The Witcher" books (on which the games are based)

Well holy fuck. :P

If you know the games (or at least the 3rd game, haven't really played the others), they are very close to the novels' world. Fascinating place. For those who don't know the games, imagine a largely "historical medieval" world with the bare minimum of magic, monsters and nonhuman sentients thrown in to qualify as fantasy... and very gritty and brutal. Cool reading stuff, if you're mentally and emotionally mature. Really, do keep them away from children. Far away.

But if that's not a problem, do read them. Approaching the end of book 4 of 5 of the "main story" and I'm hooked. Soooo hooked. :)

Played Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The emotional involvement nearly brought tears to my eyes. I love it and am hoping to get to play it again before the Netflix series is released.

I read one of the books -- The Last Wish. Beautifully and wonderfully written. And since I read it after playing the game, it was all too easy to put faces and voices to Geralt, Yennifer and Dandelion as I read the words. A nearly magical experience.

And I practically laughed myself into hysterics when I found out what the last wish was. Hilarious!!!

I hate Gwent. For the life of me, I simply just can't learn to play it. But then again, learning to play card games is something that I've never been able to register in my mind. It seems like an extremely cool game but, it just does not click.

Also from the game, this ever remembered song which I found so magically entrancing -- since it is a perfect, poetic glimpse of the love between Geralt and Yennifer (And one of the wishes from the book is even mentioned within) -- that I saved a game in this spot so that I could return and listen to it anytime I want.

Beautiful song...

These scars long have yearned for your tender caress To bind our fortunes, damn what the stars own

Rend my heart open, then your love profess

A winding, weaving fate to which we both atone

You flee my dream come the morning Your scent - berries tart, lilac sweet To dream of raven locks entwisted, stormy Of violet eyes, glistening as you weep

The wolf I will follow into the storm To find your heart, its passion displaced By ire ever growing, hardening into stone

Amidst the cold to you in a heated embrace You flee my dream come the morning Your scent - berries tart, lilac sweet To dream of raven locks entwisted, stormy Of violet eyes, glistening as you weep I know not if fate would have us live as one Or if by love's blind chance we've been bound

The wish I whispered, when it all began Did it forge a love you might never have found? You flee my dream come the morning Your scent - berries tart, lilac sweet To dream of raven locks entwisted, stormy Of violet eyes, glistening as you weep.

So, yeah, brother Thuisaz, I've dabbled in the world of the Witcher. And now, after the above refresher, I feel it calling to me once again.

Hehe :)

Did you get the expansions too? Especially Blood and Wine adds an entire new layer of the mesmerizing to the game. Damn that fairy tale country of Toussaint... :)

Yes the emotional involvement is heavy. Once you find Ciri... damn I want to hug and cuddle that girl all the time, even just given what you learn about her from the game. Reading the books, the five of the main story... all the trauma and horror she went through because half the world wants her for forced political marriage and the other half wants her Elder Blood, even if they have to suck all of it out of her veins... oh and all those wonderfully hatable villains *cough* Whoreson Junior *cough*...

Through now with the five main books, working my way through all the short stories. I like to do things ass-backwards. ;)

Yes, Ciri... :wub:

'nuff said. 

And yes, I got all of the expansion packs. Absolutely awesome additions.

Ayup. Not entirely bug-free, but that's about the only bad thing that can be said about the game. And what game is 100 % free of bugs these days anyway so... :)

And I so grinned when I learned that my suspicion about Ciri's tattoo (which is shortly mentioned when she's in the sauna with the viking gals) was true...

Spoiler

In combo with that one reply option you get in that sequence "Actually I prefer women"... yup a reminder of a girl she loved during her darkest days ever. Though until the moment they say goodbye she insists it's purely physical.

Oh, that said, I think Gwent is a nice minigame. They made a standalone version of it too, but that one just didn't draw me in. One does need to find out which deck and play style suits one best (Northern Kingdoms for me, spy-heavy).
Can't handle the Skellige deck they introduced with Blood and Wine though. It's not bad per se, but just not my cup of tea. Except the Cerys card that is :fdevil:

What about the tattoo? That completely slips my mind.

21 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

What about the tattoo? That completely slips my mind.

Tattoo of a red rose close to her most private spots (hence only a topic during that sauna scene). Just mentioned in passing in the 3rd game, Ciri says it's a "reminder of someone very special who's dead now" (and the viking gal immediately starts to imagine a chivalric fiancee lost at sea, which Ciri says is "not exactly true"). You read the 5 books of the main story, you learn what that's all about.

Like I said above, poor poor Ciri, in so many ways... let's just say that this ends pretty much the worst possible way that it can without a truly ugly breakup.

Spoiler

If you really wanna know, her nickname was Mistle. Wiki doesn't detail that Ciri basically has to helplessly watch that girl getting eviscerated and die a slow painful death right in front of her eyes.

By the way, sure you laughed your ass of about the last wish, not the first one? You know... the one Geralt spoke out without even realizing that he, and not Dandelion, is calling the shots? Because I sure giggled so hysterically when I read it at work today, between tickets... :P

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.