MOHO

Pushing Back

Recommended Posts

We should probably not take an in-your-face response to xtians or other religious folks and bombard them with our logic, reason, and beliefs - unless they truly ask for it. If a more aggressive approach is your thing have at it but that just makes us appear obnoxious as a whole. 

 

That Said, and with the understanding that most of you are aware of my situation with Mrs. MOHO being a devout, in your face, "MY flavor of xianity is the only TRUE version and if you don't adhere to it then you are a piece of crap " type of xtian, I am of the mindset that we do not have to simply sit idly and face the daily attempts of indoctrination stoically. 

 

Periodically, and with only slight regularity, my spouse will send out emails that are frequently links to fundy sights but sometimes rewrites of scripture that can only be described as snippets from the Book of Renee. 

 

This time it was one of those links that I never visit and, in fact, I never even read the book snippets that she writes. I delete the emails instantly when I realize what they are...and that's it.

 

NOT THIS TIME GODDAMIT!

 

Here's the link...

Link: https://www.gotquestions.org/Spirit-walk.html?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=email_this&utm_source=email

 

...and here's my response...

 

"What it really means is self indoctrination.

Once you come to the understanding that the Bible is not the word of any particular deity but a collection of literary works the "magic" of attempting to adhere to the nonsense disappears.  You can then begin to live a life free of the fear and mind control imposed by the cult. "
 
She knows I'm an atheist and our relationship is one of mutual tolerance so I don't expect any fallout - with the exception of a brief lecture when I return this evening from working my fingers to the bone in order to support her in the manner in which she dictates. However if my recent campaign to push back in the face of the fundy speak conflagurates into a battle of the divorce attorneys then so be it. We cannot cowtow to these abusive shit-heads and knucle under and allow them to make us sick. 
 
 
 
 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...



4 hours ago, MOHO said:

We cannot cowtow to these abusive shit-heads and knucle under and allow them to make us sick. 

Amen. Keep the faith.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For sure and a beautiful thing is that your response is so much shorter and clearer than the stuff in that link that goes on and on. Quite curious as to what Renee looks like though.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, that was Thursday.  This is Sunday.  Was war declared?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ellinas said:

So, that was Thursday.  This is Sunday.  Was war declared?

No war.

 

We did have one more exchange were she reasserted her position in the usual manor - void of logic/reason/research and containing the war weary "Because it is!"

 

I responded by stating that I am expressing myself largely because I love her and don't want to see her suffer due to the mind control and unrelenting fear of hell. We left it there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 8:20 PM, DanForsman said:

For sure and a beautiful thing is that your response is so much shorter and clearer than the stuff in that link that goes on and on. Quite curious as to what Renee looks like though.

 

@DanForsman

Dan,

 

My wife is quite attractive and, at 67, still turns heads. When I married here she was 46 and I 36, at which time, her entrance into many establishments resulted in instant whiplash for many a lad straining to get a good look. 

 

As for the response to the link I have found brief and to the point to be the most efficient response to those who really would rather not listen. Of course this approach is best served up with ample preparedness in the event one is asked for reference and/or reasons for my beliefs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 2:38 PM, MOHO said:

We should probably not take an in-your-face response to xtians or other religious folks and bombard them with our logic, reason, and beliefs - unless they truly ask for it. If a more aggressive approach is your thing have at it but that just makes us appear obnoxious as a whole. 

