Sign in to follow this  
Burnedout

Holy cow! One-eyed calf is worshipped as a god in India

Holy cow! One-eyed calf is worshipped as a god in India

The calf has cyclopia, a rare congenital disorder that occurs in both humans and animals.

It develops in the womb when the left and right hemispheres of the brain do not separate as they are meant to early on in pregnancy.[Snipped]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6564981/Holy-cow-One-eyed-calf-worshipped-god-India.html

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

Calling Bhim, calling Bhim...

• Like 1

People worship any fucking thing and call it a god.  Whether it's a one eyed cow or the great unknown.  Whatever.

mwc

Thanks @Joshpantera and @midniterider for calling my attention to this.

I'm often amazed at the peculiar behavior of rural Hindus in India, as well as the urban ones. It's impossible to pass through the streets of my "hometown" of Chennai without seeing various improvised temples, at least one of which (that I beheld with my own eyes, anyway) is literally dedicated to a Bollywood film star. In rural India, however, people worship cows to the extent that they extract feces and urine from the animals for use in ritual worship. Would that I could liken this to rural American snake handling. Unfortunately, the use of cow dung is specifically prescribed in the scrolls of Manu, and is therefore a legitimate expression of my ancient and noble tradition. I have no idea if this story about the cyclopic cow is "fake news," but is it really any more absurd than the extraction of bovine excrement for ritual purposes?

Hence why I adopt the dual labels of Hindu and atheist, I suppose...

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 12:33 PM, mwc said:

People worship any fucking thing and call it a god.  Whether it's a one eyed cow or the great unknown.  Whatever.

mwc

Back when I was an evangelical I harbored similar exasperation towards my fellow Indians. Fools who would debase themselves by worshiping rocks and trees instead of the God of Israel, creator of the universe and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Now, having returned to Hinduism, I am far more tolerant of such idiocy. Better to worship everything than to worship one thing and believe that those who worship differently are doomed to eternal conscious torment. That said, I will freely grant that it is idiocy.

9 minutes ago, Bhim said:

Bam!!!!

There it is!!!!

This could be a thing. First my friend Robert Tulip comes out as christian atheist. Now, Bhim as hindu atheist. What about muslim atheist's? Why not? Buddhist atheists, taoist atheists, Native American atheists. Spiritual atheists have already long since been a thing. 

That could be how atheism makes a clean sweep of the world and infiltrates every corner. Go team!!!!

@ThereAndBackAgain

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bhim said:

Back when I was an evangelical I harbored similar exasperation towards my fellow Indians. Fools who would debase themselves by worshiping rocks and trees instead of the God of Israel, creator of the universe and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Now, having returned to Hinduism, I am far more tolerant of such idiocy. Better to worship everything than to worship one thing and believe that those who worship differently are doomed to eternal conscious torment. That said, I will freely grant that it is idiocy.

I think you're putting a few words in my mouth considering what I actually wrote.

mwc

On 1/10/2019 at 11:43 PM, Bhim said:

Thanks @Joshpantera and @midniterider for calling my attention to this.

I'm often amazed at the peculiar behavior of rural Hindus in India, as well as the urban ones. It's impossible to pass through the streets of my "hometown" of Chennai without seeing various improvised temples, at least one of which (that I beheld with my own eyes, anyway) is literally dedicated to a Bollywood film star. In rural India, however, people worship cows to the extent that they extract feces and urine from the animals for use in ritual worship. Would that I could liken this to rural American snake handling. Unfortunately, the use of cow dung is specifically prescribed in the scrolls of Manu, and is therefore a legitimate expression of my ancient and noble tradition. I have no idea if this story about the cyclopic cow is "fake news," but is it really any more absurd than the extraction of bovine excrement for ritual purposes?

Are you suggesting that rural Hindus are bullshitters?  😎

On 1/18/2019 at 12:07 PM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Are you suggesting that rural Hindus are bullshitters?  😎

I find it astonishing that I was sitting on this goldmine and didn't even see it!

• Haha 2