Burnedout

Evangelical Christian video criticizing Morman Beliefs...Have a few laughs.

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

The Mormon promise of endless sex is a pretty good recruiting tool, at least for the guys. Then, again, Christianity teaches sex is sinful but that hasn’t hurt their recruiting new members. The Mormon belief that anyone can become a God is attractive as opposed to Christian teaching that everyone is an evil disgusting sinner deserving of eternal punishment. The Mormons believe when a person becomes a God they will have endless sex with unlimited partners.

All of that makes me wonder why Christianity has more adherents than Mormonism?  The Mormons clearly have a better marketing plan. :3:

• Haha 1

I used to show that hokey film in churches with a small group of ex-Mormons I hooked up with. I wasn't ever a Mormon, I was studying cults and it seemed like a natural extension. My Nazarene pastor got a letter from the LDS church asking him not to show it, and he was going to cancel it until I talked with him. He really didn't know anything about LDS teachings and was concerned that his church would be seen as unfriendly and mean. He didn't know anything about New Age and other beliefs either, so he started promoting and attending a "healing of memories" where Jesus in your imagination takes on a life of his own and accompanies you back to painful memories and magically does his Jesus stuff to you so it never even happened to you... We had some animated talks about this, and I told him how it was completely unbiblical, amounted to witchcraft and lying to yourself. He said that god can do anything, even change things in the past. He was authoritarian and ignorant, a great combination.

I remember evangelicals really like to make fun of mormons... even though they're pretty much on the same level of crazy in terms of beliefs. In one of those "revival" meetings I went to as a kid to socialize with evangelicals the speakers frequently mocks mormons as being nutso -- and at the same time speakers (I guess these were Pentecostals) were periodically babbling and having convulsions on the floor.

I get that spirituality sometimes takes people to weird places sometimes but if they're going to be so weird can't they at least be more accepting of other religion/people's weirdness, even if they don't agree with them?? It all seemed so hypocritical.