Goodbye Jesus

Given your options

Christforums

9 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

AWw...... he's already gone? I was gonna reply. guess i missed the boat on that one.

Not exactly. Lurking is more like it.

• Super Moderator
13 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

Not exactly. Lurking is more like it.

He might still be trying to get to the center of that lollipop.

• Haha 4

Well just in case he is still watching replies. I’ll give him my answer to his question. Even though the question isn’t really worded right according to our perspective. 

Ok william in our minds we have not rejected God because from our understanding the Christian God does not exist. Although most of us at one point in time Did believe he existed. So first I’m going to reword your two part question so I can answer it to the best of my ability.

”What caused me to lose faith in the Christian God? And why has that made me unable to support Christianity and the agendas that go along there with?” 

Research made me lose faith in the Christian God. Especially when I was trying to research information to prove points in the Bible. When faced with years of archeology, scientific research, obvious biblical contradictions, and biblical research, the Bible just fails on so many points. 

The first thing I did was try to find proof for the Exodus. To my dismay after over a century of trying to use the Bible as a guide for archeological research there was no proof that an exodus even happened. Archeologists gave up on using the Bible as a guide for accurate research. (Why? Because the biblical account is horribly inaccurate) They literally tried to use it as a guide and it failed. Building on that are issues that they did find. One being that Jericho didn’t even exist at the time and if it did certainly had not reached the point that it had built the wall around it. Even Jewish scholars that I read trying to make an apology for the issues saying that it was most likely a smaller group that traveled from Egypt and not the 2 million plus men and women as well as livestock that the Bible claims.

I’m sorry William but that excuse doesn’t work for me. If the Bible says it was 2 million people then it should be 2 million people. If the Bible said Jericho had a wall it should have had a wall. If the Bible says that the Israelites came into Canaan afterward and drove the inhabitants out then that should be true.

But what they have found is that evidence supports a gradual move Of semantic canaanites from the south to the north.  By this time I was deconverting and was here at ExC. finding more things to look at. Not only was the Pentateuch not written by Moses it was written by 4 different authors over a few hundred years. All of them making their own changes to the previous text. I found out that even the gospels weren’t written until the apostles themselves would have been dead. On the same train of study I read Bart Ehrmans Forgeries and counter forgeries. It turns out that half of the Pauline epistles are forgeries. Which accounts for a lot of the discrepancies. 

William I’m sure you are familiar Jesus’ parable about the house that was built on the sand? My whole Christian life the word of God was supposed to be the rock I was building my spiritual house on. If anything should stand the test of time and the scrutiny of the nonbeliever, Gods word should have.

A small tribe of Indians 1000 years ago in America couldn’t dig a hole to use the bathroom in without us being able to find it. Even without a text guiding us to where they would have dug that hole. But the BIBLE which is supposed to be the inerrant  word of an omnipotent and omniscient God can’t? No sir that doesn’t work for me. At that point there was only one conclusion I could come to. The Christian God does not exist and the Bible is a work of fiction. My house that I had spent a decade building fell. And great was the fall of it. I had done what the Bible said. Built it on the rock (so I thought) but it turned out to be no more than sand after all. 

So that is a very long answer for the first part of your horribly worded question. The second part is easy. If I know that the Bible is fiction, Christianity in general is false, and those that follow the teachings are living a lie. How can I support that lifestyle? I do to an extent with my wife because she is still a believer. But I am not going to let the Bible dictate my decisions. Our lives should be dictated by sound logical reasoning that would provide the best quality of life for us and our families. The Bible doesn’t promote sound and logical reasoning whatsoever. I choose to live in the truth not to live in a lie. And living in Christ most certainly is living a LIE. 

Best Regards,

Dark Bishop

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Which god? As for why I reject the abrahamic “god” its a evil vile concept of a god. Its followers are horrible. Why would I follow that monster?

On 1/16/2019 at 1:41 PM, Christforums said:

No problem.

I withdraw from the thread and the board.

I can definitely relate to communities of like mindedness.

Enjoy,

William

So like a typical xtian, you wimp out. 

On 1/17/2019 at 4:45 AM, Christforums said:

Hello,

Just dropping a question that I think may lead to some interesting dialogue. Based on my introduction and the responses received I am under the impression that a lot of people think I came to this board with clear intent armed with an argument etc. Well, I came upon this website and began skimming through various threads and had an idea. Eh, that idea hasn't been received well so I'd like to pose a simple question in order to learn about others here. To note, this is a first for me, I actually have never joined a board outspokenly against Christianity. 

