Goodbye Jesus

Preparing for fundy visit

midniterider

Well, I'm planning a several day trip which will include an overnight stay with a fundy relative. I will be in their vehicle and at their mercy so I'm planning ahead in my mind how to kindly counter any questions as to my current religious status. I think it might be kind of fun to have this conversation.

I dont necessarily have a problem getting across that I've returned to my heathen ways but it might be fun to kindly put forth questions such as :

1. Does Jesus have a personal relationship with me? If so, why do I need to read the bible. Is his personal relationship exactly like everyone else's personal relationship? And if so, that doesnt seem very personal or unique. Sounds more like boot camp.

2. If Hell is a possibility for non-compliance then how can my love ever be sincere if I'm not really that interested in Christianity? Does faking it get you into Heaven?

It would be fun to hit my relative with some questions. Though these ex-c debate ideas aren't anything new, I'd like to find a kind way to present them. This relative may not actually ask me if I'm still a believer or not, but I'm sure I'll be hearing about Jesus while I'm there.

I'm interested in the angle of "why" would I want to be a follower of Jesus when I have no interest in it. Because that's my feeling towards Christianity. Anything you want to throw at me, I'll consider presenting.

Thanks.

It may turn out like some of my situations have.  A few times I planned how to respond to them, and wanted them to bring up religion, but no one brought up the subject.  And I no longer am the one to bring it up.

I would try to avoid any discussion, no need to burn any bridges if you don't have to. You could probably already guess the answers you will get, they'll be the same thoughtless repetition of what they were taught. 

• Like 1

Talking to fundies about religion is like talking to the wall.

• Like 2

I wish you well.  If that is your idea of fun, then I hope you get a good laugh.  Personally, I think I would do the calculation of the relative hardness of the wall and of my head, and decide not repeatedly bashing the latter against the former is the best available headache remedy.

Seriously - your biggest problem might be avoiding this turning nasty.  Your relative is unlikely to find your questions "fun", unless you present them very carefully indeed - but not being challenging would rather defeat the object..

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator

Did toddler jesus ever heal himself when he got a boo-boo on his knee?

• Super Moderator

Carry with you a copy of "Dianetics."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmm, maybe I'll just pretend to be a Christian for a few days. :)

I'm with @Wertbag above. I would avoid discussion if possible. If they keep bringing up religion in a way that makes you uncomfortable then you can set a firm boundary simply by saying would rather not talk about that, and you should not have to explain yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 1:44 PM, midniterider said:

Well, I'm planning a several day trip which will include an overnight stay with a fundy relative. I will be in their vehicle and at their mercy so I'm planning ahead in my mind how to kindly counter any questions as to my current religious status. I think it might be kind of fun to have this conversation.

I dont necessarily have a problem getting across that I've returned to my heathen ways but it might be fun to kindly put forth questions such as :

1. Does Jesus have a personal relationship with me? If so, why do I need to read the bible. Is his personal relationship exactly like everyone else's personal relationship? And if so, that doesnt seem very personal or unique. Sounds more like boot camp.

2. If Hell is a possibility for non-compliance then how can my love ever be sincere if I'm not really that interested in Christianity? Does faking it get you into Heaven?

It would be fun to hit my relative with some questions. Though these ex-c debate ideas aren't anything new, I'd like to find a kind way to present them. This relative may not actually ask me if I'm still a believer or not, but I'm sure I'll be hearing about Jesus while I'm there.

I'm interested in the angle of "why" would I want to be a follower of Jesus when I have no interest in it. Because that's my feeling towards Christianity. Anything you want to throw at me, I'll consider presenting.

Thanks.

I have an idea! 

You know what used to piss me off the most, when people shut me down when I'm telling them something I think they need to know. I know I can be a intrusive little shit, but now I learn in that moment and don't get all shitty about it. 

Just say "Sorry I don't want to talk about it" 

Ugh, well that’s what headphones with viking, death, and heavy metal is for

2 hours ago, Aries256 said:

Ugh, well that’s what headphones with viking, death, and heavy metal is for

And refried beans with cabbage the night before. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tripqing said:

And refried beans with cabbage the night before. 

Ooooh thats so delightfully evil 😈 I like

3 hours ago, Aries256 said:

https://youtu.be/ve4PRaA5y48

3 hours ago, Aries256 said:

• Haha 1

HAHAHAHAHAHA