Goodbye Jesus

God doesn’t get credit for morals

Mandy

Do you know how Christians are always saying we have no moral compass without belief in god?  I was just thinking.  Perhaps many of them stay in their religion because they are afraid they won’t know how to live without their imaginary friend, made up rules, and the whole charade.

They have been told for so long how to live and what to say and do and even think that the idea of doing all of these things without any direction terrifies them.  Honestly there’s a problem when the only thing keeping you from murdering someone or raping someone or molesting a child or abusing another person in any way is an ancient book which lays out contradictions left and right regarding these moral concepts.  How would one even begin to gain their morality from an immoral book?  Hell even if it’s simply laws set forth by a legal system that keep you from hurting or killing other people then there’s an issue.  

Would we we know what was right and wrong if we were not told so?  I’m pretty certain we would.  Ultimately we all come to this understanding differently anyhow.  I don’t think any of us have the exact same morals either.  You could participate in the same religion, worship the same god, and go to the same church but you could hold entirely different beliefs about what is right and wrong.  Or you  may hold the same belief about right and wrong on a certain subject but simply decide not to adhere to your belief sometimes. You know something isn’t right but you do it anyhow.  We all have done that at some point in our lives.  

People don’t have to attend a church or have a belief in god to know what the fuck is going on.  Societal norms, the people we are around, acceptable behavior, we all learn it.  Beyond making informed decisions about our behavior based on our observations of the world around us it is important to understand that morality is rather subjective.  

If anything we should thank our wonderful beautiful abilitiy to REASON for any sort of morality we possess.  I’m just going to say it, I’m pretty sure it’s an evolution thing. Think about it. When our brains grew larger so did our  cognitive abilities and also through evolution we gained the ability to speak.  Without speech, cognition, reason and ultimately the process of evolution - this whole list of rights and wrongs wouldn’t have came about.  We would still be primitive beings.  So I thank evolution for it.  God doesn’t get credit for morals.  

I may have put this in the wrong section of the website, not sure.  If it needs to be moved please do so. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

God doesn’t get credit for morals.

QFT!   

There's an article on the main blog where webmdave added this:

god-is-just-a-psychopathic-narcissist-wh

http://new.exchristian.net/2019/01/god-has-narcissistic-personality.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just can't understand why so many people think they can adopt good morals from a being who, according to his "eternal, unerring word",  murdered millions of people. If god existed, he would be fast friends with the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Bin Laden, and Genghis Khan. 

• Like 2

Well it's the "god cannot be questioned, doing so is a sin" brainwashing. That and the fact that society is still stuck in the idea that religion is an admirable thing, and so is believing in god. You can figure out roughly where your society is when you ask the question: would we elect an openly atheist president or prime minister? 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 10:10 PM, Mandy said:

Do you know how Christians are always saying we have no moral compass without belief in god?  I was just thinking.  Perhaps many of them stay in their religion because they are afraid they won’t know how to live without their imaginary friend, made up rules, and the whole charade.

I distinctly remember that back when I was a Christian I sincerely believed that losing my faith would automatically mean I'd lose by bearing on morals completely and that I would do something terrible, like murder or robbery or whatnot. I was told it was 'in my sinful nature' because of original sin, to do the most horrifying things I can imagine, and that faith in Xianity was the only thing keeping me from doing those things. Fortunately, I hung around enough atheists growing up to have time to ponder as to why non-believers seemed to in control of themselves. Sure enough I didn't morally implode when I lost my religion ; I had only been lead to believe that I would. 

It's kind of the point of a lot of toxic religions to convince you to hate yourself and doubt yourself so much that the idea of trusting yourself to leave the religious authority's grasp of control is too scary to follow through on. It is always all about control.

• Like 2

I never understood this whole "If it weren't for God, we would be horrible rapists / murderers" nonsense. Silly stuff!

• Super Moderator

I find that I operate with more morality now than I did when I was a christian.  I was a manipulative liar back then.  A horrible person.  But then I asked Reason into my heart and it saved me and turned my life around.  Halle-fuckin-lujah.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2019 at 3:13 PM, Derek said:

I just can't understand why so many people think they can adopt good morals from a being who, according to his "eternal, unerring word",  murdered millions of people.

LOL, and you probably believe that God put a a rainbow in the sky as a sign that the waters of the earth shall never again become a flood to destroy all the living substance upon the earth.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Justus said:

LOL, and you probably believe that God put a a rainbow in the sky as a sign that the waters of the earth shall never again become a flood to destroy all the living substance upon the earth.

??

9 hours ago, Justus said:

Umm...nope. Read my post again.

I have to say, we've recently experienced some pretty odd posts from our christian members. Very odd indeed. 

On 1/29/2019 at 5:08 AM, Derek said:

Umm...nope. Read my post again.

Ok, and I still reach they same conclusion from your comment.  While you don't believe in what is written in the scriptures holds any truth, your interpretation of what is written is that it  represents that a God who you don't believe exists, caused a global flood, which you don't believe ever occured. which is said to have killed all  flesh on earth, save the eight souls upon the ark, which you believe never happened.

This being based upon your comment in which you stated ".... a being who, according to his "eternal, unerring word",  murdered millions of people."

So my response is that you probably believe that the scriptures also represent that the "being' ,who you don't believe exists, also claimed that the rainbow was given as  a sign given to men that another global flood would not occur, which you also don't believe because science tells you the rainbow is caused by light refraction and isn't not the result of some spaghetti monster in the sky.

