Goodbye Jesus

God doesn’t get credit for morals

Mandy

On 1/25/2019 at 8:10 PM, Mandy said:

Do you know how Christians are always saying we have no moral compass without belief in god?  I was just thinking.  Perhaps many of them stay in their religion because they are afraid they won’t know how to live without their imaginary friend, made up rules, and the whole charade.

They have been told for so long how to live and what to say and do and even think that the idea of doing all of these things without any direction terrifies them.  Honestly there’s a problem when the only thing keeping you from murdering someone or raping someone or molesting a child or abusing another person in any way is an ancient book which lays out contradictions left and right regarding these moral concepts.  How would one even begin to gain their morality from an immoral book?  Hell even if it’s simply laws set forth by a legal system that keep you from hurting or killing other people then there’s an issue.  

Would we we know what was right and wrong if we were not told so?  I’m pretty certain we would.  Ultimately we all come to this understanding differently anyhow.  I don’t think any of us have the exact same morals either.  You could participate in the same religion, worship the same god, and go to the same church but you could hold entirely different beliefs about what is right and wrong.  Or you  may hold the same belief about right and wrong on a certain subject but simply decide not to adhere to your belief sometimes. You know something isn’t right but you do it anyhow.  We all have done that at some point in our lives.  

People don’t have to attend a church or have a belief in god to know what the fuck is going on.  Societal norms, the people we are around, acceptable behavior, we all learn it.  Beyond making informed decisions about our behavior based on our observations of the world around us it is important to understand that morality is rather subjective.  

If anything we should thank our wonderful beautiful abilitiy to REASON for any sort of morality we possess.  I’m just going to say it, I’m pretty sure it’s an evolution thing. Think about it. When our brains grew larger so did our  cognitive abilities and also through evolution we gained the ability to speak.  Without speech, cognition, reason and ultimately the process of evolution - this whole list of rights and wrongs wouldn’t have came about.  We would still be primitive beings.  So I thank evolution for it.  God doesn’t get credit for morals.  

I may have put this in the wrong section of the website, not sure.  If it needs to be moved please do so. 

I always wondered why if Christians have better morals, why are most of the people in our prisons Christian?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I can usually follow comments and understand them but after @theredneckprofessor's comments, which I agree with and feel myself, none of it made much sense....

On 1/25/2019 at 9:10 PM, Mandy said:

through evolution we gained the ability to speak.

I guess you haven't heard of the 'forbidden experiment'.  

On 1/25/2019 at 10:10 PM, Mandy said:

Do you know how Christians are always saying we have no moral compass without belief in god?  I was just thinking.  Perhaps many of them stay in their religion because they are afraid they won’t know how to live without their imaginary friend, made up rules, and the whole charade.

Yes, that seems to be true. 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:10 PM, Mandy said:

They have been told for so long how to live and what to say and do and even think that the idea of doing all of these things without any direction terrifies them.  Honestly there’s a problem when the only thing keeping you from murdering someone or raping someone or molesting a child or abusing another person in any way is an ancient book which lays out contradictions left and right regarding these moral concepts.  How would one even begin to gain their morality from an immoral book?   

Sounds like you're a self thinker coming into your own. As it stands, human morals vary between cultures and arose within cultures due to obvious evolution of social interaction. Between close groups and then eventually extending out to surrounding groups concerning what is and is not socially acceptable at a given point in time. What is highly immoral to someone there, can be perfectly fine here and vise versa. Take women covering their, "shame" with a burka. Some Arabs, Africans or Southeast Asians may find it the hub of morality. Meanwhile someone in the US may see it as an immoral act of misogyny against women. One persons moral is another persons immoral. Same with slavery. It was morally acceptable according to the bible. That's why it lasted so long. But, eventually, a majority of human beings socially evolved into another range of morality and decided to attack slavery as immoral. Despite the fact that it's sanctioned in the bible. Now, it's mostly considered immoral. Morals evolve. 

By many of today's evolved standards, the bible is immoral on myriad fronts. That's why it makes no sense to have the bible or ten commandments posted at secular court buildings in my opinion. If we used the bible as our sense of morality today we'd be head high in state sanctioned polygamy, misogyny, murder by way of public stoning, slavery, and even genocide. Some more to chew on for our christian members.....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Justus said:

I guess you haven't heard of the 'forbidden experiment'.  

What is the "forbidden Experiment"?

On 4/25/2019 at 12:48 PM, NeverHealed52Years said:

What is the "forbidden Experiment"?

It is a reference to the period of 'critical development' which linguists hypothesize is the time where language acquisition occurs in young kids.  While faith might come from hearing, the ability to speak doesn't according to the hypothesis of critical development.  Thus, the 'forbidden experiment' is any experiment which would propose withholding children during this period  of 'critical development' the interaction necessary to acquire language skills (speak).  

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2019 at 1:13 PM, Derek said:

I just can't understand why so many people think they can adopt good morals from a being who, according to his "eternal, unerring word",  murdered millions of people. If god existed, he would be fast friends with the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Bin Laden, and Genghis Khan. 

Such a God also might be friends with Lucifer (the enlightened one), AKA Satin, another "talented" fictional character.