I dunno, I really don't. I will heed this advice for strangers in general when it's a mild statement and brief on their part. But the way I see it, is when someone opens their mouth and talks about their personal beliefs (something which I believe we should keep to ourselves on the topic of religion), then I say it's a fair game to talk about mine. I cannot overstate how tired I am of the deference to religion and "oh they're religious so they're good people" mentality. I fight back against this. If you want to tell me about Christ you're also asking to hear why Christ likely didn't exist. If you want to talk about how Easter is important you'll hear about why it isn't important to me. I'm tired of not saying anything. I said nothing about my xtian fundie beliefs my entire life among regular society and ultimately that harmed me. Just not willing to continue with the pattern. The thing that gets to me the most is when Christians make statements that imply that everyone else present agrees with them. There's only one situation where I put up with this because silence is the best option, and that is with family. Anyone else, and I'm just so done with keeping my mouth shut. 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I dunno, I really don't. I will heed this advice for strangers in general when it's a mild statement and brief on their part. But the way I see it, is when someone opens their mouth and talks about their personal beliefs (something which I believe we should keep to ourselves on the topic of religion), then I say it's a fair game to talk about mine. I cannot overstate how tired I am of the deference to religion and "oh they're religious so they're good people" mentality. I fight back against this. If you want to tell me about Christ you're also asking to hear why Christ likely didn't exist. If you want to talk about how Easter is important you'll hear about why it isn't important to me. I'm tired of not saying anything. I said nothing about my xtian fundie beliefs my entire life among regular society and ultimately that harmed me. Just not willing to continue with the pattern. The thing that gets to me the most is when Christians make statements that imply that everyone else present agrees with them. There's only one situation where I put up with this because silence is the best option, and that is with family. Anyone else, and I'm just so done with keeping my mouth shut. 

 

 

 

 

I'm inclined to go along with your approach, @TruthSeeker. Anytime someone else starts it - it's GAME ON!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MOHO said:

 

@DanForsman

Dan,

 

My wife is quite attractive and, at 67, still turns heads. When I married here she was 46 and I 36, at which time, her entrance into many establishments resulted in instant whiplash for many a lad straining to get a good look. 

 

As for the response to the link I have found brief and to the point to be the most efficient response to those who really would rather not listen. Of course this approach is best served up with ample preparedness in the event one is asked for reference and/or reasons for my beliefs. 

Thanks MOHO. i thought this was the case with Mrs. MOHO but it's good to be able to put that into the confirmed pile. The especially pretty wife just fits so nicely with your past posts and your description of your situation in general. I do hope the tension settles down between the Mrs. and yourself. It's great to be posting on this site with you and I always look forward to hearing what you have to say.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I fight back against this. If you want to tell me about Christ you're also asking to hear why Christ likely didn't exist. If you want to talk about how Easter is important you'll hear about why it isn't important to me. I'm tired of not saying anything.

 

I sometimes respond back in this type of manner but it's typically for cathartic reasons. Just to let out some steam. But I recall how I was deconverted. Probably when I preached the loudest and hardest were the moments when I was most trying to drown out the voices of doubt and confusion. And the one who ultimately deconverted me spoke in the same quiet and non-threatening manner as my own voices of doubt. Non-threatening. Non-confrontational. I said boldly that I was a Christian and that god has a plan for this world. He simply replied, "I have questions."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I typically leave everyone to their own devices, whichever cult they choose to associate with. As long as they don't preach at me...because they may have some tough questions to answer if they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you MOHO! I feel your pain all to well. We walk in similar shoes but I think we have discussed that before. Unfortunately when I deconverted my wife went one way and I went the other spiritually. My wife seems to have a less aggressive stance than your wife however. And I actually do understand where my wife is coming from. I miss this group so much sometimes. But when I frequent this site she starts taking notice and asking what I'm doing. I usually reply honestly but it makes our troubles come at a greater frequency. I usually try to avoid the subject completely as long as I can. But sometimes I do have to push back like you had to. I think I'm going to start trying to post from work again. I really do need the companionship of other ex-Christians even if it is only online.

 

DB

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Good for you MOHO! I feel your pain all to well. We walk in similar shoes but I think we have discussed that before. Unfortunately when I deconverted my wife went one way and I went the other spiritually. My wife seems to have a less aggressive stance than your wife however. And I actually do understand where my wife is coming from. I miss this group so much sometimes. But when I frequent this site she starts taking notice and asking what I'm doing. I usually reply honestly but it makes our troubles come at a greater frequency. I usually try to avoid the subject completely as long as I can. But sometimes I do have to push back like you had to. I think I'm going to start trying to post from work again. I really do need the companionship of other ex-Christians even if it is only online.

 

DB

 

Or if ya got a smartphone, tablet, kindle, etc etc, that works too. Man, I salute you and Moho and the others that have to deal with a religious wife. You got some fortitude to deal with that. Not sure I could.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now