Goodbye Jesus

Finding Hope

Bug

14 minutes ago, disillusioned said:

Aren't we done yet? This is getting stale.

Weevil see. It's not bugging me.

24 minutes ago, ThereAndBackAgain said:

I’m not a praying man ‘tis true, but I’m thankful you’re here. 

Gold!

31 minutes ago, disillusioned said:

Seriously, we mosquito-ver this.

Engaging in a bit of nit-picking are we?

• Super Moderator
53 minutes ago, disillusioned said:

Seriously, we mosquito-ver this.

That kind of attitude just won't fly.

On 1/21/2019 at 9:40 AM, Bug said:
Hello everyone. I've been lurking the site for a couple of months as a guest and finally decided it is time to join.  I will give a full testimonial at some point in the near future, but for now I feel I should just introduce myself.

I'm a 27 year old woman from Texas, trying desperately to find my way in this world after being Pentecostal up until the last few months of my life. I guess it would be more accurate to say that I was calling myself Pentecostal, as my deconversion has actually been a very gradual process that has just been sped up immensely in recent months. My Granny, who was the light of my life and had a huge hand in raising (and, unfortunately, indoctrinating) me passed away in August of 2018. It feels as though I went from crying at her funeral and being certain that she was in heaven to believing heaven doesn't exist at all overnight. Needless to say, this has been a great and devastating challenge to accept.

I tried to call myself Agnostic for a minute, but I'm becoming less afraid to say the word Atheist and I know it suites me better. I hope that someday I will be able to say that loud and proud in public, no longer afraid of eternal damnation and the judgement of others. I hope that I can make friends who understand where I'm coming from and won't disown me overnight for what they call sins.  I hope that I can help others like myself feel better when they're struggling. So far my journey is difficult, but full of hope... Which, ironically, is more than I ever had as a Christian. 

While my past is full of pain, things really are looking up. I managed to escape the small. toxic town I was raised in and I now live my with my very loving and Atheist (I know, scandalous 😋) partner of 3 years in Pennsylvania. I've been reading Dawkins and Hitchens and listening to Sam Harris and Bart Ehrman, as well as scouring these forums and listening to various testimonies on YouTube for months because I'm finally free to do so. It has brought a great sense of relief and I'm excited to meet others who have also felt that weight lifted from their shoulders!

Thanks for listening and I look forward to talking with you!

This is why I love this site. Thank you for sharing this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Engaging in a bit of nit-picking are we?

I noseeum? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

I noseeum

Holy shit, I didn't even know noseeum's were a thing:

Biting midges, or “no-see-ums,” are winged insects from the Ceratopogonidae family, which includes over 4,000 species. They are tiny gnat-like insects (only 1-3 mm long) and, like black flies, inflict painful bites. ... Biting midges are sometimes incorrectly referred to as “sand flies

Weevil been surprised before but this bug takes the cake, ant no doubt about it.

16 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Holy shit, I didn't even know noseeum's were a thing:

Biting midges, or “no-see-ums,” are winged insects from the Ceratopogonidae family, which includes over 4,000 species. They are tiny gnat-like insects (only 1-3 mm long) and, like black flies, inflict painful bites. ... Biting midges are sometimes incorrectly referred to as “sand flies

Weevil been surprised before but this bug takes the cake, ant no doubt about it.

Maybe they don't exist in the non-existent land of NZ :D

Those dirty buggers light me up on the coasts and wetlands. I'll have welts from all the little bites. 

14 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Maybe they don't exist in the non-existent land of NZ :D

Maybe not but they do have huge carnivorous bats.  And venomous hummingbirds. 

16 minutes ago, ThereAndBackAgain said:

Maybe not but they do have huge carnivorous bats.  And venomous hummingbirds. 

Dafaq planet you on my man? :lmao:

On 1/23/2019 at 8:48 PM, Bug said:

Sorry, I mite have taken it too far again.

Don't bee so funny!

Welcome to the outside world, glad to have you here, Bug!

OTRR

On 1/22/2019 at 4:12 PM, Bug said:

It's funny, I spent all those years in Texas only meeting about 2 people who weren't Christian that became good friends of mine.

Now that I'm gone, I keep seeing and hearing about all these non-believers in the south. Where have you been? 😋

We're still in the closet! Or if not, we keep very quiet.

