Sign in to follow this  
Fweethawt

Teaching black kids by Christopher Jackson

A lot of this sounds exactly like my 9th grade English class. I only had time to listen to the first few minutes of this but, yeah, just reminds me of 9th grade English class.

Be sure to read a lot of the comments below the video before you start accusing me of being racist for posting this.

• Thanks 1

I just listened to the whole thing.

A lot I already knew from personal experience. The rest is literally saddening.

In case you think the first scene was only a little badinage:

Both scenes from The Hill (1965) starring Sean Connery as Joe Roberts, a busted Squadron Sergeant Major, Harry Andrews as Regimental Sergeant Major Wilson, the RSM of the Detention Barracks (the one wearing the Sam Browne), and Ozzie Davis as Jacko King, a black Pioneer Corps soldier convicted of petty theft.

Casey

For arguments sake lets say we all agree that black culture is broken (drugs praised, violent culture, broken families, lack of education praised, tall poppy syndrome, living on the street glorified, gangs/gangsters worshipped etc). How do you go about tackling that? If it is decades of negative input it would seem a mountainous task to try and overturn those views. How to you get a vast disconnected community to change ideas on mass? 

1 hour ago, Burnedout said:

How do you do it?  Simple, quit rewarding the negative activity.  

I'm not sure I see the reward given for a lot of this mentality.  The rewards for drugs, gangs, violence etc, maybe short term financial gain?  As that activity is illegal anyway it is hard to remove that.  But it goes deeper with the praise and worship of these negative activities.  What reward does anyone get for a dislike of education?  Or for hating people from your community who succeed?

27 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

You are missing the point.  There is obviously an incentive in there somewhere that makes in worth engaging in that activity in their minds.  If they make the incentive for not doing it better than doing it, what ever that may be, they are less likely to do it.  If it is drugs, I say legalize it.  That makes it the forbidden fruit scenario.  Also, if it is legalized, price drops and the dealers lose their ass financially.  Much of it revolved around that.  

We will be having a referendum in NZ on de criminalising weed. Part of my argument for doing so is in line with what you say here. However the argument from the opposition is that legalising is will just expose more young people and we will simply end up with a lot of legalised pot heads drive around stoned and killing people.

What's your response to this argument? I'd assume many in the US would also have a similar view about drug legalisation?

Weed had been legal in Canada since October. Statistics Canada has reported that there has been no appreciable increase in marijuana usage since legalization. Just FWIW.

2 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

The biggest argument against the ones who want to keep it criminal is to point to Prohibition here in the USA.  More people were drinking during that time than before.  Gangsters and bootleggers got rich because of it.  High risk = High reward.  Also, I point out that the government has no business telling me that I cannot place something into my body as long as I am harming nobody but me.  

Agree with the last bit but how do you deal with stoned people turning up to drive heavy machinery? Do you agree in firing them because of the high potential risk of them hurting others because of being under drug influence? 

5 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Agree with the last bit 

Hang on you agree with BO? Are you sure someone hasn't stolen your account? 

I disagree with any arguments that people use for weed that can equally be applied to crack, meths or heroin. Make sure its pure, take money from dealers, gain tax and "its my body". Some drugs are highly addictive, life destroying and damaging to society, these should not be legal.

10 hours ago, Wertbag said:

How do you go about tackling that? If it is decades of negative input it would seem a mountainous task to try and overturn those views. How to you get a vast disconnected community to change ideas on mass? 

Well, you can always try years and years of free housing, money, welfare, medical, education/college programs and unquestioned job placement (affirmative action). 

That might work to turn things around...

... Oh, waitaminute...

We've had legalized weed in Washington state for a few years. Some people do drive stoned, just like they drive drunk, some both or even with more. We put them into detox and jail, then they get out and do it again until they hurt or kill someone, then they go away for a longer time before getting out and doing it again. There is no way to stop it from happening, just like there is no way to stop the tweakers from doing drugs and wandering into coffee shops (or trying to get into my home at 5am about a month or two ago). But there doesn't seem to be a lot more now that it is legal than when it was not. Legalization only let the rest of us enjoy it at home. I've used it for a few years, never when I would be driving or working within a day.

