Goodbye Jesus

Jesus was a Buddhist monk

George

There is a lot of discussion and story about missing years etc.  Let's explore Jesus from that angle

• Super Moderator

What are you wanting to explore, exactly?  The interwebs are awash with sites that discuss a variety of hypotheses concerning the so-called "lost years" of jesus.

• Super Moderator

There's no evidence that the years that ARE accounted for in the Bible story are factual. The very existence of the character is in dispute. Why would people make up yet another tale?

I've thought about that and might have read something about it in the past. Some of the teachings attributed to him seem to mesh more with Buddhism than with Judaism. The region was a bit of a melting pot with lots of varying influences at the time though.

Okay.  The sources for this are?  And when?  And what exactly was a Buddhist monk during that period of time?  We need to gather a lot of information for this.  Or we can just assume a lot of it and go from there.  Whichever.

mwc

If anything, his teachings were those of a young rebel fed up with religion taking the place of simple compassion, which is why he emphasized purposefully sharing one's wealth with those who are poor, up to selling everything. In fact, he made this the crux of how he determines who is a sheep and who is a goat. Out of all the religious rules, hogwash about demons and spiritual warfare, all the precepts doled out by Paul and Peter, Jesus said what made the difference was feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the lonely or stuck in prison, taking care of the sick, etc. John the Baptist had the same message, he who has two coats should share with him who has none, same goes for food, don't cheat people out of money. If this were what the church embraced instead of all of the rules and things that make them snooty, what a different world we'd have. These things are the only value I still find in the bible.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fuego said:

These things are the only value I still find in the bible.

Amen!

The parallels between some of Jesus's teachings and buddhist teachings is remarkable, but I tend to think this is the side effect of whatever spiritual rebel is showing through all the historical corruptions and deliberate misinterpretations empires and religious institutions imposed on the bible (and its interpretations) to justify cruelty and exploitation. I don't think Jesus was a Xian.