Goodbye Jesus

The truth

DevilsCabanaBoy

Dear Christians, 

Can you explain objectively what the "Truth" really is? 

Can you please follow these guidelines

Truth

NOUN
the quality or state of being true.
"he had to accept the truth of her accusation" synonyms: veracity · truthfulness · verity · sincerity · candour

(the truth)

that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.
"tell me the truth" synonyms: the fact of the matter

a fact or belief that is accepted as true.
"the emergence of scientific truths"

synonyms: fact · verity · certainty · certitude · law · principle

1 hour ago, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

Dear Christians, 

Can you please follow these guidelines

Truth

NOUN
the quality or state of being true.
"he had to accept the truth of her accusation" synonyms: veracity · truthfulness · verity · sincerity · candour

(the truth)

that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.
"tell me the truth" synonyms: the fact of the matter

a fact or belief that is accepted as true.
"the emergence of scientific truths"

synonyms: fact · verity · certainty · certitude · law · principle

Your pasted definition includes "a...belief that is accepted as true" as a definition of truth.  This would allow any belief to be claimed as a truth.  I suspect that those who answer will not necessasrily answer your primary question of, "Can you explain objectively what the "Truth" really is?"

Of course, if the capitalize word "Truth" has some additional or different meaning than the lower case word "truth", then all bets are off.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sdelsolray said:

Your pasted definition includes "a...belief that is accepted as true" as a definition of truth.  This would allow any belief to be claimed as a truth.  I suspect that those who answer will not necessasrily answer your primary question of, "Can you explain objectively what the "Truth" really is?"

Of course, if the capitalize word "Truth" has some additional or different meaning than the lower case word "truth", then all bets are off.

That I think is in a scientific manner, such as a hypothesis that is believed before it has been disproven. I doubt Christians have even gotten that far with their beliefs. 

I think Aron Ra has a good definition of truth: "Truth is that which is concordant with reality".

If Christians try and put god outside of reality then by definition that god doesn't exist. Now I'll accept that there might be some reality that we are as yet unaware of. However in that case a god existing beyond OUR reality and not revealing itself is functionally the same as a god that doesn't exist. And if god does manifest in reality then again by definition that god would be real and should be demonstrable.

I'm still waiting for the demonstrable part...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I think Aron Ra has a good definition of truth: "Truth is that which is concordant with reality".

If Christians try and put god outside of reality then by definition that god doesn't exist. Now I'll accept that there might be some reality that we are as yet unaware of. However in that case a god existing beyond OUR reality and not revealing itself is functionally the same as a god that doesn't exist. And if god does manifest in reality then again by definition that god would be real and should be demonstrable.

I'm still waiting for the demonstrable part...

That's the conclusion I've come to also, there seems to be a lack of demonstration in accordance to their beliefs. 

• Like 1

No Christian's, inner transformation and bizarre experiences are not demonstrable proof. 

37 minutes ago, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

That I think is in a scientific manner, such as a hypothesis that is believed before it has been disproven.

Sorry.  I do not understand what you are trying to say.  Could you rephrase this sentence?

51 minutes ago, sdelsolray said:

Sorry.  I do not understand what you are trying to say.  Could you rephrase this sentence?

This short YouTube clip will help you understand. 

No but seriously, I think you can believe something that's true so long as it's grounded on elements of fact and can be demonstrated theoretically.

12 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Were I in a picky mood,  I might say that this is not really an answer,  since "reality" is not well defined. 

I mean, "reality" is usually taken to mean something like "the actual state of things as they are" or, equivalently, "things as they truly are". So this is basically an impredicative definition. It reduces to something like "truth is that which is concordant with things as they truly are" or, put more simply,  "truth is truth". Not terribly helpful. A good deal better than "truth isn't truth", though...

4 hours ago, disillusioned said:

Were I in a picky mood,  I might say that this is not really an answer,  since "reality" is not well defined. 

I mean, "reality" is usually taken to mean something like "the actual state of things as they are" or, equivalently, "things as they truly are". So this is basically an impredicative definition. It reduces to something like "truth is that which is concordant with things as they truly are" or, put more simply,  "truth is truth". Not terribly helpful. A good deal better than "truth isn't truth", though...

I think he breaks it down further. I'll have to look up hos definition.

If you want to get way too picky, the SEP article on correspondence theories of truth is fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Christians, 

Posing the question in that manner sets them up for failure as they cannot be objective seeing their motivation is based on a belief. They are compelled by belief only that the obvious answer to them is that the truth is found in their book of truth, which is far from objective. To me, it comes across as a baited question and seems that you are looking for a very specific response.

Out of mere curiosity, what do you hope to achieve with this question?