Goodbye Jesus

I'm Still Alive

R. S. Martin

I see there's still a lot of old-timers posting. Just popping in to say I'm now posting under the name Sarah Bowman on Quora, which is basically an information site formatted in Question and Answer style. More on this below.

I looked at my profile here and I see I posted my age as forty. Must have been a while ago. I also said I was trying to find my way in "the world" after coming out of the horse and buggy community. I feel like I have found my way by now. ExChristian was a big part of that and I'd like to acknowledge that for all the newer folk here who don't know me. I was a basket case and a half when I arrived. Like good humans do, the exChristians took me in and nursed me back to health. It took years and years, a lot of patience on the part of staff and moderators, and hard work for everyone. But here I am today, feeling like a new person, forever indebted to these forums. I recommend them to everyone I meet that seems in need of this kind of support.

Back to what I'm doing on Quora. Here are the main topics I write in: 

• Alzheimer's Disease 
  • Atheists
  • Belief and Beliefs
  • Bible
  • Christian Theology and Philosophy
  • Creative Writing
  • Culture (social science)
  • Dogs (pets)
  • Family Relationships and Dynamics
  • Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Personality [Myers-Briggs Personality Type]
  • Using Quora [See also my blog on the topic, TIPS.]

You may have to sign in to read but there's no strings attached that I'm aware of. 

• Like 3

Here's the link to my profile and posts. https://www.quora.com/profile/Sarah-Bowman-28 

Wasn't thinking straight when writing the post. Should have included it there. Feel free to visit. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

LONG TIME NO SEE/READ!  Hope all is well with you.  Don't make yourself a stranger! :)

I'm very well, thank you. I think that's why I no longer get around to posting here. Come on over to Quora. They want writers who have lots of life experience and insight on every topic under the sun--from parenting to healthcare to computers to gaming to education to American presidents to... Anyway, professors post there, doctors, lawyers. So do a lot of nut cases but Quora enforces strict Be Respectful Be Nice policies that get your posts collapsed if you're not civil. That keeps the nut cases under control.

Different kind of moderation, though. Everyone is a mod, and can report anything, then Quora decides whether or not to take action. The Quora staff sits in California, maybe in Silicone Valley, improving the site. I strongly suspect the "moderator" who handles reports is a machine, AI. Based on what I've read about Quora, it's a tech startup that caters to big business. Some people here might know what ad impressions are. Somehow or other, when businesses post ads on the Quora site, these ads interact with the questions people post. But only a certain kind of question. These interactions are called ad impressions and earn money for the Quora company. 

Quora's Advertisement to Businesses:

People visit Quora every day to ask questions and read insightful answers. Advertise on Quora to reach millions of people who are already looking for answers to questions that relate to your business or industry.

Long story short, it's not a discussion forum but an information site. I like the academic atmosphere and enjoy the teaching aspect of answering questions with educational information. I learn a lot via the online research I do for some of the answers. Roman Empire, history, science, and many other topics are things I've learned about. There are a couple professors I follow. I think you'd enjoy reading some of the answers, too. 

You have been missed. So glad to find out you’ve finished your deconversion journey and that you’re happy and healthy. Thanks for the update. I hope you will still drop by occasionally. 

• Thanks 1

It's incredibly encouraging that this website was really helpful for you in your deconversion process! Thank you for sharing your story with us newer folk :)

• Like 1