Weezer

10 commandments misunderstood.

I just read about Arkansas defending public didplay of the 10 commandments.   I don't think Christians understand that they were never meant as universal commandments for all of mankind.  If they looked at the big picture with some critical thinking,  they would understand the commandments were only for the Israelites, about how to treat each other as they wandered in the desert. (If they actually did)  It was okay to kill heathens and steal from them.

If they were universal rules for mankind, God would have violated his own rules a few years later by commanding his children, the Israelites, to slaughter the Canaanites and steal their land.  They were also allowed to take Canaanite females and sell them.  MY, WHAT A WONDERFUL GOD!!!

It was a major jolt for me in my religious journey when the reality of this soaked into my brain.

• Like 1

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

I've yet to see anyone display the ten commandments, whether in public or in private. Not the real ten commandments. What you see everywhere is, in contemporary terms, the alpha version. No one wants to even look at the final version because that one cannot possibly be called the words of any "loving" deity.

You know, these commandments. Gets them every time. :fdevil:

"All that openeth the matrix is mine..."  THE MATRIX!

I've always wondered why Christians are intent on the 10 Commandments instead of Sermon on the Mount, or Sheep and the Goats. I guess those would remind them about being kind, giving their stuff to the poor, and focusing on love instead of religion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fuego said:

"All that openeth the matrix is mine..."  THE MATRIX!

What is the matrix?

33 minutes ago, NeverHealed52Years said:

What is the matrix?

It's a movie, with pretty good parallels to christianity and any other wacky belief systems/worldviews, imo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NeverHealed52Years said:

What is the matrix? 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/

This tells about the movie, if you haven't heard about it. It is from the 1999. Above, I was making a joking reference to the movie. In the unrelated bible quote, it refers to the womb giving birth, and Yahweh claiming all the firstborn as his property, which means unless you wanted to kill the kid, you had to offer a sacrifice in his/her place. Bloodthirsty beast of a god.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Fuego said:

I've always wondered why Christians are intent on the 10 Commandments instead of Sermon on the Mount, or Sheep and the Goats. I guess those would remind them about being kind, giving their stuff to the poor, and focusing on love instead of religion.

It occurred to me recently that right wing Christians don't talk about the Sermon on the mount.  They have more of a tooth for tooth mentality.  And, do unto others before they do unto you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Weezer said:

do unto others before they do unto you.

JEBUS SHOT FIRST! :P

But yeah, pretty spot-on.

• Like 1

I always thought it was contradictory to say "we don't follow the OT laws, Jesus started a new covenant" then worshipping the ten commandments. Either the OT laws should be followed in which case we should be killing witches and people working on weekends, or none of it is relevant in which case the ten commandments are irrelevant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wertbag said:

I always thought it was contradictory to say "we don't follow the OT laws, Jesus started a new covenant" then worshipping the ten commandments. Either the OT laws should be followed in which case we should be killing witches and people working on weekends, or none of it is relevant in which case the ten commandments are irrelevant. 

Yep. Point out the atrocities in the OT and they say oh that was the OT, we have a new covenant.... now you shouldn't worship any other gods and honour they mother and father.... but wait isn't that the OT? Why are you following those commandments, but not the thou shalt not eat bacon with thy eggs commandment? *Mind bomb*

10 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Christianity works one of two ways. There is no other.

1. reading the bible as a source of metaphorical wisdom... which means you are still responsible for what exactly you learn from it.

2. ignoring the fucking billions of contradictions in the bible so that you can successfully lie to yourself "I'm following it literally".

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 5:07 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

Yep. Point out the atrocities in the OT and they say oh that was the OT, we have a new covenant.... now you shouldn't worship any other gods and honour they mother and father.... but wait isn't that the OT? Why are you following those commandments, but not the thou shalt not eat bacon with thy eggs commandment? *Mind bomb*

Which, then leads to SDAism proselytizing. And using veggie bacon. Going to church on the jewish sabbath. But then still stopping short of observing all the OT rules. Just picking and choosing a few and disregarding the rest again. 

20 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

Which, then leads to SDAism proselytizing. And using veggie bacon. Going to church on the jewish sabbath. But then still stopping short of observing all the OT rules. Just picking and choosing a few and disregarding the rest again. 

They are only following what their prophet Ellen G. White told them to follow. God sent her visions after she got a head injury riding a horse ya know. LOL

DB

• Haha 1

Yeah, she took a 'tip toe through the tulips' with a bible basket. Picking and choosing this and that from the OT, while grasping at the occasional imaginary butterfly as she strolled down the path.....