LogicalFallacy

Ice melt appears to be melting faster than previously thought

A growing number of reports show that melting is occurring at faster rates.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/greenland’s-melting-ice-nears-a-‘tipping-point’-scientists-say/ar-BBSyPFa?li=BBqdmGR

As a side note it appears that climate is more like a stock price trend rather than lineal. So you have pauses, and even retractions inside an overall up trend. This shouldn't actually be surprising, but worth noting because everytime there is a pause people say... ah ha, see it's stopped.

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Kind of ironic to find these climate posts in Science vs Religion. It's often Science vs the religion of politics.

4 minutes ago, florduh said:

Kind of ironic to find these climate posts in Science vs Religion. It's often Science vs the religion of politics.

Or science vs dearly held belief's or personal opinions.

Most of the articles are not "vs" articles, they are simply hey this is sciency stuff of interest to those who are so interested. Perhaps it's a misuse of the forum, but better than putting it in the shithole down below.

...too bad something that is religion is declared science....:jesus:

15 hours ago, Burnedout said:

...too bad something that is religion is declared science....

Surely you can see melt rates are testable, observable and can be easily tracked over time? Ignoring all of the climate change discussion and focusing on just this piece of information, isn't the reduction in ice caps a bad thing regardless of the cause or solution? 

14 minutes ago, Wertbag said:

Surely you can see melt rates are testable, observable and can be easily tracked over time? Ignoring all of the climate change discussion and focusing on just this piece of information, isn't the reduction in ice caps a bad thing regardless of the cause or solution? 

I live not far from the ocean (Gulf of Mexico).  There is a historic structure that has been there since 1831.  There is a survey done about every 10 years.  Since 1980, they have used satellite and lazer tools to survey it.  One of the things surveyed is the height above sea level.  It is on a barrier island just off the mainland of Pensacola, FL.  The island it is on averages about a meter or so above sea level in most places.  The structure has not changed it's height above sea level.  Not only that, I know people who own some homes on one of the inlet bays.  They have a house that is water front there, and have lived there since the early 90's.  They have boat docks and boats that back right up to their residences.  The water has not crept up.  That bay is at sea level and most of the time, there is little to no wave action because it is in a small inlet of a bay that goes into the ocean.  It is salt water.  In short, NO RISE OF WATER LEVEL.  I don't CARE what is published.  It not matching what I am seeing.  Thus, I am making an assumption of my own that the people publishing the info are lying or at a minimum, not being 100% truthful.  I don't care what the explanations are, if it doesn't match what I see with my own eyes, I don't buy it. 

@Mods: not sure why BO has to spill his shit in the science forum?

If I wanted to pick a fight with him and have the usual trash thrown about I'd have posted in the ToT.

We've been over the same old shit before. Some of us are actually interested in this topic so I post it here for those so inclined. Do we have to tolerate BO constantly popping up in these topics in this section spewing his twaddle about how we are all religious and the same old debunked arguments? Normally people who post here are hoping for some rational discussion away from the usual faeces flinging exercises in the ToT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Sorry, I asked him a question, I should have known better than that.  Apologies everyone, please go back to ignoring the crazy. 

16 minutes ago, Wertbag said:

Sorry, I asked him a question, I should have known better than that.  Apologies everyone, please go back to ignoring the crazy. 

Bad Wertbag, Bad!!! lol

30 minutes ago, Wertbag said:

The question was fine. He was spilling his shit before that. Sadly questions and 'debate' with him here leads to incoherent ramblings. I know this from experience. I'm though with trying to have a reasonable conversation with him here.

However, like God I am wrathful and demand punishment... thou shalt wear pink bunny ears for a whole day at work for thine sins :P :D  

8 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

If I wanted to pick a fight with him and have the usual trash thrown about I'd have posted in the ToT.

We've been over the same old shit before. Some of us are actually interested in this topic so I post it here for those so inclined. Do we have to tolerate BO constantly popping up in these topics in this section spewing his twaddle about how we are all religious and the same old debunked arguments? Normally people who post here are hoping for some rational discussion away from the usual faeces flinging exercises in the ToT.

Yes, we're not supposed to get political in this section. Science and Religion discussion only. Not the religion of politics either. Especially if we're being told that the topic was posted specifically to avoid getting bulked up with political comments. 

On 1/21/2019 at 10:20 PM, Burnedout said:

...too bad something that is religion is declared science....:jesus:

This probably goes too far, considering the section, and LF's requested not to go there. The main thing is that LF has openly said that he doesn't want to go there, so his request should be honored. If it's posted in ToT then it's fair game according to the rules 'down there.'