Sign in to follow this  
Wertbag

Euthanasia close in NZ

4 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

Oregon State Government prepares an annual report to the public.  Here is the 2017 report:

Reading the report I wouldn't be surprised if our bill was based on your law. The criteria are almost identical. 

The only change they have added is the doctor doesn't leave the drugs and will take them away if the person changes their mind. The report talks about people taking them months later, and I do see a risk of misuse if they are just laying around. It also means you don't get complete data with several people who were listed as unknowns.

21 minutes ago, Wertbag said:

Reading the report I wouldn't be surprised if our bill was based on your law. The criteria are almost identical. 

The only change they have added is the doctor doesn't leave the drugs and will take them away if the person changes their mind. The report talks about people taking them months later, and I do see a risk of misuse if they are just laying around. It also means you don't get complete data with several people who were listed as unknowns.

I wouldn't be surprised either.  The choice to allow someone of sound mind to end their life in the face of a terminal illness, subject to appropriate objective medical review, verification and oversight, is not a difficult choice to implement.

This whole thing just frustrates me.  It usually comes down to the Right to Life people vs. everybody else.  But right to what kind of life?  Don't let a fetus be aborted, but also don't support the woman who you have now forced to be a mother, leaving the baby with a potentially crappy life.  Don't let a suffering person end their suffering, leaving them to continue suffering right until the end.  All of these because "life is precious".  Let's be honest here - some life is precious and some life is pure misery.  It is not for anyone else to dictate to others what kind of life they have.  

Jesus!  It's late, I'm tired and menopausal and really need to shut up.  Good night!

• Like 1

Great, then we'll just leave you the freedom and liberty to take a (meno) pause right there and get back to this later.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daffodil said:

This whole thing just frustrates me.  It usually comes down to the Right to Life people vs. everybody else.  But right to what kind of life?  Don't let a fetus be aborted, but also don't support the woman who you have now forced to be a mother, leaving the baby with a potentially crappy life.  Don't let a suffering person end their suffering, leaving them to continue suffering right until the end.  All of these because "life is precious".  Let's be honest here - some life is precious and some life is pure misery.  It is not for anyone else to dictate to others what kind of life they have.  

Jesus!  It's late, I'm tired and menopausal and really need to shut up.  Good night!

I agree completely. The way I see it, other people do not have a right to tell you what to do with your body and what kinds of decisions you should make about having a baby. I think it's just shortsighted, it doesn't take into consideration what kind of life your child might have. And presenting adoption as the other choice does nothing to acknowledge how difficult and painful it is to one, be forced to carry a child for nine months, bond with that child because that's what happens over nine months, and then have to make a choice about giving them up, because someone else forced you to carry them. It just makes no sense and isn't a solution, imo. It's taking a problematic solution and imposing it on an issue that some want to impose their morals on. 

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.