Goodbye Jesus

Broken by God

DevilsCabanaBoy

What is this Christian view that we must be broken first to appreciate how much God loves us? That belief seems so sick now, but before I really thought the pain I endured was Gods way of chastising me. 

• Sad 1

Xtians are loony, complete mentally ill basket cases. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 5:25 AM, Tripqing said:

What is this Christian view that we must be broken first to appreciate how much God loves us? That belief seems so sick now, but before I really thought the pain I endured was Gods way of chastising me. 

Spot on. It is wrong and it is damaging. I tend to think more and more that Christianity of the Fundy or Fundy-like kind is a danger to mental health and well-being.

• Like 1

It's similar to the Fallen World argument.  It's a poor attempt to explain why bad things happen to otherwise good (i.e. Godly) people.  Add to that the supposedly innate sinfulness of man they deserve pretty much every horrible thing that happens to them.  Like the other members have intimated, it's a sick method of thinking.

To be fair, not all fundamentalists believe this sort of thing.  Andrew Wommack comes to mind, though he's quick to mention that he's been attacked for having that kind of theology.  Whether that's a proud persecution moment or a statement about his contemporaries  (or both) is debatable.

• Like 1

I heard this type of talk in sermons as I was growing up. I'm not sure how many people really subscribed to it literally, though. Hard to imagine!

Sounds like psychological manipulation to me.

Isn't this what happens in the military? They "break you down" so they can "build you up from the ground as a fresh Marine".

• Like 2

On 2/7/2019 at 10:25 PM, Tripqing said:

What is this Christian view that we must be broken first to appreciate how much God loves us?

What is it?

A de facto admission that said god does crappy work and couldn't get it right the first time.  :yelrotflmao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, the church/org I was apart of was based on some pretty retro thinking by some Chinese guys in the early 20th century. 

One of them wrote a book called “the breaking of the outer man the release of the spirit”. It’s been a while since I looked at anything that I once read or had to read but there is some real lonacy here. 

And honestly I’m embarrassed to even share some of the religious material. I once told people these things were real and held the deepest truths. My family still does. 

When I look back I am struck by how specific the loonacy got. That’s what is uncanny for me. I don’t like thinking that people can come up with such specific shit about supposed mythical explanations for things. It kind of scares me to realize how convinced people can get and as kids indoctrinated you don’t have any frame of reference. You don’t know that it’s somewhat normal for human minds to create this array of conviction about things. Society broadly accepts nonsense for centuries.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Samuel said:

Yeah, the church/org I was apart of was based on some pretty retro thinking by some Chinese guys in the early 20th century. 

One of them wrote a book called “the breaking of the outer man the release of the spirit”. It’s been a while since I looked at anything that I once read or had to read but there is some real lonacy here. 

And honestly I’m embarrassed to even share some of the religious material. I once told people these things were real and held the deepest truths. My family still does. 

When I look back I am struck by how specific the loonacy got. That’s what is uncanny for me. I don’t like thinking that people can come up with such specific shit about supposed mythical explanations for things. It kind of scares me to realize how convinced people can get and as kids indoctrinated you don’t have any frame of reference. You don’t know that it’s somewhat normal for human minds to create this array of conviction about things. Society broadly accepts nonsense for centuries.

That's funny and informative. 

17 hours ago, MOHO said:

Sounds like psychological manipulation to me.

Isn't this what happens in the military? They "break you down" so they can "build you up from the ground as a fresh Marine".

Marching to the religious drum. 

On 2/14/2019 at 7:23 PM, Aries256 said:

Xtians are loony, complete mentally ill basket cases. 

Yeah I know. 

19 hours ago, Tsathoggua9 said:

I heard this type of talk in sermons as I was growing up. I'm not sure how many people really subscribed to it literally, though. Hard to imagine!

I thought I was God's wild stallion which needed to be broken in. Better than a lamb I tell you, because its mint sauce after that.