Burnedout

Is the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia?

Is the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia?

Ethiopia throbs with religious fervor. On Sundays in Lalibela, Aksum and Gondar, I was alone in thousand-strong crowds of monks and nuns, hermits and business owners, energetic children and bent-double grandmothers. They wrapped themselves in white or burnt orange and poured into the churches that dot the landscape.

It is a society with a more profound spirituality than anywhere else I have been to—one where worship is woven into nearly every aspect of life. And during my trip, it became clear that this veneration of the church was born from a belief that Ethiopia has been chosen by God as the final resting place of the Ark of the Covenant. [Snipped]

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-the-ark-of-the-covenant-in-ethiopia

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

Short answer: No.

But I'll go into more detail here: NO.

See?  One has all caps.

Until they let people examine their supposed ark there is no way to know what they really have.  There's no reason to assume, just based on their word, that they have anything at all.  Even then I can't think of how you could actually prove an item, such as this that has lost all provenance, is a singular ark.  I don't know what the tests would be.  Maybe if you die if you touch it?  That's about it.  All other tests such as what it looks like and such are open to interpretation (and influenced by things like Raiders) and since we don't have a firm date for when it was made, since the bible isn't clear, dating it accurately would be difficult at best (we could get a date but would that date be the right date given the narrative...hopefully the dates line up with the most popular sets of dates that people believe the narrative takes place otherwise it's just another out of place item for biblical archaeology).

mwc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, since the Exodus didn't happen, there likely is no ark. Or if there was one, it would have been made in the time of Solomon who had a bit of money (if indeed he was real). There is a lot of actual history from that time that was either destroyed or not recorded by other nations. Assuming that the narrative in the Bible is true is never a good approach, just a starting point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mwc said:

Short answer: No.

But I'll go into more detail here: NO.

See?  One has all caps.

Until they let people examine their supposed ark there is no way to know what they really have.  There's no reason to assume, just based on their word, that they have anything at all.  Even then I can't think of how you could actually prove an item, such as this that has lost all provenance, is a singular ark.  I don't know what the tests would be.  Maybe if you die if you touch it?  That's about it.  All other tests such as what it looks like and such are open to interpretation (and influenced by things like Raiders) and since we don't have a firm date for when it was made, since the bible isn't clear, dating it accurately would be difficult at best (we could get a date but would that date be the right date given the narrative...hopefully the dates line up with the most popular sets of dates that people believe the narrative takes place otherwise it's just another out of place item for biblical archaeology).

mwc

Ethiopia has their top monks working on it.

Who? You might ask.

Top. Monks.

First, demonstrate that an Ark actually exists. Then we can look for it, m'kay?

1 hour ago, florduh said:

First, demonstrate that an Ark actually exists. Then we can look for it, m'kay?

How do we demonstrate it exists without first looking for it? You're a sly one, sir. :)

2 minutes ago, midniterider said:

How do we demonstrate it exists without first looking for it? You're a sly one, sir. :)

Perhaps I should have said, "ever existed." In my view we have just as much reason to search for Arthur's sword or the golden plates of the Mormons.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, midniterider said:

We already know that it exists and that there's no reason to look for it any further. That's because it's sitting in some huge government warehouse locked in a crate right now. Sheesh! You guys make things so difficult with your endless speculation and conspiracy theories.

15 minutes ago, florduh said:

Perhaps I should have said, "ever existed." In my view we have just as much reason to search for Arthur's sword or the golden plates of the Mormons.

Yes, the Mormon plates conveniently appeared and disappeared, didn't they. :)

For some reason I am reminded of this: Invisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. ... Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.

:)

46 minutes ago, Fweethawt said:

We already know that it exists and that there's no reason to look for it any further. That's because it's sitting in some huge government warehouse locked in a crate right now. Sheesh! You guys make things so difficult with your endless speculation and conspiracy theories.

In a crate marked Top Secret. :)

Someone should ask Harrison Ford where that warehouse is lol. :D

• Haha 1

Why spoil it for the nation?  They need SOME kind of way to bring in hard currency.  They are not a wealthy nation and it is an honest scam. 😎