Congrats on getting out of Pentecostalism, Christianity in general, and Texas!  I'm 59 years old, lived in Texas my whole life, but maybe in a few years I can retire and escape.

13 minutes ago, Lerk said:

I'm 59 years old, lived in Texas my whole life, but maybe in a few years I can retire and escape.

I heard a joke a few years ago about a guy who was born in Missouri.   In a few years he moved to Kansas.   Later moved to Oklahoma.   Later moved to Texas.  Then he died and went to Hell, but he really didn't notice the difference because the change had been so gradual.   

• Haha 2

How did all those capital A things get in my post above?  I didn't put them there?

5 hours ago, Lerk said:

We're still in the closet! Or if not, we keep very quiet.

Congrats on getting out of Pentecostalism, Christianity in general, and Texas!  I'm 59 years old, lived in Texas my whole life, but maybe in a few years I can retire and escape.

I suspect just getting to Austin would be far enough away even if it is surrounded by Texas.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 2:03 PM, Weezer said:

I heard a joke a few years ago about a guy who was born in Missouri.   In a few years he moved to Kansas.   Later moved to Oklahoma.   Later moved to Texas.  Then he died and went to Hell, but he really didn't notice the difference because the change had been so gradual.   

Ha!

In a recent episode of "Young Sheldon," Sheldon's dad is offered a coaching job at a college in Oklahoma, which is quite a step up from a high school in Deep East Texas. The narrator (Jim Parsons) mentions how Texans feel about Oklahoma, and in one scene Sheldon expresses how nervous and unhappy he is about the prospect of moving. The teacher mutters "OKlaHOma?"

I laughed out loud, and I seldom laugh out loud. I grew up thinking EXACTLY this way. But I used to work with a guy from North Texas and I discovered that North Texans are OU fans. Go figure!

My goodness, I leave for a few days and come back to discover more warm welcomes and learn that New Zealand might actually be a real place. These are the discoveries I needed to make, thanks everyone!

Hahaha, oh Texas! 

When I moved to Pennsylvania my partner was quick to tell me about how everyone here feels about Jersey:

"They say NJ is the armpit of America and I can personally assure you that no one there can drive and just wait until you meet your first jughandle."

I just laughed along and didn't take it too seriously or think about it much until I realized that NJ is just what Oklahoma is to Texas. Now I can't stop seeing all the hilarious comparisons and similar banter that occurs between the 2 states. I worked in a warehouse for a few months over in Jersey and they say the exact same things about everyone living in Philly. I've told all my Jersey and PA friends that we should just come to an agreement that none of them know how to drive.

• Like 1

HEY!  Be careful whut youens say bout oklahomie.  Dat's whur i was hatched and reared.

But i wized up and muved to BEAUTIFUL Kansas!

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

HEY!  Be careful whut youens say bout oklahomie.  Dat's whur i was hatched and reared.

But i wized up and muved to BEAUTIFUL Kansas!

Hahaha, I actually really like Oklahoma and have a lot of good memories there. My family used to hate on it and then proceed to take us there every summer for family reunions and camping. I could have done without all of the Tornados, but that was more on my family for terrible planning. "It's storm season, time to go camp directly in the path of a twister and hope for the best! Let's be sure we take the whole family too so there will be more of us to scramble and make a scene." 

On 1/29/2019 at 2:25 PM, Bug said:

Hahaha, I actually really like Oklahoma and have a lot of good memories there.

So do I.  I still have friends and lots of relatives around Broken Arrow, and visit several times a year.  But would never want to go back there and live.  It is a hot bed of well meaning "christians" who never dream of questioning their faith, or politics. Many of them Dont know about my deconverting.  HA!  I don't want them worrying about my soul, and wasting their time praying for me.

• 1 month later...

Nice!

The world is a lot bigger than the small town that spoon-fed you your beliefs since childhood.  

I understand that feeling of being lost after accepting the truth.  

The more you persist, though, I believe that you will feel a sense of liberty and freedom - both intellectually and spiritually.  

Intellectually, because your mind is no longer clogged by the false ideas that hold so many people down.  

Spiritually, I've found the same freedom:  No more seeking love from the wrong people - not even Christian parents.