MarieMonteiro

Do the Jews have a deeper knowledge of scriptures?

Question

Hello everybody,

The title of this question does not describe exactly what my question is about, but I could not put it any better way.

So my question is, has any of you ever been to the messianic, hebrew branch of Christianity, or even noahide or orthodox jew, studied with a great rabbi, went into deep, deep meanings of the Bible (hidden prophecies, Kabbalah, gematria etc) and still rejected everything afterward and became an agnostic/atheist? 

Thank you 

4 answers to this question

Is that you, Fungi?

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

4 hours ago, MarieMonteiro said:

Hello everybody,

The title of this question does not describe exactly what my question is about, but I could not put it any better way.

So my question is, has any of you ever been to the messianic, hebrew branch of Christianity, or even noahide or orthodox jew, studied with a great rabbi, went into deep, deep meanings of the Bible (hidden prophecies, Kabbalah, gematria etc) and still rejected everything afterward and became an agnostic/atheist? 

Thank you 

On another site there is a Jewish lady that converted from Christianity 40 or so years ago. She is very knowledgeable about Judaism. We communicate regularly and have for several years.

I would say that she would qualify as an expert in both Christianity and Judaism. I have learned a lot from her about both religions. I don’t think Jewish people know scripture better than Christians. I would say they understand it differently. Christians generally read/interpret their Bible literally. 

Jews read and interpret scripture symbolicly, and interpret the same scripture in numerous ways. In fact, as I understand it, they seek as many ways as possible to interpret scripture believing that each scripture can have many meanings.

She is an acknowledged agnostic. She has pointed out that one does not have to believe in God to be a Jew, but if a Jew believes in God they “encourage” that belief to be in the God of Abraham. 

That doesn’t really answer your question it’s just my .02 cents that I’m throwing into the pot. 

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

On another site there is a Jewish lady that converted from Christianity 40 or so years ago. She is very knowledgeable about Judaism. We communicate regularly and have for several years.

I would say that she would qualify as an expert in both Christianity and Judaism. I have learned a lot from her about both religions. I don’t think Jewish people know scripture better than Christians. I would say they understand it differently. Christians generally read/interpret their Bible literally. 

Jews read and interpret scripture symbolicly, and interpret the same scripture in numerous ways. In fact, as I understand it, they seek as many ways as possible to interpret scripture believing that each scripture can have many meanings.

She is an acknowledged agnostic. She has pointed out that one does not have to believe in God to be a Jew, but if a Jew believes in God they “encourage” that belief to be in the God of Abraham. 

That doesn’t really answer your question it’s just my .02 cents that I’m throwing into the pot. 

Thank you! That helps.

Do you know if she was an orthodox Jew (before being a Christian) or if she went to yeshiva or studied with a rabbi? 

I would be very curious to hear about someone who got out of it. I searched online but could find no testimony. The very few teachings I saw were so deep in their meanings (gematria, hidden prophecies, etc) that I was impressed. But, I am not a skeptical person, on the opposite, I am of the super gullible kind. Ugh. 

7 hours ago, MarieMonteiro said:

Thank you! That helps.

Do you know if she was an orthodox Jew (before being a Christian) or if she went to yeshiva or studied with a rabbi? 

I would be very curious to hear about someone who got out of it. I searched online but could find no testimony. The very few teachings I saw were so deep in their meanings (gematria, hidden prophecies, etc) that I was impressed. But, I am not a skeptical person, on the opposite, I am of the super gullible kind. Ugh. 

She was a Christian before converting to Judaism. I don’t know which version of Judaism she embraces, but I believe she has studied with Rabbi’s. She is very intelligent and has several college degrees. I think her knowledge of Judaism would qualify her as a scholar. 

As I understand it Judaism and Christianity are different religions, that worship the same God, but in very different ways. Jews find meaning in metaphor and symbolism, while Christians tend to think their Bible must be literally and historically accurate, except for liberal versions of Christianity. Much like Jews liberal Christians find meaning in metaphor and symbolism too.

It’s the fundamentalist Christians that believe the Bible is literally true and historically accurate, but the evidence doesn’t support their beliefs.