Sign in to follow this  

Progress of Sacrifice?

So a top US Cardinal was pretty much booted from the Church after a Church trail.  Of course, it happened after said Cardinal resigned his commission, but I don't know how much power these old fucks have after they "retire".  Should we expect more cases like this to come down the pipeline or is this just a one-off deal?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/16/us/theodore-mccarrick-defrocked-intl/index.html

• Thanks 1

This could get interesting:

He'll be sentenced in February unless there's an appeal, which is likely.

Casey

and

I suppose the difference is that Pell was charged criminally, while McCarrick was found guilty by the Church itself.  I'm certain that since McCarrick's crimes happened in the early 70s he won't face a criminal court, but that the Church inquiry voluntarily turned up anything is pretty amazing.  I'm just wondering if this is something new or just something to placate the masses (no pun intended) while it's business as usual.

Another difference is that Pell has officially been removed from the Papacy's inner circle, C9. He is still technically the Vatican's Treasurer, although with his conviction that job too might fall vacant.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/dec/13/australian-cardinal-george-pell-removed-from-inner-circle-by-pope-francis

Casey

Up until October last year, the Catholic Church in Australia at least had a way of weaseling out of paying compensation to some of its victims:

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5708963/vile-and-unjust-nsw-parliament-abolishes-catholic-abuse-defence/

This was the so-called Ellis Defense, whereby if a person's abuser was dead, the church was held not to be liable. That's to say, if the parish priest who had abused you had died, the church did not have to compensate you because, as the abuser was dead, the church was allowed to hold no legal responsibility for his actions. 

" The so-called 'Ellis defense', which prevented abuse survivors from suing unincorporated organizations including churches and other institutions, is today abolished after the NSW Government removed a legal road block." The church can no longer shelter its assets in a protected trust, they must now nominate a defendant with sufficient assets to pay a survivor's claim.

The defense was named after a survivor John Ellis, whose claim against the church was refused because his abuser had died.

Casey

When the Church admits to something like this, I'm more swayed that they might actually do something more than talk.  I don't know.  I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but all they know how to do is evil and damage control.  I'm kind of honestly at a loss.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/cardinal-says-catholic-church-destroyed-documentation-sex-abuse-n974941

Is this sort of thing illegal in Germany?  Is there a statute of limitations?

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Up until October last year, the Catholic Church in Australia at least had a way of weaseling out of paying compensation to some of its victims:

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5708963/vile-and-unjust-nsw-parliament-abolishes-catholic-abuse-defence/

This was the so-called Ellis Defense, whereby if a person's abuser was dead, the church was held not to be liable. That's to say, if the parish priest who had abused you had died, the church did not have to compensate you because, as the abuser was dead, the church was allowed to hold no legal responsibility for his actions. 

" The so-called 'Ellis defense', which prevented abuse survivors from suing unincorporated organizations including churches and other institutions, is today abolished after the NSW Government removed a legal road block." The church can no longer shelter its assets in a protected trust, they must now nominate a defendant with sufficient assets to pay a survivor's claim.

The defense was named after a survivor John Ellis, whose claim against the church was refused because his abuser had died.

Casey

That's fucking crazy!  It's good that the Church is finding fewer and fewer places to hide.  You know, fuck 'em.  I hope restitution bankrupts the whole damn institution.  If they want they can build back up from the ashes.

25 minutes ago, 1989 said:

That's fucking crazy!  It's good that the Church is finding fewer and fewer places to hide.  You know, fuck 'em.  I hope restitution bankrupts the whole damn institution.  If they want they can build back up from the ashes.

It won't bankrupt them. The Catholic Church has an amazing amount of wealth.... courtesy of its 1 billion plus congregating paying the churches tithes, plus penances etc

Best extortion racket ever!

Hitler could have taken the Pope hostage (he correctly observed it wouldn't have been the first time this had happened) and then, just to make a thorough job of it, looted the Vatican of its artworks, particularly its gold and silver. After that he could have used his Panzers to turn the place into a parking lot. However he had to resist whatever temptations he had in this line because the blowback from such actions would have been enough to make even him turn pale. Moreover he had many senior officers of the Catholic persuasion who, although they probably didn't particularly care about his being against the Jewish religion, would surely have taken it amiss if he had turned against theirs. They might have taken it amiss enough to start a civil war, which would have been the last straw. Then too, it's not very smart to bite the hand that feeds you ...

Casey

So I see Cardinal Pell got six years for his crimes.  What's striking (or maybe not) is the extent his secular political allies have closed ranks around him.  It's kind of sad, but putting the Church above reproach is the sort of thing that helped lead it into this morass of perversion.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/cardinal-george-pell-sentenced-to-six-years-in-prison-for-child-sex-abuse/ar-BBUH3Vo?OCID=ansmsnnews11

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.