Goodbye Jesus

Is there a proof to show that Paul and Gospels are referring to the same character?

George

somehow I feel that Bible manufacturers  picked 3 different sets of books i..,e.,   Paul's letters,  3 synoptic gospels, Gospel John tied them together to create a character called Jesus a.k.a. Christ.

• Super Moderator

It seems to me they took more than just those three to compile the composite of jesus.

On 2/13/2019 at 5:44 AM, George said:

somehow I feel that Bible manufacturers  picked 3 different sets of books i..,e.,   Paul's letters,  3 synoptic gospels, Gospel John tied them together to create a character called Jesus a.k.a. Christ.

Here's some commentary on that general sentiment: 

I think it's quite clear that Paul's Jesus is quite different from, say, Mark's Jesus. You're right as well that John presents a significantly different version than the synoptic gospels do.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading Misquoting Jesus and Jesus, Interrupted by Bart Ehrman. Some relevant stuff there. 

• Like 1

Answering the original question. Scholarly research has established that Paul’s Jesus is a Spiritual being not an earthly one. Nothing in Paul’s writing even suggest Paul’s was aware an earthly Jesus ever existed. Paul seems to think Jesus was crucified in the Spiritual realm not on earth. 

Robert M Price,  Richard Carrier,  David Fitzgerald, and Hermann Detering are good scholarly resources. These scholars acknowledge there is no historical evidence that either Jesus or Paul ever existed in the flesh. The evidence suggest they were both literary figures not actual people. 

• Thanks 1