Now I'm sure some answers to my question may be emotionally charged, some answers may be derived from personal experience through relationships, others through propositional knowledge learned from books etc. I'm not looking for any particular way of answering but would like to hear from anyone taking the time to address the question.

Here's my 2 part question, Why is your only option to reject God? And, why has the option been the basis or foundation of your position against God?

Enjoy,

William

I reject the false idea that Christianity sold me about god and leave myself open to find the answers wherever they may lead. I don't wish there to be a God, because they're are destructive to humanities progress and learning. I would hope there is something greater than our primitive concepts of God. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2019 at 2:43 PM, Aries256 said:

So like a typical xtian, you wimp out. 

Shit, I just posted. I came to late, hmm, it's always the way. 

• Haha 1

Though I would add this to the absurdity of the exodus story.  Recently, years after my deconverting, I read where someone calculated the length of the line of 2 million people marching out of Egypt.  If they matched 10 abreast,  with their belongings, the line would be likely be 200 miles long.  By the time the front of the line reached destination, the end of the line would still be in Egypt.

Were they pulling carts with their belongings?  We're they driving livestock?  How far apart would they be marching?  If you believe the Bible to be the absolute truth, with no mistakes, take the time to figure this up and see what you find.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2019 at 4:45 AM, Christforums said:

Hello,

Just dropping a question that I think may lead to some interesting dialogue. Based on my introduction and the responses received I am under the impression that a lot of people think I came to this board with clear intent armed with an argument etc. Well, I came upon this website and began skimming through various threads and had an idea. Eh, that idea hasn't been received well so I'd like to pose a simple question in order to learn about others here. To note, this is a first for me, I actually have never joined a board outspokenly against Christianity. 

Now I'm sure some answers to my question may be emotionally charged, some answers may be derived from personal experience through relationships, others through propositional knowledge learned from books etc. I'm not looking for any particular way of answering but would like to hear from anyone taking the time to address the question.

Here's my 2 part question, Why is your only option to reject God? And, why has the option been the basis or foundation of your position against God?

Enjoy,

William

No one can reject a God who makes itself absolutely evident. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

Though I would add this to the absurdity of the exodus story.  Recently, years after my deconverting, I read where someone calculated the length of the line of 2 million people marching out of Egypt.  If they matched 10 abreast,  with their belongings, the line would be likely be 200 miles long.  By the time the front of the line reached destination, the end of the line would still be in Egypt.

Were they pulling carts with their belongings?  We're they driving livestock?  How far apart would they be marching?  If you believe the Bible to be the absolute truth, with no mistakes, take the time to figure this up and see what you find.

Like Joshua's extra day. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

Like Joshua's extra day. 

And the walls of Jerico fell down--------before the city was established??

• Thanks 2

On 2/22/2019 at 10:54 PM, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

Like Joshua's extra day. 

Oh please don't tell me that your interpretation of the scripture  of Joshua 10:13?  If it is 

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, Justus said:

Oh please don't tell me that your interpretation of the scripture  of Joshua 10:13?  If it is 

"I'll always question your interpretation; but I'll never provide my own."  ~Justus

3 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

"I'll always question your interpretation; but I'll never provide my own."  ~Justus

Say what?  That is really a disingenuous comment since I have expressed my interpretation of the scripture that was being discussed from my first post on this site. 

Since I don't know specifically what scripture the poster was referring unto, I don't presume that it was and in such I simply asked if it was based on Joshua 10:13 to prompt a discussion. Of course I am sure that you know who Jasher was right?   And of course you must have read his book, right?  So if you answered 'no' to either of those questions then what then what makes you think that you even have a clue what is written in the book?   

If you don't understand what I am saying then read the scripture for yourself:

And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher?  Josh 10:13

If you don't know who Jasher is, then how would you know what book he wrote?  And if you don't what book he wrote then how would  know what is written in it?  

So how hard is it to answer the question;  Is not this written in the book of Jasher?  

I don't know how you would answer the question if you  had read the book of Jasher but do you really have to think about your answer if you haven't read the book of Jasher?

10 hours ago, Justus said:

I'm not saying anything. What am I saying? WTF is going on.

23 hours ago, Justus said:

Say what?  That is really a disingenuous comment since I have expressed my interpretation of the scripture that was being discussed from my first post on this site. 

Since I don't know specifically what scripture the poster was referring unto, I don't presume that it was and in such I simply asked if it was based on Joshua 10:13 to prompt a discussion. Of course I am sure that you know who Jasher was right?   And of course you must have read his book, right?  So if you answered 'no' to either of those questions then what then what makes you think that you even have a clue what is written in the book?   