Technically, it will still show up in your system for weeks later, but the effects are generally limited to a few hours (or if you overdo it, 8 hours and then feeling off the next day. I find that it can mess with my sleep modes and I don't feel rested if I have it too close to bedtime. Others say that it helps them sleep.)

[In black culture, gangsters have money and women, seem macho, and have some status. Those are all rare in places with entrenched poverty, so people put them on a pedestal of success since they likely won't escape the ghetto and make a nice life for themselves. Gangs make it seem within reach. As far as I know, they often have no role models for trying to get out and be better, and the impoverished whites are often the same (I have at least one half-cousin that is a scary looking lumber rat. He can climb a huge tree bare handed while very drunk, and that's about all he can do or will ever do.)]

5 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Hang on you agree with BO? Are you sure someone hasn't stolen your account? 

I disagree with any arguments that people use for weed that can equally be applied to crack, meths or heroin. Make sure its pure, take money from dealers, gain tax and "its my body". Some drugs are highly addictive, life destroying and damaging to society, these should not be legal.

We agree on one or two things.... miracles happen, god exists obviously :P 

On principle I agree with it's my body, but along with that also comes the opinion that if one want's to fuck up said body with drugs, alcohol, tobacco, excessive sugar etc then one shouldn't get free healthcare. Now in America this isn't an issue, but here in NZ where you can get stoned, high, and drunk people clogging up our hospitals which is paid for by the people, then this is an issue. So in practicality it doesn't work with our current setup. 

So I agree in principle with BO, but I also think that responsibility goes hand in hand with what you do with your body and there should be consequences for intentionally fucking it up. Now some might argue that... well biking can break your body and therefore the argument applies. No it doesn't. Biking has great benefits, both to the individual and society. The things I listed don't. 

14 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Agree with the last bit but how do you deal with stoned people turning up to drive heavy machinery? Do you agree in firing them because of the high potential risk of them hurting others because of being under drug influence? 

Yes.  Just like if they came in drunk on alcohol.

4 hours ago, Burnedout said:

Who is the arbitrary person/s who decides what is who's responsibility?  What if they are the weak link and their decisions are reckless? What then?

Society does. Like drinking. We've decided that driving while drunk is not responsible and it carries consequences. 

50 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

What if society thinks it is better to shut you off into ghettos is that best?  What is society? Is it a bunch of people following group think? Be careful, is that not one of your fallacies, appeal to consensus? ;) 

Seriously? You are just being stupid and trying to pick a fight.

We agreed that if you want to put poison in your body that's your prerogative (Wertbag thought I'd gone nuts agreeing with you), we also agreed that there were consequences for doing what you want (Turing up to work high, drink driving etc).

No its not an appeal to consensus. Its only an appeal to consensus if I say its right merely because the majority say so. Don't try and use fallacies if you don't know how to apply them properly.

Does society as a whole get things wrong? Sure. Society once thought that homosexuality was bad and punishable. Many disagreed and now society is largely coming round to not harassing or judging them.

10 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

I am not trying to pick a fight.  I just don't trust others at large to decide my morals, what is best for me, and that I should be forced by the power of government to participate in the consensus drawn paternalism. 

So propose a society that works wherein everybody does whatever the fuck they want. Eh I don't like that person, I'll go pop him off, eh I'm stoned I'll drive, bah I'll just dump my waster in this here river. Tell me how a society functions without rules.

"Society" in this case is what we recognise as a group of people living under under common rules.

16 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

Doesn't work?  Says who?  As long as nobody is hurt, physically or financially, in my estimation, it is NOBODY'S business PERIOD. That is called freedom.

Aren't you still as a society under your system imposing rules arbitrarily deciding what is "nobody hurt physically, financially" is? Isn't that what our laws around not murdering people and not drink driving about?

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.