• Confused 2

Typical christian...taking a statement that is simple, straightforward and to-the-point and applying some twisted form of logic to it to form the wrong conclusion. 

BTW..."eternal, unerring word" was in quotes to show sarcasm. Maybe we need a sarcasm emoji...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Xtians tend to be immoral. Look at their so called “god” a giant orbital toddler with a penchant for temper tantrums like a spoiled brat. Who commits genocide at the drop of a hat pin, makes people just to have them treated like crap by it’s brain dead followers, and cares more about football games than dying children. Xtians need to hide a midol in a piece of cheese and give it to their “god”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/4/2019 at 4:27 AM, Derek said:

Typical christian...taking a statement that is simple, straightforward and to-the-point and applying some twisted form of logic to it to form the wrong conclusion.

Do you believe in a God?

Do you believe that there was a global flood of waters around 3,500 years ago?

Do you believe the Bible?

If your answer is no then how did I come to the wrong conclusion regarding your comment?

On 2/4/2019 at 4:27 AM, Derek said:

BTW..."eternal, unerring word" was in quotes to show sarcasm. Maybe we need a sarcasm emoji...

Maybe my comment went over your head since I wasn't referring unto the 'eternal, unerring word' in your comment but rather the following:

On 1/27/2019 at 3:13 PM, Derek said:

murdered millions of people

But speaking of sarcasm, maybe an emoji is needed  🌈

On 1/28/2019 at 7:54 PM, Justus said:

LOL, and you probably believe that God put a a rainbow in the sky as a sign

On 1/29/2019 at 7:46 PM, Joshpantera said:

I have to say, we've recently experienced some pretty odd posts from our christian members. Very odd indeed. 

So when you were a Christian did you believe that the rainbow was given as a sign to man that the waters should never cause a global flood?

The question isn't whether you still believe it is true or not, but rather the fact that you believe it says it was a rainbow.

• Confused 1

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, Justus said:

Do you believe in a God?

Do you believe that there was a global flood of waters around 3,500 years ago?

Do you believe the Bible?

If your answer is no then how did I come to the wrong conclusion regarding your comment?

"I think you believe in god, therefore you must believe in god."  DAFUQ?

• Haha 3

On 1/29/2019 at 5:46 PM, Joshpantera said:

:68:

• Haha 1

Justus...Idk what you've been smoking, but it must be some goooood sh!t :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:27 AM, Tsathoggua9 said:

I never understood this whole "If it weren't for God, we would be horrible rapists / murderers" nonsense. Silly stuff!

I was thinking along this line the other day while going through a holocaust exhibition.

On one hand people were saying it was so evil it couldn't be from a human mind, it had to be satanic. Um, no, humans can be, and are often horrible animals to each other.

Then on the other hand people were saying that it was by the strength of God they helped the jews, or that they'd prefer to stand with god rather than man. Well if that kind of thinking makes you help your fellow humans great, but isn't terrible that we need a god excuse to justify helping people in need.

After that I was thinking sometimes we are a pretty fucked up species for all our intellect.

• Like 3

• Super Moderator
41 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

After that I was thinking sometimes we are a pretty fucked up species for all our intellect.

"When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."  ~Nietzsche

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 8:54 PM, Justus said:

This is odd because Derek is an ex christian from the outset, he clearly doesn't believe that god put a rainbow in the sky as a sign to man, or some sort of pact that he'll never flood the whole earth again. I was raised on the explanation for rainbows being, Noah's Flood. Derek may have been too. 

6 hours ago, Justus said:
On 1/29/2019 at 8:46 PM, Joshpantera said:

So when you were a Christian did you believe that the rainbow was given as a sign to man that the waters should never cause a global flood?

The question isn't whether you still believe it is true or not, but rather the fact that you believe it says it was a rainbow.

Ok, that clarifies it some more. 

The question is whether we believe that it (the bible?) says it was a rainbow? Do you have some other interpretation to offer for Genesis 9:13?  

Genesis 9:13 King James Version (KJV)

13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

This is odd because Derek is an ex christian from the outset, he clearly doesn't believe that god put a rainbow in the sky as a sign to man, or some sort of pact that he'll never flood the whole earth again. I was raised on the explanation for rainbows being, Noah's Flood. Derek may have been too. 

Ok, that clarifies it some more. 

The question is whether we believe that it (the bible?) says it was a rainbow? Do you have some other interpretation to offer for Genesis 9:13?  

The sign of sagittarius? 

tnf-00035_color.jpg

• Like 1

It's possible. There's a lot of astrotheology in the bible. Could be cosmic reference. But I don't think that's what Justus's interpretation would be. 

7 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

"I think you believe in god, therefore you must believe in god."  DAFUQ?

I never thought for a second that the guy believed in God.  But you think I am a Christian so therefore I must be one. :yelrotflmao: 

2 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

This is odd because Derek is an ex christian from the outset, he clearly doesn't believe that god put a rainbow in the sky as a sign

Geez you guys can't grasp a sarcastic comment?  Of course he doesn't believe God put a rainbow in the sky as a sign but the point wasn't that; rather that is what he believed the Bible represented when he was a Christian.

I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.

While the multi-color band of lights which appear in the sky when visible white light is refracted by the presence of water droplets in the atmosphere, the curvature of the multi-colored band is not the result of light refraction but rather from the bow in the cloud.   (FYI-the term cloud has different meanings that what we consider a cloud to be today.)

Do you have some other interpretation to offer for Genesis 9:13?  

Yes.