older

First the Catholics and little boys. Now the Baptists and anyone they can get their hands on

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

All the real perverts are in the church pointing their fingers at everyone else.  NOT SUPRISED!

• Like 2

I’m with BO there. Not surprised. Once saved always saved. Hallelujah!! Now I won’t go to hell for molesting little Susie. 

Sick bastards

DB

• Like 2

"However, “prestige” doesn’t quite do justice to the untouchability a religious leader can enjoy in a highly stratified community where it is believed that they have been hand-selected or at least approved by God. Many parishioners see their pastor as the conduit to a higher power and will go to great lengths to protect them even if it means ignoring, blaming and ultimately hurting survivors.

In America, a contributing factor is a strong culture of collective victimhood in the evangelical community. My interviewees and I were taught growing up that evangelicals were the real victims — that the world hated us so much they’d do anything to make us look bad. So, it was our job to represent our community in the best light possible for more people to join us and enter into heaven. The underlying message was clear: a good Christian keeps their mouth shut.

Those who speak out about sexual abuse in authoritarian religious communities are often shamed in an attempt to quiet them. They may be accused of seeking attention, or of trying to bring down a godly man. They may be told they’re selfish — indulging in their own pain when they should be paying attention to the pain they are causing others, including the people who will turn away from the church and spend an eternity in hell because of the poor light they’ve portrayed the church in.

After all, abusers don’t just groom victims, they groom communities, preparing them to rise up and protect them."

From: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/southern-baptist-convention-report-sex-abuse-shines-light-evangelical-culture-ncna970756

Casey

1 hour ago, Casey said:

[A] religious leader can enjoy [untouchability] in a highly stratified community where it is believed that they have been hand-selected or at least approved by God. Many parishioners see their pastor as the conduit to a higher power and will go to great lengths to protect them even if it means ignoring, blaming and ultimately hurting survivors.

I can relate a little story of my own as to that: in 1971, when I was in Catholic boarding school for the first time aged 12, I distinctly remember our whole class being told that if any of us complained about physical (or by implication) sexual abuse especially by the religious staff we'd end up in court where we'd have to prove the truth of what we said. This was (and is) true enough, and rightly so as every accused is entitled to a defense, but it was put in such a way as to convey to us that if we made any such complaint, we'd be regarded and treated as liars and we'd stand no chance at all. Besides which, we were encouraged in other ways to believe that "real men" didn't complain; they grit their teeth and, "On with it got." Thus it was that even after an incident in which I was slapped across the face until I wet myself and nearly passed out, I made no complaint.

Casey

^^^wow that’s fucked up right there^^^ but praise god for his Holy messengers huh?

DB

3 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

^^^wow that’s fucked up right there^^^ but praise god for his Holy messengers huh?

Yeah. But it makes MEN out of 'em, don'tcha know? All jokes aside, I can still mentally see a half dozen plus of the worst scenes that place seared into my mind, and they took place 48 fucking years ago! I was once told by some trick cyclist (slang for a psychiatrist) once that recalling things in detail like that is part of PTSD, but I guess that's life; if you don't like it you can always shoot yourself. Sorry. I get bitter and twisted sometimes.

Casey