If you don't understand what I am saying then read the scripture for yourself:

And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher?  Josh 10:13

If you don't know who Jasher is, then how would you know what book he wrote?  And if you don't what book he wrote then how would  know what is written in it?  

So how hard is it to answer the question;  Is not this written in the book of Jasher?  

I don't know how you would answer the question if you  had read the book of Jasher but do you really have to think about your answer if you haven't read the book of Jasher?

Are you talking about the 'real' book of Jasher that nobody really has a copy of or the pseudo-Jasher from the 1800s?

On 3/2/2019 at 5:13 PM, midniterider said:

Are you talking about the 'real' book of Jasher that nobody really has a copy of or the pseudo-Jasher from the 1800s?

Whatever book of Jasher you want to use,  "so the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day."

The sun stands in the same spot in the center of the solar system every day or for at least 23 hours and 56 minutes..  

On 2/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

No one can reject a God who makes itself absolutely evident. 

And what about Satan and his minions?

Did ya'll miss me?

Just curious as to why I am listed as a "Fundamentalist", don't ya'll have any theological discernment whatsoever? I pretty much the furthest thing from a Fundamentalist.

7 minutes ago, Christforums said:

Just curious as to why I am listed as a "Fundamentalist", don't ya'll have any theological discernment whatsoever? I pretty much the furthest thing from a Fundamentalist.

What's your idea of what a fundamentalist is?

3 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

What's your idea of what a fundamentalist is?

Fundamentalism arose in the Baptist church which was to combat post modernism or liberal theology. Fundamentalism adheres to a "literalistic" approach to the Scripture, a wooden or inflexible method and principle to interpretation. In other words, word for word, and I mean strictly word for word. Fundamentalist, in general by my observation, go by what Scripture "says", rather than "means".  Fundamentalism took root during the Liberal Jimmy Carter era, a President which sided for Post modernism.

Fundamentalist are in contrast to liberalism as mentioned which rejects historical and grammatical context and makes any document "living". For example, Liberalism will reject and destroy any source document whether the Constitution or Scripture, it can be twisted to provide application in any given instance. Ironically, Liberalism and post modernism were mostly developed by Nazi Germany to combat religion and absolutes.

Constitutional wise, I'd hate to stand before a liberal judge. I'd expect that things would be taken in a broad context rather than narrow conservative context (historical and grammatical).

I'm always fascinated by the myriad ways people have found to interpret the intellectual history of terms like "postmodernism" and "liberalism" and so on. It's very postmodern ;)

Sounds like we should re-under-title our friend here as a Conservative Theologian.

1 minute ago, wellnamed said:

I'm always fascinated by the myriad ways people have found to interpret the intellectual history of terms like "postmodernism" and "liberalism" and so on. It's very postmodern ;)

Sounds like we should re-under-title our friend here as a Conservative Theologian.

If I may "Reformed Christian" would most accurately cover my theology.

Post modernism, what is true for your is not true for me. Want to know how to teach a post modernist? Steal his wallet.

Enjoy,

William

I think it's traditional that you should not entirely approve of your own undertitle, if other people give it to you. It's a good tradition. I thought about "Reformed" but rejected it for that reason :P

55 minutes ago, Christforums said:

Fundamentalism arose in the Baptist church which was to combat post modernism or liberal theology. Fundamentalism adheres to a "literalistic" approach to the Scripture, a wooden or inflexible method and principle to interpretation. In other words, word for word, and I mean strictly word for word. Fundamentalist, in general by my observation, go by what Scripture "says", rather than "means".  Fundamentalism took root during the Liberal Jimmy Carter era, a President which sided for Post modernism.

Fundamentalist are in contrast to liberalism as mentioned which rejects historical and grammatical context and makes any document "living". For example, Liberalism will reject and destroy any source document whether the Constitution or Scripture, it can be twisted to provide application in any given instance. Ironically, Liberalism and post modernism were mostly developed by Nazi Germany to combat religion and absolutes.

Constitutional wise, I'd hate to stand before a liberal judge. I'd expect that things would be taken in a broad context rather than narrow conservative context (historical and grammatical).

Right that broadly aligns with my understanding.

I see why you are asking - it seems @webmdave has updated the Christian icon from Authentic Christian - maybe Christians are labelled by theology? Probably better just to call them Christians. What flavour doesn't matter until we start getting into details.