Karen

Ex-evangelical missionary, now podcasting the ridiculousness of it all

Recommended Posts

Hi. I'm Karen. I now live in Tennessee, surrounded by all our old favorites--Amy Grant, DC Talk guys, Russ Taff, etc. In the nineties, I was a missionary with YWAM (what a cult!) and then was in Thailand with Asian Outreach. Some of the Thais I was witnessing to had questions that made me really want to get deeper into my Bible, even though I went to a Southern Baptist college and did missionary Bible training. That's when I saw some confusing things I just couldn't deny any longer. It was about a ten-year journey (fear of hell is strong!), but I'm out.

Now a friend and I have launched a humorous podcast about leaving religion. We'd love for you to subscribe, rate us, and send in some of your own funny stories.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/deconversion-therapy/id1438032991?mt=2

 

Website: www.deconversiontherapy.com

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.



Welcome aboard! Is the podcast available on Stitcher?

 

Edit: I get a "502 Bad Gateway" error on the website.

 

Edit again: I found you on podbean. I think I may switch to that from Stitcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lerk said:

Welcome aboard! Is the podcast available on Stitcher?

 

Edit: I get a "502 Bad Gateway" error on the website.

 

Edit again: I found you on podbean. I think I may switch to that from Stitcher.

 

I’ve been using the Downcast app for podcasts for a long time. It really is excellent. And yes it does have this Deconversion Therapy podcast. And no I’m not connected to Downcast in any way, except as a satisfied user!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a listen -- good stuff, thanks for posting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened to it too. Looking forward to more podcasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to X-Xian, @Karen, and hello from an ex evangelical missionary kid! It's a difficult and messed up journey but glad to see you're on the right side :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa. That must have been...interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to find out how to reply to each person, but no luck so far. But I really appreciate all the support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Karen said:

I'm trying to find out how to reply to each person, but no luck so far. But I really appreciate all the support.

Welcome, Karen!

I love podcasts and will give yours a try. You made me laugh (old favorites).

You'll be able to quote after a certain number of posts.

OTRR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It takes 25 posts before all the options become available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to our merry band of outlaws, Karen. :D 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 3:18 PM, Karen said:

Website: www.deconversiontherapy.com

 

That address doesn't work, but here's one that does: https://deconversiontherapy.podbean.com/

 

I'll have to try to make time to take a listen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard Karen! 

 

Trying to get caught up after the holidays. I'll look into it. 

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the warm welcome and insight on why I can't quote! Ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, Karen said:

Hi. I'm Karen. I now live in Tennessee, surrounded by all our old favorites--Amy Grant, DC Talk guys, Russ Taff, etc. In the nineties, I was a missionary with YWAM (what a cult!) and then was in Thailand with Asian Outreach. Some of the Thais I was witnessing to had questions that made me really want to get deeper into my Bible, even though I went to a Southern Baptist college and did missionary Bible training. That's when I saw some confusing things I just couldn't deny any longer. It was about a ten-year journey (fear of hell is strong!), but I'm out.

Now a friend and I have launched a humorous podcast about leaving religion. We'd love for you to subscribe, rate us, and send in some of your own funny stories.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/deconversion-therapy/id1438032991?mt=2

 

Website: www.deconversiontherapy.com

 

 

Hi there, again,

 

I just listened to episode one. Great stuff. Humor is such a good form of therapy, thanks for making me laugh! My favorite bits and pieces so far: the sex booth, of course, and "No hand clapping in my church!"

I also totally relate to missing community. That's a biggie. But I guess it's also part of breaking free. Ironically, I also miss singing, although I don't miss those porn-like, ever repetitive worshit songs (see other thread) and the social control coming with church.

 

Keep it up, Karen!

 

OTRR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've listened to episode 1 and most of episode 2. Good stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, @Lerk and @offtheromanroad!  Yes, OTTR, I miss singing, too. Good point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m up to date on all the episodes. Good stuff. I love to hear about the hypocrisy that is common in all versions of Christianity. Hypocrisy and legalism seem to go hand in hand. And the fundamentalist remedy for that is to be even more legalistic. Go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all insane, isn't it? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<Blush>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Baptist are rather benign compared to the Church of Christ and Pentecostals. The c of C and Pentecostals is where you find the seriously batshit crazy beliefs and traditions. I know because I was an Elder in the c of C. Being a member of those groups takes some serious professional grade brainwashing. :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geezer said:

The Baptist are rather benign compared to the Church of Christ and Pentecostals. The c of C and Pentecostals is where you find the seriously batshit crazy beliefs and traditions. I know because I was an Elder in the c of C. Being a member of those groups takes some serious professional grade brainwashing. :eek:

I now almost nothing about CoC. Do you have any advice on where to learn more about it? Other than Wikipedia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, offtheromanroad said:

I now almost nothing about CoC. Do you have any advice on where to learn more about it? Other than Wikipedia?

 

Basically the c of C worships the Bible. They, of course, would deny that but they do. They follow the Bible as literally as humanly possible. They interpret examples found in the NT as commands, thus communion must be observed every Sunday morning because that is the first day of the week as noted in the NT. 

 

There basically must be a scriptural reference for everything the c of C does. “Is that scriptural?” Is a common question for anything and every thing the c of C does. Marriage Divorce & Remarriage is an issue in the c of C. Divorce is sin unless it is for a scriptural reason and adultery is the only scriptural reason in the Bible. 

 

Unscripturally divorced people can never remarry and must remain celibate the rest of their lives or be doomed to Hell for eternity. Unscripturally divorced people would not be accepted as members in the c of C. 

 

The c of C does not allow instrumental music in their buildings/worship service because there is no scripture in the N T that authorizes it.

 

They operate by something referred to as CENI. That means Biblical Commands, Examples, and Necessary Inference. NI basically means it’s up to the Elders (those recognized as leaders of the congregation) to determine if something is okay or not when the Bible doesn’t specifically address the issue. Things like even having a church building, parking lots, air conditioning and heat, etc.

 

All congregations are autonomous, there is no central authority. It is not uncommon for one congregation to disfellowship another congregation for a scriptural reason. Such things as having a kitchen and fellowship hall in the building are considered scriptural issues by some congregations, but not others. It is common for one congregation to disfellowship another congregation for issues like this.

 

Members are disfellowshipped for scriptural reasons. Questioning the doctrine or teaching can get a person disfellowshiped. The c of C is extremely legalistic and they believe water baptism is how a person is saved Acts 2: 38. The concept of grace is not something that the c of C promotes. The c of C is a works based religion. They teach salvation can be lost when a person sins and they will remain lost until they repent and are restored to the Church. 

 

The c of C is all about fear and punishment. And they think they are headed for extinction because they are not legalistic enough. Oh yeah, they believe they are the only restored church from AD33 and thus the only true Christians on earth. They believe denomination churches are man made and their members are destined for hell because they aren’t real Christians.

 

:yelrotflmao:

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now