Goodbye Jesus

God of the bible is not a scientist

DevilsCabanaBoy

"If the bible had any scientific information in it we'd be far more advanced than we are now"

Quoted by a friend.

Yes, the God of the Bible is no scientist. The writers of the Bible probably had no concept of what a scientist was all about.

How could the Bible have had any scientific information in it in that everyone who wrote it was likely very ignorant concerning the little scientific knowledge that existed in those times. The little science that there was at the time of the new testament was brought across and around the Mediterranean by the Greeks,  Macedonians, and the Romans, but generally not believed or respected by Israeli Jews who were the writers of the Bible no doubt.

So true! I read widely as a child, and this was the main reason the fundamentalist mindset promoted by the "Church of Christ" never really infected me. It was obvious from a cursory glance through the so-called "Holy Book" that the various-and-sundry writers wouldn't know science if it came up behind them and bit them on the ass.

• Like 1

The Bible is a collection of myths that reflect the knowledge and theological beliefs of the cultures that produced them. It takes a deeply indoctrinated mind not to recognize that. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 4:50 AM, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

"If the bible had any scientific information in it we'd be far more advanced than we are now"

Quoted by a friend.

You'd better toughen up, boy!!!!

😂

25 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

You'd better toughen up, boy!!!!

😂

Ha ha ha (Sniffles) 

• Haha 1

But the water cycle described in Job!!

31 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

But the water cycle described in Job!!

Oh and the earth being a circle and hangs on nothing, the verses that have convinced generations of JW's that the Bible is packed with science. But this water cycle thing I do not remember. 

• 4 weeks later...

I feel the Bible has some historical, but not scientific, value. However, that value is very miniscule. It talks about a few random kings and kingdoms that we know did actually exist. But, for the most part, the Bible just contains stories, following an unaffirmed bloodline, leading to Jesus. I think it's safe to assume that most of the stories contained in the Bible are embellished upon, or straight up fiction. As far as scientific value, the Bible is a terrible source of information. The world depicted in the Bible is a much different place than Earth, that's for sure. The sun rotates the Earth, which is flat and sitting upon four great pillars. The biblical world is merely a scant 6000 years old, or so. Not the BILLIONS of years old that we know is true. If the Bible is true, it certainly isn't describing Earth, its inhabitants, nor its creation. Maybe we need to be looking for another planet.

The real world scientific record definitely differs from the biblical text, but I'm not convinced the intent of that text was to be scientific. Clearly, it isn't presented in the classical scientific manner.

The primary science presented is a god that allegedly can do everything. That is the basis for biblical science. I think it still safe to say I really can't ask where have the gods gone when the reality is that they never existed to begin with. If they did exist, a simple observation of humanity shows that those gods have failed catastrophically.

Bible god is the most bestest scientist.  The whole universe is proof.  We're just sciencing wrong.  Science is magic.

mwc

• Haha 1