Goodbye Jesus

Divine Inspiration & Biblical Inerrancy: The Failed Hypothesis

Joshpantera

I'm going through this: 

Interesting program so far. We can discuss it here where christians are invited to watch and present any counter arguments they wish to wage. Any silent readers? Feel free to jump in any time. 

@Christforums

I've touched on some of this with you already, William. Both here and at your forums concerning trying to get to square one of, "what is the bible in the first place?"

The video is long, but it makes a lot of the points very clear. Concerning our discussion and the problems with today's apologetic's, the above is a good place to start the process of analyzing why many of the approaches commonly used often do not work towards building faith, but instead, often work in the opposite direction.

I myself have noticed many of these problems on my own, starting with my second wind to reread the Bible around age 25. Much the same way that the creator of the video took notice of the errors and contradictions right from the outset. When pressing apologist's to try and explain further along as these problems are encountered, I've noticed that the holes tend to grow deeper and deeper as the apologist's attempt to get out of them. That too is illustrated in the above.

And below is another video based on Genesis specifically: 

Logic leaping to a starting point that assumes, apriori, that the bible is correct and true seem quite unwarranted, at best. That the bible even is true and correct has to be established before citing  bible verses can have any meaningful value. And without first establishing the bibles truth, quoting the bible at someone is rendered completely meaningless as far as truth claims are concerned. 

• 2 months later...

Common give it up. 

The scriptures say that the LORD (Spirit of truth) would raise from a Prophet ( Man:male or female) from the midst of thee, of thy brethren,  like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.   

Any idea what the words (________)  will be?

On 4/12/2019 at 5:42 AM, Justus said:

The scriptures say........

Yes, the two opening videos cover what the scriptures say.

And why exactly inerrancy is a failed hypothesis. In my opinion, the judeo-christian scriptures are just plain horrible actually, when it comes to truth and reality. The two opening videos are very informative and I'd encourage everyone reading along to go ahead and look them over well. Then if there's something or some things that they'd like to respond to specifically, just cite the time sequence from the video so we can follow along with what is being critiqued. Thanks. 

On 4/15/2019 at 7:41 PM, Joshpantera said:

And why exactly inerrancy is a failed hypothesis

So do you think your opinion is inerrant?   Ipso Facto

On 4/15/2019 at 7:41 PM, Joshpantera said:

In my opinion, the judeo-christian scriptures are just plain horrible actually, when it comes to truth and reality.

So you think opinions are plain horrible when it comes to truth and reality?  Just asking...

1 hour ago, Justus said:

So do you think your opinion is inerrant?   Ipso Facto

So you think opinions are plain horrible when it comes to truth and reality?  Just asking...

Good questions. My opinion used to be that the bible was the inspired word of an all knowing god. That opinion turned out to be errant. When I realized that my opinion was errant, I moved on and changed my opinion. Now, in my opinion, the bible is a horrible attempt at describing reality and truth. Which is the basis for the OP videos which detail many of the reasons why an inerrant hypothesis of the bible (which I used to subscribe to) fails in very specific ways. 

The greater issue here is that the bible merely exists as one of a great many other human productions, all of which are subject to varying levels of errancy. How do we know? By locating the errors involved. So this isn't a topic that takes down the bible as errant in order to uphold something else as inerrant. This is a topic that outlines errors and allows that it's entirely possible that everything is errant, the bible not withstanding. 

That said, would you like to focus in on the errors of the bible mentioned? 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 6:17 AM, Joshpantera said:

That said, would you like to focus in on the errors of the bible mentioned? 

Sure, pick an error out the book of knowledge of good and evil and I'll bite.  :yum:

• Super Moderator

The bible is true because it doesn't mean what it says or say what it means.  Any time you find a contradiction, inaccuracy, or fallacy, it is either metaphorical, you took it out of context, or it was put there to test you.  Also, you really should be reading the correct interpretation of the correct translation.  Oh, and the holy spirit will guide you, too.

It's complicated; but that's god's simple message of love.  🙄

• Haha 2

The starting point for anyone considering Christianity should be the historical integrity of the Bible as God's revealed word.  If that cannot be proven, its ridiculous to accept the teachings of Christianity. Pseudo experts like the Pope, Graham, Falwell, Robertson, Roberts, Stanley, McDowell, Strobel and other such clowns have never credibly proven that the Hebrew god Yahweh exists or that the Bible is an accurate record of its commands. Despite this failure,  hundreds of millions of people devote their lives and their money to this deception. Obviously, they seek solace and answers rather than truth. They are then preyed upon by the Bible thumping hucksters, whose mansions are provided by the same gullible masses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, Justus said:

Sure, pick an error out the book of knowledge of good and evil and I'll bite.  :yum:

Go to evilbible.com. hundreds of absurdities,  contradictions and offensive passages off all kinds.. the OT bible is shockingly disturbing if you aren't Jewish ...if you are,  it's like " hey, He loves me and says I can have all your land money and your daughters too"

On 7/12/2019 at 4:06 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

The bible is true because it doesn't mean what it says or say what it means.

It is written that the Spirit  would raise men up and put his 'word'  in their mouth so what did you read in the Bible that did not mean what you think it said or didn't say what you think it means?  

On 7/16/2019 at 12:37 AM, Tarlc said:

Go to evilbible.com. hundreds of absurdities,  contradictions and offensive passages off all kinds.. the OT bible is shockingly disturbing if you aren't Jewish ...if you are,  it's like " hey, He loves me and says I can have all your land money and your daughters too"

The absurdities, contradiction and offensive passages are the reflection of one's own interpretation of what is written, not necessarily what is meant by the author.

I have heard many people say the Declaration, wherein it is written that "all men are created equal' , is absurd and contradictory because they don't hold the same truths to be self evident regarding their Creator that the founding father did.  If they don't believe the LORD made the male and female and gave them the gift of tongues which allows them to communicate using the spoken word he called man then they will claim that it can't be interpreted that any other way than how they chose to interpret it while claiming we are free to make our own interpretations.    

Its like this song, I can't tell you what it says to you nor you what it says to me. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a different to sing the song.  

But of course, some don't care for music anyway...

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, Justus said:

It is written that the Spirit  would raise men up and put his 'word'  in their mouth so what did you read in the Bible that did not mean what you think it said or didn't say what you think it means?  

There's the problem: the spirit put his word in their mouths instead of in whichever hand they wrote with.  

23 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

There's the problem: the spirit put his word in their mouths instead of in whichever hand they wrote with.  

At least your hand doesn't deny the word comes forth from the spirit.  

• Super Moderator
21 minutes ago, Justus said:

At least your hand doesn't deny the word comes forth from the spirit.  

My hand also doesn't deny that Christmas gifts come forth from Santa Claus. 

On 7/25/2019 at 5:30 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

My hand also doesn't deny that Christmas gifts come forth from Santa Claus. 

Dam?, so you saying Spock spoke with forked hand?

Image result for Spock hand sign

• 1 month later...

Christianity is based on the New Testament of Saul primarily, and also the gospels written by unknown persons.. these writings are not factual.. therefore, these teachings are based on delusion, imagination and personal beliefs.. Christianity, therefore, has no merit apart from certain ethical teachings which it did not originate.

• Thanks 1